Futur?

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Good, bad, ugly, fugly?
Just checking out a Futur locally.
Zamac through and through of course. Life span of such crap metal?
Any thing else bad about them?
Shave OK, or meh?
If the price is right I might be tempted.
Or is it a case of 'run, don't walk away'.

Good, bad, ugly, fugly?
Shave OK, or meh?

If you like blade exposure and really enjoy feeling the blade for what it is, then you may enjoy it. Beware that any setting above 3 will most likely give you nicks, cuts or weepers if try a 3 pass shave. If you can shave with this razor on a regular basis on a setting above 3 and not get a nick, cut, or weeper, then congratulations, you have mastered the art of the fine touch. :)

For me to enjoy the efficiency level I like out of a shave with this razor, I require the razor to be set on setting 5 for 2 passes, then on setting 3 for any touchups. I use mine rarely for the novelty factor. The Gold one is the looker of the lot.:)

There are two types available. One is by Merkur for about $100 or more and one by Ming Shi for about $10 or more. I have both and there is little difference in both manufacturing quality and shaving ability. I tend to reach for the Ming Shi much more often than the Merkur, don't know why. In both I prefer Gillette Rubie blades.

The Ming Shi is rebadged and sold by a few different vendors (e.g., Qshave), normally for more than the Ming Shi badged razor.

Some say that they have difficulty shaving under the nose with this razor but that has not been my experience.

Don't buy it if you don't like the look of it and/or you think that Zamac is crap metal.

If you decide to get it, I suggest that you first get the Ming Shi 2000S for about $10. Then, if you like it and think that the same at 10 times the price makes it 10 times better, get the Merkur. That makes some feel better.

Last edited:
There are two types available. One is by Merkur for about $100 or more and one by Ming Shi for about $10 or more. I have both and there is little difference in both manufacturing quality and shaving ability. I tend to reach for the Ming Shi much more often than the Merkur, don't know why. In both I prefer Gillette Rubie blades.

The Ming Shi is rebadged and sold by a few different vendors (e.g., Qshave), normally for more than the Ming Shi badged razor.

Some say that they have difficulty shaving under the nose with this razor but that has not been my experience.

Qshave / Ming Shi I didn't even mention those names, as those razors came to fruition from the patent expiring on the Merkur Futur. I had one before, gave it away. No comparison in the quality of the components between the two products, and the clones are priced accordingly.

Qshave / Ming Shi I didn't even mention those names, as those razors came to fruition from the patent expiring on the Merkur Futur. I had one before, gave it away. No comparison in the quality of the components between the two products, and the clones are priced accordingly.
Each to their own. My experience has been different to yours. That's the beauty of forums. It allows the expression of different experiences.

Each to their own. My experience has been different to yours. That's the beauty of forums. It allows the expression of different experiences.

You preferred the lighter weight approx 84grams of the Ming Shi vs approx 128gr of the Futur?

Thanks guys.
I'm still waiting for word back from the seller but will probably will just get a Flexi one day (you don't see many of them on a BST do you?).
I'm also waiting on a Slim...sold mine here a while ago and now sort of think 'maybe I shouldn't have'.
Plus 'another' Gillette inbound (a freebie)...might be a Rocket. Not sure what it is until it gets here...it's a mystery razor that's lived in a shed for about 15 years now.
Plus...I am so going to get myself sorted to do my own Nickel plating as well (it looks easy!).
Will post pics as things progress.

You preferred the lighter weight approx 84grams of the Ming Shi vs approx 128gr of the Futur?
My Ming Shi is a little heavier at 89g while my Merkur is a little lighter at 125g. Yes, the lighter mass may be a reason why I seem to prefer the Ming Shi.

The Ming Shi's handle is also a little thinner and the overall balance point is a bit nearer the head on my Ming Shi.

When a large proportion of the wet shaving community craves more efficient/aggressive razors but then goes to sell on this razor a lot of the time because it's TOO aggressive.. that has always scared me off.

When a large proportion of the wet shaving community craves more efficient/aggressive razors but then goes to sell on this razor a lot of the time because it's TOO aggressive.. that has always scared me off.

It's also not a very agile razor, far better options available.

Not me.

I try to never get scared off of a razor. If I did, I probably would have never experienced the enjoyment of shaving with straight razors.

My first adjustable DE razor after quitting carts was a Ming Shi 2000S. I liked that so I got a Merkur Futur. I found them both very similar to shave with, however, the Ming Shi remains my favoured out of the two. They are both used with Gillette Rubie blades. Part of that may be first mover advantage.

Now that I think about it, I might give my Merkur Futur away to encourage a n00bie into traditional wet shaving.

Although I am now a dedicated SR shaver, I still take one of my DE razors for a drive about once of twice a month, just to keep my hand in.

The Futur is quite a smooth and efficient razor, one of my favourites in fact. I also have a copy of the Futur and it is not quite as good in build quality and doesn’t shave as well (in my opinion). As for it being Zamac, I wouldn’t stress too much about it (it will outlast you). I’ve never had one break on me even when dropped on bathroom tiles.

Good, bad, ugly, fugly?
Shave OK, or meh?
I could never own anything that looked like that. Maybe wrap grip tape around the handle and use it for a tack hammer!

Nothing shaves better than vintage, snag a good Single Ring and sit smug while everyone else keeps searching. (y) ;)

My avatar cat died this year, big badass alpha male, my best friend, he was 15 years old. Amazing how we get attached to our animals.

As for the razors, shaving with something that's as old as a Model T Ford is just more satisfying that something you can buy new from the internet. Especially when you realize that in the last century they haven't been able to make a better shaver.