Favourite Coffee

Nick,
Your obviously a bit of a kitchen man. How about your method for plunger coffee. I love a good cup and to those ends have an Aldi Pod (never able to get it to work consistently) a plunger (never got the hang of what size grind to use) and a suoer duoer deLonghi with milk frother, tamper and built in Xmas tree lights (maybe not the last but you get the idea). I like a big cup of coffee when I have one, never really got the hang of these eggcup size cups that gives you a single slurp and its gone. So talk to me about plungers please (and I will trade you the worlds best bread roll recipe).

Glen

Glen,

I do fancy myself as a bit of a kitchen wizz....but only within pretty conservative paramaters....haha yuo won't find me knocking up beetroot flavoured macaroons or frying off foie gras in truffle oil!

Suffice to say you know enough about coffee that I'm not going to be able to tell you anything overly NEW or groundbreaking. Nearly everything with coffee is a craft, rather than an exact science...hence there are very few ways that are the RIGHT way, only what works best for a % of folks.

Pod machines I've kinda covered. Delonghi's espresso machines are regarded as very average - I know a lot of folks who've bought them who've had all kinds of issues with them. They've seemed to focus on fully auto machines (which are barely a step up from pod machines IMHO) recently. Used their machines a few times, not impressed but few folks really into their coffee tend to with go with them...seem to gravitate more with Rancilio, Gaggia and then your upper level Breville/Sunbeams.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you have a BAD machine - but its realistic that any results you get with it may not properly reflect the reasonably hefty pricetag the 'Xmas Tree lights' Delonghi's seem to have. But I digress......

Coffee brewing is even more of a craft as there's so many ways to do it and a number of different variables will interact with each other to affect the results. What a smart chappy does is knows what they like in a brew and also some of these variables and any fixed ones (e.g the relative characteristics, roast depth of the beans used) and adjusts the other variables to get as close as possible to the desired result.

In no particular order some of the variables are:
  • type of coffee used (variety, roast depth/darkness): certain bean varieties are better suited to certain brewing methods, likewise as a general rule of thumb non-espresso brewing methods tend to favour lighter roasted beans.
  • Grind size of coffee: With certain brewing methods you MUST have a certain & CONSISTANT grind size - especially with espresso extraction - thats why they always say to spend as much on your machine as you do on the grinder (always funny when you see someone with a $500+ machine using a $30 blade using CHOPPER ! Hmm wonder why he's underwhelmed with the results! Must be a burr grinder of some type, no choppers.
  • Water temperature used
  • Amount of coffee used
  • Type of beverage required e.g latte, americano, short black, ristretto
  • Brewing/steeping time before extraction of 'coffee' from grounds

I'd say they're the main variables - there's a few more minor ones but if you nail those for any extraction method you'll get a great beverage.

Suffice to say regardless of your brewing methodology you should ALWAYS grind your beans ON DEMAND. This is the absolute biggest difference in the end result any home brewer can make. So never, ever, ever....buy pre-ground coffee. The rule is within several MINUTES of being ground the taste will be adversely affected. And it doesn't matter if they're vacuum packed or whatever. So grind on demand.

Personally I use a little Kyocera ceramic hand grinder, which although labourious to those who need INSTANT java I like as it gives great results, is super easy to maintain, basically bulletproof and has zero footprint + I can take with me wherever I like.

The other SIMPLE thng to do is try and find a source for freshly roasted coffee beans. Roasted beans will generally need to rest for a few days after roasting but then you've got around 2-4weeks to consume them before again the taste goes downhill fast. Supermarket beans are a very distant cousin to properly artisan roasted beans and with online retailers there's no excuse for not finding a good source. Try and go local if you can as you will not want to buy in BIG lots (as the 2-4week consumption time) so postage can be a killer on multiple small orders.

Make sure you store the beans in a cool, dark place - ideally a vacuum type container (I've even heard of folks using old wine bottles and using a lil hand pump intended for wine to remove the air via a special stopper) otherwise 1-way valve bags are available at good retailers of fresh coffee (the beans give off CO2 after roasting which the valve lets out but won't let outside air in).

Gawd this is turning in a novella.... ;-)

Umm so plunger.....okay, first pre-heat your plunger before you do anything. Like I said mine is a stainless steel one, most folks have the glass ones that tend to last a few months before managing to get broken in some way or another!

Grind your beans......this is where it gets a tad tricky as grind size - amount of coffee used - steep time all are VERY heavily related. e.g very course grind and long steep/lots of coffee might be the same as fine grind +short steep+small amount of coffee. Its very logical.

Anyway I'll generally always make coffee for 2 persons - so this uses 10-12g of whole beans per person. I'll grind this with the grinder adjusted so the coffee is around the size of white sugar granules.

We tend to go a tad frenchie at breakfast and have latte style coffees.....so I heat 1/2 our mugs of milks in the microwave (don't overheat, coffee should be ready to drink as soon as made, not needing to cool!). Very conveniently this takes 2min on timer.

Meanwhile I boil the jug.....and pour the water out of the plunger which was preheating it - and transfer the coffee into it. I use a little thermometer to check to ensure that the water is ONLY poured in at ~93degrees (90-95 is a good range). And very importantly I only put in around 100-150ml of water per person! Its important NOT to use too much water or you end up overextracting and get bitterness.

As soon as I pour the water in I'll press start on the microwave - so thats very convenient as I like to allow a maximum of 2min to steep (again most people steep their plunger for like 5min+ and wonder why it tastes muddy/bitter!)

Plunge when the 2min is up - pour into mugs of hot milk. Now here's a key bit - rather than using extra hot water in the making to get the desired volume I use the set amount ~100-150ml per person BUT at the end I top up the mug with hot water from the jug.

Hence it sounds like you drink what's referred to as Americano style....your mug might contain 400ml but you'd top up with hot water at the end. Now obviously you have to get to know how strong you make the initial brew to make this work for you e.g amount of coffee/steep time/grind size. But again its very logical.

And then finally there is one VERY important bit that plunger users very often neglect.......remove the plunger head/screen and rise/wash this off IMMEDIATELY after making while it is still hot! Most people seem to leave it there until they next come to make coffee and all the oils etc have cooled and gone stale/rancid and this is much harder to clean and thus makes a new brew tainted. Hot water straight after use will be good enough 9 out of 10 days.

Oh and try not to store the plunger bit IN the vessel/cylinder - this tends to squish the wire screen bit and so you lose that really nice tight fit.

Umm the main thing is that you have to master those few variables for the style/strength/size drink you want......but its really very easy to repeat after that. Very basic concepts but most folks just do it the one way they've only ever known (LOADS of boiling water straight into espresso size ground supermarket coffee that they steep for 5mins and then proceed to top up out of for the next 20mins) - and they can't wait to go to a proper Barista and drink better coffee!!!! Wonder why? ;-)

Hope that helps, sorry for being verbose but didn't want to shortcut you the info. :)

Now before folks think "What a coffeesnob/wanker!" (oops should I'm STILL TOO late? ;-) - let me say these are a great fit for a lot of people and deliver consistantly reasonable coffee to people with a minimum of fuss. Essentially they've targeted two crowds....those who would otherwise drink instant/similar and those who had entry level espresso machines but didn't like the stuffing around with them. For them it works and the vast majority of them think the results are fantastic.

By anyone's definition this is a good product for these consumer.

Most people aren't into the ritual. I'm no expert, but I think when you find a pods you like, it's pretty good coffee. Although my only benchmarks are the Seaco and anything from Dome or Gloria Jeans. The last two are swill IMO. THe next worst from that is any coffee I had in the US a few years. Vile stuff, every drop of it.

Reading your posts, I'm of the (uneducated) mind that the single biggest difference between your coffee and anything consumer produced, is that you roast and grind yourself, from FRESH. I would have thought it was fkin hard to go wrong from there, unless you burn it.

And my god, if the markups on coffee itself aren't good enough, I can only imagine the margin that the pod makers get on each pod - especially the legit Nespresso ones.

All this said the real grudge I have against them is their terrible packaging waste....dunno if any of them are using 100% biodegradable materials for their pods but this use and discard type product is kinda a shame in 2012.

The markup is only stiff if you're comparing it to doing it from scratch, as you do. To be fair, maybe you should factor in the cost/life of your gear into it, and then see how the cost/cup comes out? {some people will feel the need for a smiley here...}

The pods are a little more than the cost of buying the beans I was getting. I got these from the Saeco dealer and paid about $34 a bag. This made around 60 coffess. 60 pods were $42.

I went into the Nespresso store to stock up, and Nestle are sinking a shed load of $$ into this thing. They're doing the whole 'lifestlye' branding shit, the staff and trained within an inch of their lives, and the focus is on upsell and accessories. I'll bypass that shit and just buy coffee, thanks.

One concession I might make is getting the container to take in pods for recycling. I could recycle home in green bin, but that mean I have to clean out the grinds first and I can't be arsed.

Last edited:
Most people aren't into the ritual.
Granted, but IMHO there's ritual and then there's other things in between it and the almost instant provision of a beverage. I have to note that nearly everyone here probably does to a significant degree understand the concept of more hassle/longer prep for better rewards....otherwise we'd all be discussing the latest cart 8 bloaded offering or the new can-o-goo.

I'm no expert, but I think when you find a pods you like, it's pretty good coffee.
Couldn't agree more, like I tried to imply - its whateverworkforyou. Someone reading this will swear by his International Roast, c'est la vie.

Reading your posts, I'm of the (uneducated) mind that the single biggest difference between your coffee and anything consumer produced, is that you roast and grind yourself, from FRESH. I would have thought it was fkin hard to go wrong from there, unless you burn it.
You mean my own personal coffee? Umm well I blend or single origin roast from green. Stuffing up the roasting or blending is easy enough, brewing via plunger/french press is very foolproof when you do the basic stuff I've alluded to. Even the best baristas tend to have to toss a shot of two they extract via an espresso machine. So essentially what you say is correct. However, roasting is such a craft that even after a few yrs I'm very much learning.

Roasters will do multiple lots each day...and serious home roasters will hve expensive gear thats programmable etc and monitor the roasts via software on their PC that gets temp readouts via an attached thermocouple.....haha I kid you not. I don't do any of this. They mainly do this to ensure repeatability etc - very logical but I don't mind it varying as I'm always playing with the blend and depth of roast etc.

Plus I recognise that coffee roasting is a craft you can LOSE yourself in. That doesn't interest me.

The markup is only stiff if you're comparing it to doing it from scratch, as you do. To be fair, maybe you should factor in the cost/life of your gear into it, and then see how the cost/cup comes out? {some people will feel the need for a smiley here...}
I highly doubt it. The companies are dumb, they've rejuvinated the pod technology for a reason and the profit margin is the key driver. Even if we assume store bought roasted coffee.....I use around 10g whole bean per person. Hence lets say 1kg is $20 in the shops (supermarket Vittoria level price which is on par with most pods). Thats 100 servings@ 20c each.

I generally get green beans around the $12-15/kg mark. 1kg of green roasts down to ~800g. So $20/kg is also not too far off.

My equipment? For roasting its essentially a heat gun and an old breadmaker. Brewing is $30 plunger and $50 Kyocera grinder. I had a tough childhood so am a tad frugal, much to my wife's chagrin.

But anyway - brewing coffees at home in ANY MANNER isn't about $$$, as they're all much more cost effective than paying a minimum of $3.50 for entry level commercial 'luckydip' coffee. I'd say our 'machine'/capital costs wash each other out - leaving ~cost per serve for you at perhaps $0.70per with me at ~20c. I'm sure you save more than 50c worth of time, so like I said $$$ isn't that important. Its a personal taste thing.

I went into the Nespresso store to stock up, and Nestle are sinking a shed load of $$ into this thing. They're doing the whole 'lifestlye' branding shit, the staff and trained within an inch of their lives, and the focus is on upsell and accessories. I'll bypass that shit and just buy coffee, thanks.
Yes, as I said I find this REBIRTHING of pods kinda odd.....the pod machine I had was a Krups Nespresso and I actually bought it by accident, not knowing it was a pod machine (I thought normal espresso). Suffice to say I quickly onsold it to some poor soul. Then for many yrs there was nothing on the pod front as espresso machines were all the domestic rage.

Then a few yrs back automatic home espresso machines took off - but they were always very expensive and prone to major mechanical issues and iffy results at best. Hence I think pods coming back in made sense from the marketers perspective and I'd imagine sales figures back this punt up.

One concession I might make is getting the container to take in pods for recycling. I could recycle home in green bin, but that mean I have to clean out the grinds first and I can't be arsed.
Oh they recycle them do they? Thats a good idea and though prolly mainly a PR move to deflect what it one of the main criticisms of the pod concept its a good thing.

I did notice that a company was selling resusable pods that you could fill with your own ground coffee and then use. I'm sure they'll have something fully biodegradable soon. Anyway as I have repeatedly said pods work very well and do exactly what they;re designed to do, on that basis they're hard to fault. :)

Yes, as I said I find this REBIRTHING of pods kinda odd.....the pod machine I had was a Krups Nespresso and I actually bought it by accident, not knowing it was a pod machine (I thought normal espresso). Suffice to say I quickly onsold it to some poor soul. Then for many yrs there was nothing on the pod front as espresso machines were all the domestic rage.

I think they needed to make it work - the Gillette model is pretty much the same. Sell the hardware at an attractive price and reap the profits from the patented consumables.

Then stick a shitload of money into marketing and use the biggest name you can afford with the right demographic appeal. George Clooney. Women want him, he knows it, but won't stick with 'em and they still love it, and because of that blokes want to be him.

Last edited:
Roasters will do multiple lots each day...and serious home roasters will hve expensive gear thats programmable etc and monitor the roasts via software on their PC that gets temp readouts via an attached thermocouple.....haha I kid you not. I don't do any of this. They mainly do this to ensure repeatability etc - very logical but I don't mind it varying as I'm always playing with the blend and depth of roast etc.

I completely believe it. Those who like to cook Yank-style BBQ have similar devices to maintain a consistent temperature in their Ceramic charcoal cookers (Big Green Egg, Kamado). There's a reasonable thread over at OCAU on the very subject, plus some amazing looking pictures of food that makes me hungry every time I venture into the thread!

I'm learning how to use the Corretto (sp?) again as it has been acouple of years since I got the old breadmaker out.

Do you use any form of thermometer to monitor the roast Nick? My first new attempt was pretty bad. Took too long to get to first crack, then too quick to second. Meaning some beans are slightly pitted and exuding oil, while others are barely brown.

I am wondering whether to get one of these to use in both the bbq and coffee roasting

(your post mentioning roasting in another thread made me necro this one instead of going off topic over there)

I'm learning how to use the Corretto (sp?) again as it has been acouple of years since I got the old breadmaker out.

Do you use any form of thermometer to monitor the roast Nick? My first new attempt was pretty bad. Took too long to get to first crack, then too quick to second. Meaning some beans are slightly pitted and exuding oil, while others are barely brown.

I am wondering whether to get one of these to use in both the bbq and coffee roasting

(your post mentioning roasting in another thread made me necro this one instead of going off topic over there)

Sheez another corretto user eh! My brother!

Oh man of course, you have to have a thermometer otherwise it'd be very hard to make sure you're ontrack etc to hit that first crack around ~12min. I drilled a hole through the corner of the breadmaker & the baking container - right on the apex of the corner (where the two sides meet). Did it at around the right height so that it'd always be covered by the weight of beans I generally roast (~500g per roast).

Just used one of the super cheap digital thermometers .....hold it in place on the outside of the breadmaker with some bluetack. Haha just remember to remove it beofre you yank the beans/container out from the roast. It works really well and I have to laugh at all the guys who use expensive thermocouples with multimeters & laptops. A tad of overkill IMHO.

Mine's kinda like this but you can get for about $5 delivered, they're all about the same.

You can have over 10 of these for the same money as that other one. My current one has been working for over 3yrs, not even a battery change. Also use it daily to check the water temp for my coffee brewing. Great lil thing.

Hmm that roast you did sounds a bit nasty....good luck drinking that one. Where do you get your green beans from? I've found that Bean Green are the best value for me, mainly as they give free postage on orders over $50.

I used to use Coffee Snobs and Ministry Grounds but after I ordered $50 of coffee I'd have a postage bill of $16 or so. Hence whilst Bean Green are a lil more expensive on some stuff I find them a better deal overall.

Last edited:
I used to use Coffee Snobs and Ministry Grounds but after I ordered $50 of coffee I'd have a postage bill of $16 or so. Hence whilst Bean Green are a lil more expensive on some stuff I find them a better deal overall.

I have previously used (and still have around 7KG of beans from) Coffeesnobs. Not purchased greens from elsewhere yet as I wasn't aware of other places offering them.
I used to like the forum, but the problem of sponsors having too much influence puts me off throwing much more money in their direction.

Might have to look at the other two and see what they have to offer.

I have previously used (and still have around 7KG of beans from) Coffeesnobs. Not purchased greens from elsewhere yet as I wasn't aware of other places offering them.
I used to like the forum, but the problem of sponsors having too much influence puts me off throwing much more money in their direction.

Might have to look at the other two and see what they have to offer.

Yes, I used to buy 8kg or so of beans at once but they tend to have a shelf life of around 12mths and can start yellowing if you leave too long. Cuuld also be tricky with your temps/humidity up there.

It annoyed me that at CS you had to buy a min. of 2.5kg of each bean. For a home roaster thats just a tad much. CS does have the best beans but their postage is a tad high IMHO.

...they tend to have a shelf life of around 12mths and can start yellowing if you leave too long. Cuuld also be tricky with your temps/humidity up there.

Shh, but I keep mine in an air conditioned server room at work.

When I lived in Cairns, I used to go 1/3s with two other roasters that I knew, so it meant we could try a lot more beans than we otherwise would be able to. Not possible up here yet.

Down to my last 500g of green so after much indecision ordered the following from Bean Green:

Rwanda Inzovu Cooperative
Options: Size: 1kg $13

PNG Kimel A

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Grade 2 Washed - 1kg

Indonesian Sumatran Mandheling ' Kuda Mas'

Brazil Daterra Estate - Sweet Collection

Monte Alegre Estate - Natural
Options: Size: 1kg $11

The 2 last ones are the 'blenders' all the others are reasonably bright and floral, with the Kuda Mas being very eartly and chocolatey. So should balance out reasonably well.

As always though blending is a very inexact science....especially when you're pre-roast blending like me. But I've found that the coffee is much more enjoyable blended than done as single origin.

I generally try and stay sub-$15/kg for my green as I think that above this doesn't really show up in the cup, not with my roasting anyway. ;-)

All this was $76 delivered....6kg. If I'd bought over at CS etc for the same type of amount I'd have $25 postage on this! Plus could only have gotten 2 varieties, this makes Bean Green the best option for me.

As always though blending is a very inexact science....especially when you're pre-roast blending like me. But I've found that the coffee is much more enjoyable blended than done as single origin.

I generally try and stay sub-$15/kg for my green as I think that above this doesn't really show up in the cup, not with my roasting anyway. ;-)

All this was $76 delivered....6kg. If I'd bought over at CS etc for the same type of amount I'd have $25 postage on this! Plus could only have gotten 2 varieties, this makes Bean Green the best option for me.

I would wince if I had to pay over $15/kg, although I don't think that price is too far away as the market price is rising rapidly.

I am the opposite with regards to blending. I like tasting the differences between the origins, and indeed between different roast profiles of the same bean.

Except for the wild beans I roasted last week, and just had a cup of. I could see as it was pouring into the cup that it was a sink shot, but that must be the worst coffee I have made in a long while. I put most of that down to the roast, although it could just be that they were a $6/kg wild harvest.

When I have used up this 7.5kg I will look around as that deal sounds far better than CS these days.

FWIW my order from Bean Green showed up, very well packed - they've actually upgraded the bags they use too to recyclable valved bags, which is nice.

Worth noting is that I weighed every single bean variety I got and EVERY SINGLE ONE was well over the amount ordered.....more than half of them were +10% over! Which is a nice lil extra. Highly recommend them.

Lets kick a few threads along, I'll try to start with this one.

My favourite coffee is a Doppio ristretto macchiato, preferably made with Ethiopian beans!

What is everyone else's?

Doppio by the boys at Ona Manuka - they know how to make it just right ...

I use Nespresso pods because I like them.

Ran out and had to buy some Coles compatible pods today. I got the sumatran Fair Trade...not too bad, but they taste a little dusty, if that makes sense.

The Nespresso pods are good but I've been buying 5 Senses coffee beans lately. No idea where it comes from.

5 Senses are very good roasters, their blends would be from up to 4-5 diffrent origins to get the flavour profile they are after.
From playing around at home, I've found just changing one origin to another in a blend can chenge the flavour of a coffee in small and large ways!