Favourite Coffee

By baby roaster, do you mean the FZ RR 700?

I was tempted with buying one of them. The fact you can brew within minutes of finishing roasting sounds like madness and I want to try it!

Yep, the FZ RR 700 is often called the Baby Roaster.

It is a bit different and it took me a few roasts to get the hang of it but now I love the thing.

You can brew straight away and it is good and is a good sample roaster for that reason but nowadays I usually let it rest overnight because I tend to roast a bit later in the day..

I have the motorised one but I give it a quick shake about every 30 seconds and get really even roasts.

That wine bottle idea sounds great @Nick the Knife , I am going to check that out, so thanks for that idea. Do you give them time to de-gas a bit at first?
I used to put in a valved bag for a few days and then transfer over but really I can't see the issue with the CO2 being given off in the bottle - you do definitely notice it as you'll remove as much of the air as possible and then for a few days after roasting it'll have no 'vacuum' left when you open it in the morning (I used to rest all my roasts for several days but now quite happily consume the next day).

Can't see any downside and if anything transferring from one bag to the bottle just oxidises the beans - so I no longer do this.

Is a handy way to store the beans, best I've found - just need a medium sized funnel to put them in. 20 secs of pumping after you get the beans out and it'll stay relatively airfree so several days.

That wine bottle idea sounds great @Nick the Knife , I am going to check that out, so thanks for that idea. Do you give them time to de-gas a bit at first?
I used to put in a valved bag for a few days and then transfer over but really I can't see the issue with the CO2 being given off in the bottle - you do definitely notice it as you'll remove as much of the air as possible and then for a few days after roasting it'll have no 'vacuum' left when you open it in the morning (I used to rest all my roasts for several days but now quite happily consume the next day).

Can't see any downside and if anything transferring from one bag to the bottle just oxidises the beans - so I no longer do this.

Is a handy way to store the beans, best I've found - just need a medium sized funnel to put them in. 20 secs of pumping after you get the beans out and it'll stay relatively airfree so several days.

Thanks for that Nick.

Using the FF RR baby there seems to be a lot less gas given off than the Corretto roasts. I notice that the valve bags hardly blow up using the baby.

I rewired my bread-maker today after months of living in fear that I would electrocute myself.

It worked and it ended up really easy to do after hours of study.

I finished too late to do a roast but I am really stoked.

I didn't get to my FZ RR Baby today but am gonna have a roast day on Wednesday which is my next day off.