Review Feather Artist Club DX non-folding

RazorPlay

I am probably overdue posting up these thoughts on this razor "system" - not really a proper review but you get the idea. First, some background:
- I have been wet shaving for decades but just with a cheap synth, Palmolive stick and two blade disposable
- I had no idea at all what I was doing during that time
- So I am not an expert and this review is written from the perspective of a complete newb jumping straight into what many consider to be the deep end of this shaving hobby...

I am about 80 shaves into using this razor from scratch. I haven't had any major cuts. There has only been once when I cut myself sufficiently to warrant the use of styptic gel after the shave. So, while I have been careful (this razor demands respect), I have had no more issues than I would generally expect from using any other razor - I would have weepers on average on less than half of my shaves and I generally aim for BBS...

OK, so this razor is expensive. I got mine through B/S/T here so it wasn't too bad. However the SS version (which I haven't tried) is available now from TSW very reasonably for a stainless razor. The SS version has a bump along the edge of the blade holder and opinions vary as to whether it helps or not. My DX doesn't and I wanted that to get a lower angle for going ATG as I like my BBS shaves.

The three blades I have tried have all given me 15+ shaves per blade. They are:
- Kai Guarded - great shaves, no cuts but more passes required for the same result ie a "mild" blade in the context of this razor (still aggressive compared to a DE). Has a "scratchy" feel to it due to the Guards which can leave a very slight irritation but it's hardly worth mentioning.
- Feather Pro - very sharp and aggressive, especially on the first few shaves where a cut is quite likely despite being careful. Smooths out later on but still demands most attention.
- Feather Pro Super - my favourite - probably just as sharp as the Feather Pro but the greater blade exposure allows the use of lower angles and gives more leverage to keep the blade flatter on the skin. This results in less damage for me and just the right efficiency. The greater exposure also makes palm stropping a realistic option, which seems to help although I haven't proven it yet.

My major lessons learnt from using this razor:
- All these blades are incredibly sharp.
- It does take awhile to learn, during which time you will spend a long time shaving (unless you're used to straights already) but after awhile it doesn't take much more time than a DE to shave.
- This razor will teach you the meaning of low pressure, which made me a better shaver...
- The adjustability of the angle is really great for going ATG - I can almost lay the blade dead flat on the skin and that really helps for a BBS shave.
- You can use higher angles going WTG and still get a DFS in one pass - great for sensitive skin.
- Stretching the skin is very important.
- Use short, light, quick strokes - slow strokes during a pass results in more likelihood of damage for me.
- If I had my time again I would have got the folding version. Two reasons - the first because using the handle at a right angle gives you greater visibility of the angle the blade is at - it is easy to lose sight of that. The second because some angles around the adam's apple aren't achievable with the longer handle of the kamisori version - XTG is achievable but ATG isn't always in this area. XTG still gives great results though - a third reason is the folding version would be easier to store with a blade loaded!
- Navigating my chin and dimple is more difficult than a DE and demands more attention - in any case this is not the razor to choose when you haven't slept well and your mind is on other things!
- It is the razor to choose if you want to remain 100% "in the moment" with your shaving...
- I can't compare to conventional straights as I don't have one but I can see how these chemically sharpened blades (scalpels!) would start out sharper than could be achieved by manually honing and degrade linearly. Those who have both seem to say the Feather is less forgiving without the inherent flex of a full hollow blade and I can believe it.

To the razor itself, the following is worth noticing:
- Excellent craftmanship - fine tolerances etc
- Easy blade loading either by injection or manually - easy cleaning
- Non-slip handle, even when wet (better to dry it first though!)
- Weighty and well balanced - it's a small item but exudes quality

On a cost per shave basis, I am about to procure a 200 pack of Pro Super blades for around $110AUD from Japanese ebay sellers. At 15 shaves per blade, that equates to approx 4cents per shave, which is not too bad at all.

Do I recommend this form of shaving? Yes I absolutely do - the reputation for blood has been unfounded in my case and that risk can be moderated further by selecting the right blades. While I have since procured some DEs to round out my shaving arsenal, I am sticking with the Feather precisely because it is a more demanding and involving experience - I feel most connected to what the blade is doing this way. If I want good results without thinking or feeling, I can just go back to my twin blade disposables. Great results now I know how to use them but zero involvement or connection.

I have no desire to try out a DE shavette. I don't see anyone sticking with them long term and the short length, thinness and corners of the blades scare me. I would get and use conventional straights if I had the time for stropping / honing etc but I just don't - yet. One day that will come I am hopeful...

In short, I find the Feather system a great "straight" shaving solution for the time challenged or those who just love shaving but hate sharpening... highly recommended even for a newb like me!

Last edited:
Great review @RazorPlay !
I also have the Feather AC (SS and DX folding and SS Kamasori). I agree with the Feather Pro Super blades - my favourite also.
I get fantastic shaves with either of these Feathers, but much more care is required - at the moment, I usually save for the weekends or do one pass with the Feather and tidy up with a DE.
They are probably a "gateway razor" to the straight... Im sure we will be moving onto straights eventually ;)

Thanks guys - one thing I forgot to mention about the DX version compared to the SS is that it has a solid stainless handle for 90% of its length, with a non-slip cover, whereas the SS has a stainless head and resin handle. This gives the DX a nice, weighty, well balanced feel. I'm not sure about the comparison with the folding version though... although I believe the DX is heavier there too which maybe due to solid vs hollow stainless - I'm not sure. That's why the DX is a lot more expensive anyway.

Some photos for @SpeedyPC with a Pro Super blade (extra exposure from the blade holder):

IMG_1695_zpsgfjdeewi.jpg

IMG_1694_zpsokns7q7m.jpg

IMG_1693_zps8y4kf4cc.jpg

Last edited: