G5 Oumo SHD

I'd love to grab a G5C myself but was put off by the fact that of the AP Shave Co knots I've tried (Faux Horse, SynBad, SilkSmoke) the Faux Horse is the only one I enjoy as they're all quite long bristled requiring them to be set deep otherwise way too much splay for my liking. On top of the $$$ for shipping and time it takes to arrive from Canada I was less inclined to go back which is a shame as reading good things about the G5 range. :( YMMV
I agree about the SynBad and SilkSmoke (both of which I have binned), but my experiments with the G5A have shown it is a real knot, and the earlier ones bear no comparison at all. The G5A splays progressively, not all at once, unlike most synthetics. Its only drawback is that it could do with being just a little longer...

I agree about the SynBad and SilkSmoke (both of which I have binned), but my experiments with the G5A have shown it is a real knot, and the earlier ones bear no comparison at all. The G5A splays progressively, not all at once, unlike most synthetics. Its only drawback is that it could do with being just a little longer...
Sadly agree with the statement and the consensus is that most of the newer synth knots share shorter bristles which kinda sucks. :(

IMG-20211127-123516-2.jpg

Left is a Yaqi BEAUX G4 26mm knot
Right is a Oumo G5 26mm knot

IMG-20211127-123524-2.jpg

Surprised at the difference in size as both feel super soft and sit nicely in the Billy Goat Brushworks handle.

IMG-20211127-123541-2.jpg
IMG-20211127-123607-2.jpg

Guess I have an excuse to get another custom handle now as both knots are real winners and struggling to decide on which to go with first!?!? :love:

IMG-20211127-123516-2.jpg

Left is a Yaqi BEAUX G4 26mm knot
Right is a Oumo G5 26mm knot

IMG-20211127-123524-2.jpg

Surprised at the difference in size as both feel super soft and sit nicely in the Billy Goat Brushworks handle.

IMG-20211127-123541-2.jpg
IMG-20211127-123607-2.jpg

Guess I have an excuse to get another custom handle now as both knots are real winners and struggling to decide on which to go with first!?!? :love:
I'm itching to try the AP G5A in a real handle. Don't be fooled by the apparently smaller size of the G5 knot, it behaves in most respects like a really good badger, and holds a bucketful of lather.

I'm going to put this G5A into a CaYuen handle, and get a G5C for a really special one from that fellow in QLD. ;):whistle:

I'm itching to try the AP G5A in a real handle. Don't be fooled by the apparently smaller size of the G5 knot, it behaves in most respects like a really good badger, and holds a bucketful of lather.

I'm going to put this G5A into a CaYuen handle, and get a G5C for a really special one from that fellow in QLD. ;):whistle:
I look forward to seeing a G5A in a CaYuen handle as the ones I've seen on Etsy look special and a fan style would be equally nice.
Appearance wise sitting in my handle it has 2 Band Badger vibes and the fibres feel soft and dense so can't wait to get it set and lathering some soap...
Not long to go until 2022 and judging by what our brush making friend has recently been up to you have some really shiny and metallic options to chose from besides his wonderful resin offerings. Or you can go with another QLD brush maker who's handles are also of a high standard. (y)

@Razor Burn how's the G5 knot? Thinking of getting a brush with either that or the lotustip from wetshavingco since some are on sale. Or is the default answer here "get all of them"?

I've only used boar and cheaper synthetics (yaqi mew brown hd, tuxedo, dscosmetic t4) so far.

@Razor Burn how's the G5 knot? Thinking of getting a brush with either that or the lotustip from wetshavingco since some are on sale. Or is the default answer here "get all of them"?

I've only used boar and cheaper synthetics (yaqi mew brown hd, tuxedo, dscosmetic t4) so far.
Happy New Year @neogas!

The biggest issue I notice with the newer synthetic knots are that their way too dense and short but the performance is very close to natural hair with improved water retention and lather making.

Of all the next gen synthtic knots I found the G5 Oumo knot good as super soft, decent splay and backbone and set 53mm or above allows for best
performance otherwise it can be a bit of a lather hog like denser badgers.

Is it a game changer probably not as nothing mimics natural hair but if you're looking for a solid synthetic brush then I'd go with the G5 over a lotustip.

Certainly go complete brush over individual knot as the combination looks nicer and Oumo set their knots around 53mm and judging by the reviews the newer gen knot is a step up over what you already have (tuxedo & mew brown feel more like G4 so equally soft but not as dense).

Happy New Year @neogas!

The biggest issue I notice with the newer synthetic knots are that their way too dense and short but the performance is very close to natural hair with improved water retention and lather making.

Of all the next gen synthtic knots I found the G5 Oumo knot good as super soft, decent splay and backbone and set 53mm or above allows for best
performance otherwise it can be a bit of a lather hog like denser badgers.

Is it a game changer probably not as nothing mimics natural hair but if you're looking for a solid synthetic brush then I'd go with the G5 over a lotustip.

Certainly go complete brush over individual knot as the combination looks nicer and Oumo set their knots around 53mm and judging by the reviews the newer gen knot is a step up over what you already have (tuxedo & mew brown feel more like G4 so equally soft but not as dense).
Happy new year to you too!

Yup I definitely feel the tuxedo and mew brown can lack a bit of stiffness when lathering harder soaps.

I’ve never had badger before thus looking at the Lotustip as well, just wondering if it’s worth the extra cost over a G5.
For background, I don’t load off the puck/tub. I scrape a bit out with a spatula and flatten in at the bottom of the bowl and load then lather from there. Occasionally I lather on face but for the most part bowl lather than paint on face.

Happy new year to you too!

Yup I definitely feel the tuxedo and mew brown can lack a bit of stiffness when lathering harder soaps.

I’ve never had badger before thus looking at the Lotustip as well, just wondering if it’s worth the extra cost over a G5.
For background, I don’t load off the puck/tub. I scrape a bit out with a spatula and flatten in at the bottom of the bowl and load then lather from there. Occasionally I lather on face but for the most part bowl lather than paint on face.
I'm yet to try a lotustip myself but own many high dense badger knots and love how they feel/perform compared to synthetics.
If you tend to just use a sample size then maybe Lotustip but then again the G5 knot is plenty dense and does a better job of lathering compared to older gen synthetics.
I'm not surprised to see @Errol rate the Oumo G5 his top synthetic brush for 2021 as he's previously commented to me on his struggles getting synthetics to work so that should help convince you to opt with the G5 over the Lotustip... Otherwise just get both as life is too short and you need at least 1 brush for each day of the week otherwise the hobby becomes boring! ;)