Fatip Piccolo 'Special Edition".

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Yeah, OK...so I weakened. Just ordered this Fatip (comes with the 2 base plates...Gentile and OC).
https://www.fatip.it/en/collection/black/piccolo-special-edition/
Read a few varied reviews about it.
Actually started looking at Gillette OLD's, NEW SC's, etc but for the money the Fatip seemed to be a no-brainer.
I'm down to only a few razors now. The Mamba, Game Changer, Gillette Tech, and Gillette Slim Twist are all I have now. The Twist is my take away razor for when I'm away with my tanker driving duties.
So I figured I 'needed' another razor. Would like a SS Karve but that would be like winning Lotto to get one of them sometime in the next 12 months.
But at $60ish dollars the Fatip won't break the bank, and I get a new toy to play with.
There's a few hundred blades arriving soon from RBC too. I've read that the OC Fatip head is a tad gnarly, so I will be having fun trying different blades to see what works best.
Am I doomed? Will the Fatip carve me up and spit me out?
Anyone have the Fatip and tried various blades in it. Good, bad, yeah, nah?

Very keen to hear how it goes for you. I have two of the Gillette New LCs' razors and like them very much. Like yourself I have to travel a bit for work and would like to take something that would not result in me on the ground in the foetal position, weeping if it was damaged.

Also have read many varied reviews on the Fat Tip. Some say it is exceptionally mild others say it is like shaving with a chainsaw. Again look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Here’s some pictures below of the Fatip Piccolo 'Special Edition"

Piccolo-Special-Edition3.jpg

Piccolo-Special-Edition2.jpg

Yes @tullfan the version 2 heads are milder (by a tad), and don't have quite the same amount of QC issues the version 1 heads had.
I do notice that some folks (but not all) with the v2 still have some blade alignment problems.
I just wanted 'something' OC (sort of Gillette OLD style), but didn't want to faff about with buying an OLD razor, replating to look nice, and spend more than was warranted (I don't like grotty razors...they got to shine!)
The Fatip may be OK, as I wanted a bit more bite than my other razors which are all fairly mild.
I'll know in a couple of days time. If it doesn't perform how I want it will be on the BST quite quickly.
But it certainly looks nice.

OK, had my first shave. It's great...very smooth and close with either baseplate.
Now, I'm looking to make life easy so I studied the new razor and thought about the need to swap the baseplates around.
No problems...I already have a few spare handles and caps from other (now dead) razors.
So, I bunged on an Ikon Tuckaway handle, and Muhle R89 cap to the 'Gentile' baseplate. It all fits together well.
Here's what I now have (2 razors for the price of 1).

I also have the Ikon Shavecraft 101 cap and it fits too.
The Fatip cap has a Tech contour/shape/size , plus the Ikon 101 cap and the Muhle R89 cap. Probably a Gillette OLD cap would fit too but I don't have one (yet) to try.

So, no trouble to make up any combination of Frankenrazor you want. They will all shave the same.
My choice is the OC version as it looks so cool! (and gives a nice smooth shave. Ignore any horror stories you read about rough shaves. These are very nice shavers).
Only caveat is that you have to align the blades yourself. These aren't finely crafted CNC stainless jobbies.
Just align the blade squarely before final tightening of the cap. Hell, even my Tech needs this so I'm not complaining about a few seconds extra work when I change a blade.

Worth buying?...For sure. Good value, good looks (?), great shave and if you have a spare handle and cap laying around you too can have 2 for the price of 1.

Last edited:
Dam you @Blackie You were supposed to say it shaved horribly and don't wast your money. Now it looks like I will have to justify not buying one. Well I have a DOC cap a Gillette New LC cap and a handle or two lying around. I can see it now.. Honey.. it is like two razors for the price of one.;)

Last edited:
Dam you @Blackie You were supposed to say it shaved horribly and don't wast your money. Now it looks like I will have to justify not buying one. Well I have a DOC cap a Gillette New LC cap and a handle or two lying around. I can see it now.. Honey.. it is like two razors for the price of one.;)
Ha ha @Don Yep...I'm heading for an 'Enabler' banner.
I don't know how the NEW cap will work. The cap needs (?) the 2 wee pins pointing down to align the blade/baseplate. Though, I guess that the 2 pins don't matter much anyway. Just align the blade as you tighten the cap down. It's not going to move once it's all tightened up. The OLD or NEW Improved have the 2 pins.
Go on, you know you need one...and otherwise those spare caps and handles will just go to waste won't they?