Review Focus Slim Al

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
13886919_10205319807713170_1159051466812589387_n.jpg

First shave with the Focus Slim Al. Used with half a Derby - no they are not a great blade but they are a good reference point. I test most of my DEs and shavettes with a Derby - as I know better how to adjust from there. The Slim Al, is light - possibly lighter than the Dovo Stainless Steel - but has a much better balance and feel. Also the design of the Slim Al - all aluminium (without some plastic adapter seat) - makes for a very rigid blade; a challenge with shavettes I've noticed and a credit to the Focus designer/s. As noted earlier, and it bears repeating, the tolerances here are extremely precise. If you snap your blade and leave too much of an upturn on the broken end it will struggle to lock the load. Also boxed half blades - such as the Lords I tested - appear too thin and not lock into place. I assume the designer/s figured the inevitable small break upturn and have figured that into the equation.

With just one shave under my belt (figuratively speaking!) it's a little early to make a call, but the results were very, very promising. Got a very close result - with comfortable ATG passes. However I'll need to better understand the pressure applied - not easy to naturally ease off when the unit is so light - as I got bit twice. Tiny pops but pops nonetheless. However, I suspect it'll be the best of the shavettes I've tried and reckon it might be a keeper.

I'll probably stick with Slim Al exclusively for a while and map the progress on this thread

Looks... Interesting? I don't really understand the design choice on the scales, but if it shaves well that's what counts. What's the price?
No Aussie sellers yet, so you chose:
Europe, or
US (halfway down)

Weighs close to nothing so postage costs are minimal.