[first?] Vintage Watch

I just happen to know someone who owns a 50 odd year old Omega - interested - Too bad wouldn't sell anyway -only reminder of dear old dad

Cost = $priceless!

... I am finding that I like watches without complications (such as date inserts) more these days, especially if you have a few watches that you interchange as it is a pain in the arse having to forever change the date on them.

Hmm, as we would be in different price ranges, I could enable Mark for a change!

I'm similar and the Patek one you linked too was too fussy for me - and not birth year either.

I've planted the seed of one of these for Christmas too:

Orient Automatic ER27002B Mens Watch

Orient Classic Automatic FER2C008B0 ER2C008B

*Watches your credit card run for the hills and your bank manager squeal in glee* :)
It is all well and good, as long as you don't discover vintage cars ;)

Funny you should say that I was thinking about birth years cars too - now what was Holden making in 1966 ....

Oh look here !!!!

Hmmm, this one looks almost NOS

Gee they made some great cars didn't they.

Clearly 1966 was the pinnacle of EVERYTHING!

The English Football team would have to agree too.

I literally LOL when I saw this - drew some unwaranted looks in the QF Business Lounge!

nice watch GT!

@Egg - yes when I started to get interested I went to some watch forums. One had a thread pointing out all the problems with live eBay auctions - it was illuminating!

This was $30 - while i really don't know if original or indeed 1966 this is what it was advertised as and I figure I can't go too wrong and it is not work faking. The $1k + Omegas might have to wait for my 50th and be sourced from a rally reputable source!

The scary thing though?

I don't get much excitement about most new razors now...

The REALLY scary thing?

I'm REALLY excited about this purchase ....

Like razors, I'm sure you can get vintage watches that aren't expensive. Timex was never a luxury watch, I had a couple as a teen, so brands like that should be reasonable to buy.

The rest of the watch thing is getting ridiculous. You can pay $400,000 for some exotic euro bling that has engineering and tolerances that make them totally obselete to the fat walletted CEOs that buy them. And many of them are just pug ugly and big as a clock. Your Timex is classic and understated, very much like the 40 yo Raymond Weil my dad left me.

Like razors, I'm sure you can get vintage watches that aren't expensive. Timex was never a luxury watch, I had a couple as a teen, so brands like that should be reasonable to buy.

The rest of the watch thing is getting ridiculous. You can pay $400,000 for some exotic euro bling that has engineering and tolerances that make them totally obselete to the fat walletted CEOs that buy them. And many of them are just pug ugly and big as a clock. Your Timex is classic and understated, very much like the 40 yo Raymond Weil my dad left me.

I knew that the Timex was an everyday brand and not likely to attract the fakers like the Swiss brands. Some of the new watches are a real worry IMHO!

Except improvements to the gene pool :)

Hmmm, might have to withdraw support for the TM ....

Just make sure you check a few retailers, Orient are quite nice but the prices do vary considerably, as do the postage on them. Checkout skywatches.com.sg as they also stock Orient.

Creation prices are pretty good from memory with free postage. I think skywatches were out of stock when I checked - certainly a good supplier though

Some of the vintage Seiko's are very nice as well.

I have my Dad's two that he bought back in the early 70's. I recently restored one of them after he drowned it... :( New glass, new leather band, same as original, and (unfortunately) replace (with NOS of course) the rusty movement.

This pic was while I was still waiting for the new band to arrive

Here's another Seiko I recently cleaned up, new glass, new gaskets, light polish on case. Sold this one as it was a bit small on my wrist, but it kept great time.

Seiko's are awesome watches for the price. They seem to have (and always have had) some very decent watches at almost every level.

However, because they also make much lower level watches, their high end ones are not always as highly regarded. I can understand why to a degree - to the unitiated a $5000 Rolex / Omega screams money, whereas a similar priced Seiko doesn't garner the same attention.

Which is why discerning gents appreciate them, understated class ;)

Nice watches Keith!