For the synth fans (or those curious)

TurnNshave on Etsy also has wonderfully awesome synthetics.

I have four of them, including the tuxedo style black and white which is a fairly flat top fan knot. They are dense and splay nicely. I'd highly recommend them!

87P6U.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Whipped dog brushes are good but they are not the best in price like they used to be.
$24 is quite pricey when compared to TurnNshave, razorock, maggard, Stirling synthetics.

Nice! I've got a custom TurnNShave coming soon with the boss/gamechanger knot.

There are definitely cheaper options than whipped dog out there, but imo Larry offers really good service, a range of handle colours and some customisation in terms of loft height, which for some people will be worth the extra $$$

Maggard Razors have release 3 new Tuxedo synthetic shaving brush in black handles click here

img_0118-jpg.817058

22mm Brush
Total Height:- 100mm
Loft:- 54mm
Knot:- 22mm
Handle Height:- 47mm
Handle Waist:- 28mm
Cost:- $11.95 USD

24mm Brush
Total Height:- 105mm
Loft:- 56mm
Knot:- 24mm
Handle Height:- 49mm
Handle Waist:- 29mm
Cost:- $13.95 USD

30mm Brush
Total Height:- 116mm
Loft:- 63mm
Knot:- 30mm
Handle Height:- 55mm
Handle Waist:- 35mm
Cost:- $19.95 USD

Last edited:
Nice! I've got a custom TurnNShave coming soon with the boss/gamechanger knot.

There are definitely cheaper options than whipped dog out there, but imo Larry offers really good service, a range of handle colours and some customisation in terms of loft height, which for some people will be worth the extra $$$

No doubt Larry is great to deal with and offers nice brushes (i was one of the original supporters of his business back in 2011/2012, when i was into trying badger brushes).

TurnNshave also offers customised lofts but at no extra cost. I got my quarter moon and full moon set at 55mm instead of the standard 58mm loft (had i known the density was going to be this good, i wouldn't have set them lower but my only reference for density were razorock and maggard, both of which are a lot less dense than the TurnNshave).

Enjoy your TurnNshave mate! I'm sure you'll love it!!

Iv got 7 knots coming from China. Not from Yaqi but. 2 x 26mm HMW fan & bulb, 2 x 28mm 2band finest fan & bulb, 28mm Silvertip fan, 24mm pure and a 24mm black. If i was to purchase these from say TGN i would of payed $265USD plus postage, i paid $110USD postage included. I im positive they will be the same quality as TGN knots. I think ppl get starstruck buy certain US names.

Iv got 7 knots coming from China. Not from Yaqi but. 2 x 26mm HMW fan & bulb, 2 x 28mm 2band finest fan & bulb, 28mm Silvertip fan, 24mm pure and a 24mm black. If i was to purchase these from say TGN i would of payed $265USD plus postage, i paid $110USD postage included. I im positive they will be the same quality as TGN knots. I think ppl get starstruck buy certain US names.

Yeah, had some experience with the chinese knots and there are quite a lot of good suppliers. A lot comes down to how they are set in the handle.

A lot comes down to how they are set in the handle

Well ill be trusting @Tony Forsyth and all his experience with that job. Im pretty sure the knots tony puts in the brushes on his site come from China so it wont be something new for him.
And i will say TGN does state on their site that all their knots are imported from China so at least they are not trying to hide the fact.

Well ill be trusting @Tony Forsyth and all his experience with that job. Im pretty sure the knots tony puts in the brushes on his site come from China so it wont be something new for him.
And i will say TGN does state on their site that all their knots are imported from China so at least they are not trying to hide the fact.
All the badger hair I've seen comes from China :) The only difference is a few people hand tie the knots themselves, whereas others just import pre-tied. @Tony Forsyth and I have tried a few different suppliers, and he's settled on a great one.

All the badger hair I've seen comes from China :) The only difference is a few people hand tie the knots themselves, whereas others just import pre-tied. @Tony Forsyth and I have tried a few different suppliers, and he's settled on a great one.
That is a reasonable explanation in a nutshell but I would like to elaborate a bit more.

Some brush makers such as Simpsons, Shavemac, M&F and more recently Declaration Brushworks import hair from China and tie their own knots. Makers who do this have usually found a supplier who is able to regularly supply high quality hair to them to ensure that there is some consistency in the knots they produce. I am not aware of the intricacies involved in forming such a relationship but if you look to the next example (which I know a little more about) I can only imagine that it is equally as difficult to find a consistently high quality supplier.

Some brush makers such as Paladin and Elite Razor purchase ready made knots from China from a regular supplier that they have an agreement with to regularly supply knots that are consistently high grade. From what I understand this is not particularly easy to achieve. I know for example that Ken form Paladin has put a lot of time and effort in to creating a solid business relationship with his supplier and ensuring that they consistently provide him with a high quality product.

In the case of the two above examples the aim of the brush maker is to provide not only a high quality knot but also a certain level of consistency in the knots themselves. The characteristics of the knots remain consistent from one knot to another.

As far as I am aware the rest simply purchase their knots from a supplier that they have found. I am sure that in most cases this has involved the purchase of test knots etc. but by the same token there may not be the same business relationships and agreements and therefore potentially not the same consistency. That is not to say that these makers do not supply great knots, simply that they may not be consistent in the characteristics that they display from one to another.

As a disclaimer the names I have mentioned above are not exhaustive. I am sure that there are more makers that either buy hair or source knots and have created a solid relationship and agreement with their supplier.

That is a reasonable explanation in a nutshell but I would like to elaborate a bit more.

Some brush makers such as Simpsons, Shavemac, M&F and more recently Declaration Brushworks import hair from China and tie their own knots. Makers who do this have usually found a supplier who is able to regularly supply high quality hair to them to ensure that there is some consistency in the knots they produce. I am not aware of the intricacies involved in forming such a relationship but if you look to the next example (which I know a little more about) I can only imagine that it is equally as difficult to find a consistently high quality supplier.

Some brush makers such as Paladin and Elite Razor purchase ready made knots from China from a regular supplier that they have an agreement with to regularly supply knots that are consistently high grade. From what I understand this is not particularly easy to achieve. I know for example that Ken form Paladin has put a lot of time and effort in to creating a solid business relationship with his supplier and ensuring that they consistently provide him with a high quality product.

In the case of the two above examples the aim of the brush maker is to provide not only a high quality knot but also a certain level of consistency in the knots themselves. The characteristics of the knots remain consistent from one knot to another.

As far as I am aware the rest simply purchase their knots from a supplier that they have found. I am sure that in most cases this has involved the purchase of test knots etc. but by the same token there may not be the same business relationships and agreements and therefore potentially not the same consistency. That is not to say that these makers do not supply great knots, simply that they may not be consistent in the characteristics that they display from one to another.

As a disclaimer the names I have mentioned above are not exhaustive. I am sure that there are more makers that either buy hair or source knots and have created a solid relationship and agreement with their supplier.

That is also my understanding of the situation. Totally agree with you @nsavage.

Yep, this. CBF typing that much but yeah :)

I've ordered 4 brushes from the Yaqi store on Aliexpress, they should be coming hopefully next week and I'm quite excited. It's my first order and a 60mm loft doesn't really bother me, although once I get them and use them I'll be sure to let you guys know of my experience :)

Maggard Razors have release 3 new Tuxedo synthetic shaving brush in black handles click here

img_0118-jpg.817058

22mm Brush
Total Height:- 100mm
Loft:- 54mm
Knot:- 22mm
Handle Height:- 47mm
Handle Waist:- 28mm
Cost:- $11.95 USD

24mm Brush
Total Height:- 105mm
Loft:- 56mm
Knot:- 24mm
Handle Height:- 49mm
Handle Waist:- 29mm
Cost:- $13.95 USD

30mm Brush
Total Height:- 116mm
Loft:- 63mm
Knot:- 30mm
Handle Height:- 55mm
Handle Waist:- 35mm
Cost:- $19.95 USD

I feel like those lofts might be a little on the high side, but my preference does tend to be for shorter lofts so YMMV.

TurnNshave on Etsy also has wonderfully awesome synthetics.

I have four of them, including the tuxedo style black and white which is a fairly flat top fan knot. They are dense and splay nicely. I'd highly recommend them!

87P6U.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Whipped dog brushes are good but they are not the best in price like they used to be.
$24 is quite pricey when compared to TurnNshave, razorock, maggard, Stirling synthetics.

If you have the time/inclination I'd love to read your thoughts on each brush/knot.

Great explanation @nsavage - just one more thing I have often heard: a big hurdle is often the sorting of the hair. This is probably one of the more labour intensive tasks and the one during which (Chinese) suppliers often cut corners.

I believe at least some of the manufactures outside China, who tie their own knots, also sort the hair themselves. This is probably the most reliable method to achieve consistency.

Great explanation @nsavage - just one more thing I have often heard: a big hurdle is often the sorting of the hair. This is probably one of the more labour intensive tasks and the one during which (Chinese) suppliers often cut corners.

I believe at least some of the manufactures outside China, who tie their own knots, also sort the hair themselves. This is probably the most reliable method to achieve consistency.

... and don't the Cuban brush makers roll their knots on the thighs of virgins? Or is that just a myth? ;)

If you have the time/inclination I'd love to read your thoughts on each brush/knot.

I have the time and the inclination but not the brushes.

I'm away from home for the next 4 months and i only brought the quarter moon brush with me... Which i have been enjoying a lot! Here are some points about the quarter moon:

I got mine in the clear handle as i wanted the contrast between the handle and black knot, and i reckon it looks awesome!!

Density: The knot is dense! No two ways about it! Much more dense than razorock and maggard synthetics.

Softness: the tips are very soft and comfortable. Softer than the plissoft range of knots but different face feel due to higher density.

Scrub: due to the density, the brush gives a great scrub (no scratch). Feels nice on the face and generates lather very fast.

Splay: I "dry load" my soap and face lather so the brush doesn't like to splay much at the beginning, which the Razorock Bruce does beautifully but once enough water has been painted in, the quarter moon splays nicely and due to being a nearly flat top knot, the face feel is very nice.

At 25mm, it holds a ton of lather and due to the density, it doesn't lose too much lather out the sides.

I did use the full moon once before i left home and i loved it also! It's nearly opposite to quarter moon as the full moon is a bulb knot, not hybrid. It is very dense also but a little less scrubby due to not being an extreme fan and also splayed better from the beginning of the face lathering process.

Both unique in their own ways and I'm very, very happy with both of them! Can't wait to try the other two which i didn't get a chance to use before leaving home.