Favourite style scuttle/bowl/cup

I prefer the Captain's Choice shallow bowl and is very comfortable in the hand without making too much clanging noise against the handle, easy peasy.

IMG_0110.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, got a Captains Choice lather bowl. Love it to the point that I'm considering getting a 2nd one.
I haven't used others so I can't really compare, but edges curve inwards to stop lather spilling, it has some grooves and should last as long as I don't drop it. I've never felt the need for a handle as I hold the bowl in the palm. Just measured my bowl and it's a bit over 12cm in diameter to give you an idea.

I don't travel, but I suspect if I do i'll be using a hotel mug and shaving cream just to make things easier.

Old pic
bNVaiRSl.jpg

I was using a Shaving Factory mug (knock off of the mug that Edwin Jagger sell) but found it only useful if I stick a puck in and lather from that. Picked up a Fine Lather Bowl via WCS (Maggard sell them also) and love the ease of use. It's similar to those used by others but has a handle. I'm waiting for the PAA travel scuttle to arrive and will post my thoughts in the coming days :nailbiting:

I was using a Shaving Factory mug (knock off of the mug that Edwin Jagger sell) but found it only useful if I stick a puck in and lather from that. Picked up a Fine Lather Bowl via WCS (Maggard sell them also) and love the ease of use. It's similar to those used by others but has a handle. I'm waiting for the PAA travel scuttle to arrive and will post my thoughts in the coming days :nailbiting:
I'll be looking forward to the thoughts on the Crown King.

Those Captains Choice seem to be a good design,I like the lip on the top to stop overflow.

I had one similar to this last year but dropped it. Hoping to be able to replace it this year. It was a really nice size for lathering and as a bonus it would float in the basin so in winter it would keep the lather warm.
Alas,I do not have sufficient permissions yet to view.

onhuDFQl.jpg

I love the symmetrical pottery bowl I purchased recently @RustyBlade

Every now and again you come accross pieces that you can tell had some love put into them. This is one of those pieces. It is of exceptional quality, it’s a great size and weight, easy to hold and above all functional. The fact that it is visually appealing is just the cherry on top of a delightful cake.
The cost to land this in the UK was prohibitively expensive. Take shipping at half of the cost of the bowl again, VAT and Import Duty (calculated from a total including shipping) plus a ‘handling fee’ from the postal service here and you have yourself a ridiculous total.
Is it all worth the price paid? Only the individual can answer that. Do you like hand made shoes, tailored suits? If the answer is yes you’ll probably cough up for a bowl like this, if not, you’ll probably pick up a bowl whilst being dragged around Ikea and say to yourself ‘that’ll do nicely’

2UMTe7il.jpg

I’m someone who likes to use a bowl. I like to get a lather 1/2 to 3/4 there and then finish off on the face (A penchant that extends beyond lathering) I like to see my lather building, keep holding the bowl up and get my snout in there and savour and think about that scent someone’s lovingly crafted. My previous bowl to this one was a Saponificio Varesino Grail which I also loved and was also a very functional piece. It had a lot to live up to and didn’t disappoint.

TLDR - Symmetrical bowls are ace.

onhuDFQl.jpg

I love the symmetrical pottery bowl I purchased recently @RustyBlade

Every now and again you come accross pieces that you can tell had some love put into them. This is one of those pieces. It is of exceptional quality, it’s a great size and weight, easy to hold and above all functional. The fact that it is visually appealing is just the cherry on top of a delightful cake.
The cost to land this in the UK was prohibitively expensive. Take shipping at half of the cost of the bowl again, VAT and Import Duty (calculated from a total including shipping) plus a ‘handling fee’ from the postal service here and you have yourself a ridiculous total.
Is it all worth the price paid? Only the individual can answer that. Do you like hand made shoes, tailored suits? If the answer is yes you’ll probably cough up for a bowl like this, if not, you’ll probably pick up a bowl whilst being dragged around Ikea and say to yourself ‘that’ll do nicely’

2UMTe7il.jpg

I’m someone who likes to use a bowl. I like to get a lather 1/2 to 3/4 there and then finish off on the face (A penchant that extends beyond lathering) I like to see my lather building, keep holding the bowl up and get my snout in there and savour and think about that scent someone’s lovingly crafted. My previous bowl to this one was a Saponificio Varesino Grail which I also loved and was also a very functional piece. It had a lot to live up to and didn’t disappoint.

TLDR - Symmetrical bowls are ace.

Thanks again @UKSteve great info and review. Now I really need one :LOL:

Yeah those Symmetricals are pretty for sure. I know that a quality lather specific bowl will cost,but very limited here unless importing from what I have seen and shipping puts the price right up.