For the Star Trek fans.

Discussion started by Director, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Director

Director Member

Spotted a new show a few weeks back called The Orville and started watching it, trailer here:

Don't be to put off by the trailer, it tries to paint the show as a comedy but it's more like Trek..with comedic moments. I was around when ST was doing it's first run back in the 60's and have enjoyed *most* of the movies and watched all of the spin-off shows. The Orville feels like a true successor to that type of show, more so than the also recently airing Star Trek Discovery (also worth a watch but a totally different vibe). I'm hoping Orville gets renewed. :)

2. DamDam

DamDam Member

yeah I am at E6, ok, it tries to be funny but it gets better now.few guest star ( Charlize T once).I quite enjoy ST Discovery

3. Dman69

Dman69 Member

Still trying to digest Discovery.... One of these days.....

4. Director

Director Member

Watched Ep7 of The orville last night and it was one of the most accurate commentaries on today;s society that I have seen all year. And by a spooky coincidence it mirrored the main article in this week;s episode of New World Next Week about China's "People rating system" (Also wroth a look)

5. bald as

bald as Member

Revelation 13: 16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member

18 And whoosh be-eth the sound heard by thee as thy comment pass-eth straight over thine head on it's way unto the yonder :)

SchoolForAnts, Dman69 and DamDam like this.
  7. DamDam

DamDam Member

[​IMG]

Sticky likes this.
  8. lerenau

lerenau Member

How are you watching Orville? I couldn't see it on Netflix.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member

@lerenau , It might be on Kodi through an addon called Covenant or on Android Terrarium TV, maybe... nudge, nudge, wink, wink :)

Director, DamDam and lerenau like this.
  10. Ferret619

Ferret619 Member

I’m watching discovery currently, it does seem to deviate heavily from Roddenberrys formula for all other Star Treks but it’s not bad so far

11. lerenau

lerenau Member

I saw an episode last night(ep4).
    Getting tired of the subtitles... But still good.

Ferret619 likes this.
  12. Ferret619

Ferret619 Member

Okay so I’m actually loving discovery, I’ll buy the crap out of a disco shirt for the gym in due course.

13. Dman69

Dman69 Member

Yeah, it seems disco is a thing in the 24th century - who'd have thought? :woot:.. Watched the latest episode last night - a very 70's dancetrack... but I liked it.

Viva Harry Mudd!

Ferret619 likes this.
  14. Ferret619

Ferret619 Member

I’m going through my second watching now, while yes people bitch about klingons being different (that may still work out BTW) and random nitpicking, I think the essence of Star Trek is there, they have always loosely paralleled the issues of the time without being super preachy and while this series’s structure is more removed from previous series if it continues as it has I’ll be happy, unfortunately people keep trying to side with this or the Orville and really.. I’ll just watch both, they are very different.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Director and lerenau like this.
  15. Ferret619

Ferret619 Member

She’s very argumentative, Picard wouldn’t stand for this.

16. Director

Director Member

Discovery has been renewed for a second season. I'm liking it although I do have to move my mind to simply accept it for what it is and to stop looking at their level of tech and ships which seems more advanced than even the tech in the Star Trek reboot but it supposed to be 10 years before Kirk...in the same universe? I agree though, no need to choose between ST and the Orville, we can watch them both, last week's Orville with Rob Lowe was a hoot too. :) (The Orville has also been renewed. :) )