Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Taken from this SMH Article by Michael Pascoe I present you with, The Bingham Code -

The Bingham Code
1. On approach, consider yourself already flying.
There are many variables to account for when travelling.
Accept that stuff happens in life and some fellow citizens may be running late for a flight and therefore should be granted speedy access. Or maybe they are just really desperate for the first coffee of the day in the lounge. Whatever, if you're not walking up the escalator to departures, you stand to the left-hand side and keep any baggage out of the way. You do not stand abreast of your partner. It can wait.

2. Check the kitchen sink in.
Airlines still allow you to check in baggage. They should not allow you to bring the kitchen sink into the cabin. Unfortunately, they often do – but that doesn't mean you must. Less is more up in the air – or that's what the airlines seem to think as they don't provide enough overhead locker space for everyone's kitchen sink. If you bring a second piece, you will suffer with it in your lap and footwell.

3. You know there is security to go through – be prepared.
It is a peculiarity of certain people that they can be in a lengthy queue at a bus stop and then be totally surprised to subsequently find themselves at the top of said queue and only then start rummaging for the pass or money required to board. Airport security queues are similar – you will reach the top of it. Be ready to make with the laptop and mobile phone and aerosols.

(Of course, a real Bingham thinks twice about travelling with aerosols anyway. And a real Bingham knows which belt and shoes set off the alarm and therefore doesn't wear them. A real Binghamette has discovered which bling goes "beep-beep" and doesn't wear it flying. But not everyone is capable of such sophistication.)

4. Once through, keep going through.
The X-ray machine is not only for you. Move your stuff as far down the line from the machine as possible to repack your bloody aerosols and get dressed again. A real Bingham will assist by deftly stacking any excess plastic trays when the security staff are busy or slack.

5. The lounge is for lounging, not camping.
There is a separate chapter to be written about appropriate lounge behaviour, but purposes of the brief Code, seats are for backsides, not your bags. And just because the booze is free, it doesn't mean you have to drink it all.

6. Boarding is a team sport
Depending on the aircraft, there tends to be a much smaller number of doors than there are passengers. We have to share the doorway and aisle. See Rule 2. And it's very, very poor form to lose focus, miss the boarding call and delay the flight while the airline pages you because you have luggage in the hold that can't be quickly extracted and sent to a garbage compactor.

7. Backpack whackers
Like wearing a baseball cap backwards, wearing a backpack in close quarters lowers the individual's IQ by 20 points. Boarding a plane, take it off and carry it in front of you, otherwise your reduced intelligence will see you move from side to side and half-turn at some stage, smacking a seated passenger in the head. Ditto ladies with large bags hanging from shoulders.

8. Seating civilly
It is polite to acknowledge those you will be sharing thigh space with the next little while. It is not polite to embark upon your life story if the usual human signs of "not particularly interested" are present. On the other hand, genuine friendships can develop over free drinks and ugly snack packs at 10,000 metres between consenting adults– occasionally, frequent flying can be quite delightful. Just respect all limits.

And be aware: There's something about alcohol and emotion up in the air. A couple of drinks and vaguely sentimental movie can force a tearing up. Respect that too.

9. Seating rights
If you have a weak bladder, request an aisle seat.
The person who draws the middle-seat straw has first dibs on both armrests.
If you watch a funny movie that makes you laugh out loud, remember you have headphones and what the "loud" part of "out loud" means. Control yourself.
If you are obese and require two seats to avoid squashing a fellow traveller, don't book a single economy seat. Talk to the airline.

10. DON'T RECLINE
It's the core of the code. You know it. It's been written before – read it here: In a more advanced society, garrotting recliners would be permitted, but recliners wouldn't exist in an advanced society.

11. The Great Escape
It's OK, claustrophobes, this flight too will pass. We will all get out of the aeroplane in time. No need to push past anyone. On the other hand, it is reasonable to be prepared to leave, "to have your shit together" so to speak. Nice tall people help nice short people get a bag down. If your kitchen sink is stowed 20 rows back, bad luck, wait – you're not entitled to push through everyone else to get it.

As you leave, say thank you. The cabin staff do this much more often than you do and deserve some sympathy.

And also thank your god or gods and the mysterious laws of physics that allowed 70 tonnes of metal, glass and plastic to levitate and move speedily across the face of the planet, depositing you relatively close to schedule somewhere quite far away. It's quite amazing really.

Good advice for irregular travellers!

So travel goes well then?

I saw this this morning too - a pity we need a code for courtesy!

I haven't flown since I took up using a double edge razor a few months ago - are these a no no in carry on luggage?

I haven't flown since I took up using a double edge razor a few months ago - are these a no no in carry on luggage?

Correct :)

The actual razor is fine. The razor blade isn't for hand luggage. Though if the scanner/x-ray sees it they'll want to inspect it for a blade.
Need to get a Schick folding repeater to fool them :sneaky:

Last time I flew with Cathay Pacific and at HK, a pair of nail clippers in my o/n toiletry bag was confiscated. Onboard duty free advertised a manicure set complete with WTF? You guessed it!

Cattle class = plastic cutlery, Business & First Class = steel cutlery.

I'm not sure I agree with quite everything there, but there are some that should be laws with sentences up to and including stoning not just titbit recommendations from a code.
Especially the middle seat armrests one.

Yeah, I'm looking at you wifebert and toddlebert!

Already do this as a reasonably frequent flier. Don't quite agree on the lounge access as that is the one kickback which is worth many flights in M, S, T or other discount class where the status credits are pathetic. I also recline on international flights at night but I am trying to sleep dammit.

Last trip back YMML>YSSY it was a Sunday night late flight on QF and we rolled through the entire R34L and exited at Bravo for Terminal 3. By the time I got out, the first officer was out of the cockpit and I told him I appreciated the roll through but was disappointed at the Bravo exit and not Alpha (ie entire length of the runway - generally you never get these as ATC wants a fast exit so the next plane can take off). He thought it hilarious.

Always be polite to all the flight crew even if they are not giving you the right answer when you need it. Never know when a flight will be delayed or cancelled and they assist or pick who/where people go, so the shitty three star hotel goes to the pain in the arse client. Was always taking the Auckland red eye for years and flight crew were shattered by that time and wanted to be left alone to rest. Always be nice and engage in basic small chat that relates and I always walked off the plane with a few drinks under my belt and suit pockets full of spares for the hotel room.

Oh and don't one night stand a flight attendant on bad terms as likely they'll be the one serving you on the flight out of there :(
Don't asked as long story and I'm married now :yawn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never understood pepole making others life harder by nothing, but yes, on planes thats is more common, some people gots crazy, or misbehave, and I have been here on the apple island for almost three years and barely flight, actually, only one long one, and it was as great as awful, as comfortability is not always present :)

nWdfSTs.jpg

Yes, that was the flight of a life!!, bit still in terms of comfort, a bit bad.... you better play football inside it than just seat in the lateral inside the nets hahaha