G5 Oumo SHD

StratMan

hi guys.. thinking of a Synthetic knot and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the above knot? or even the Lansky HD G5

any comparison would be welcomed but especially against some yaqi synthetic knots as I have experience with these and have a baseline to compare against.

from my limited research they are supposed to be superior knots that combine the benefits of a synthetic with the feel of a natural brush (or close to it)

once this knot is seated it will only be sticking up from the collar 48mm and was little concerned at how much it would then splay.. whats peoples opinions on synthetics and loft height once seated?

cheers

Great question as I was also looking at the same knot/s and had read mixed views regarding the size and loft...?

hi guys.. thinking of a Synthetic knot and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the above knot? or even the Lansky HD G5

any comparison would be welcomed but especially against some yaqi synthetic knots as I have experience with these and have a baseline to compare against.

from my limited research they are supposed to be superior knots that combine the benefits of a synthetic with the feel of a natural brush (or close to it)

once this knot is seated it will only be sticking up from the collar 48mm and was little concerned at how much it would then splay.. whats peoples opinions on synthetics and loft height once seated?

cheers

I usually have no luck with synthetic knots, for whatever reason I cannot achieve a lather with most of them. Enter a Oumo Earth brush fitted with a 26mm G5 Synthetic knot. Well, I was actually able to get a decent lather with the G5 knot. It has sufficient backbone to be usable and feels way softer against the face than a badger. I only do two passes when I shave and there is always ample lather remaining for at least another two passes if I ever decided to keep pushing. It'll never displace a badger but actually surprised me, while it keeps working I will keep using it. I'm waiting for the next lot of Oumo brushes similarly styled to the Earth to be posted and I'll grab another.

I usually have no luck with synthetic knots, for whatever reason I cannot achieve a lather with most of them. Enter a Oumo Earth brush fitted with a 26mm G5 Synthetic knot. Well, I was actually able to get a decent lather with the G5 knot. It has sufficient backbone to be usable and feels way softer against the face than a badger. I only do two passes when I shave and there is always ample lather remaining for at least another two passes if I ever decided to keep pushing. It'll never displace a badger but actually surprised me, while it keeps working I will keep using it. I'm waiting for the next lot of Oumo brushes similarly styled to the Earth to be posted and I'll grab another.

cheers for that confirmation @Errol it definitely sounds like the G5 is an amazing knot, but all that can change with how much loft you have left once set.

Any chance you can measure the loft on your G5 knot? Just want to make sure if i get one its not set to deep so it affects its intended splay and become a 'springy' brush. The general consensus I have found is around 54mm for a 24mm knot and love to know what your is set at.

In regards to producing lather, I have had no issue at all with any synthetic I have used, in fact they all create an amazing lather and its a lot easier to get there any natural brush i have, but not one comes close to replicating the 'action' of a natural hair brush.

That's a good question @StratMan I tried measuring loft and it came in at between 53 and 54mm. A similar brush to mine is advertised and its claimed to have a 53mm loft so somewhere around there is pretty close.
Second @StratMan in the friendly feedback as inclinded to order a G5 knot for my 26mm brush with hopes of setting the loft around 53-55mm so its not too dense.

I have the Oumo G5 26mm in fan. Its loft is 47mm. I found it a little too deep, it was set by the Oumo factory. I enjoy my Oumo TH(G4) more, tbh, probably because I set the knot myself on that one. The G5's synthetic fiber has a wavy consistency that gives it a bounce that's not dissimilar to badger, but not quite badger. Tips are kind of like the Timberwolf (between Motherlode and Tuxedo in softness). The loft on my TH(G4) bulb is 56mm.

I have a 28mm AP G5A knot waiting patiently until next year for a handle. I've experimented by boring a socket in the end of a piece of dowel just to see what it feels like, and my impression is good. A glue bump is there if you probe for it with a pointy object, but I don't feel it at all in use. The action is perhaps best described as like a Ferrari compared to a Fiat. It has a firm feel, without being springy, but the tips are soft. The hairs stay separate like a badger, so they hold lots of lather, and there's no clumping together or hollowing out in the middle. The fibres are quite short, so I won't want to restrict them in any way, so I'll set it as high as possible without leaving the plug visible.

AP also has a G5B, which is a dark brown bulb knot, and they've just released a G5C which differs from the other two in that it is a fan (hooray!) and the fibres are Japanese rather than German.

Interesting I thought the fibre was made in China, I wasn't fully aware the fibres were made in Japan rather than Germany.
This is purely speculation, so I could be completely wrong, but the original AP G5 fibres might have been made by BASF (AP says they're from Germany) and might be the same as the Mühle STF. But nice that other manufacturers are coming on board. I'll definitely be up for a G5C in January, I've been hanging out for a decent synth fan for a long time.

This is purely speculation, so I could be completely wrong, but the original AP G5 fibres might have been made by BASF (AP says they're from Germany) and might be the same as the Mühle STF. But nice that other manufacturers are coming on board. I'll definitely be up for a G5C in January, I've been hanging out for a decent synth fan for a long time.

Having researched the subject in great details across the vast forums and having tested some newer Generation synthetics I am convinced the majority of the fibres are sourced from the same place - BASF (Germany):
AP SHave Co G5 variants
Muhle/EJ STF
Oumo G5
Lansky G5?

Older Generation fibres:

Yaqi/AP Shave fibres appear to be manufactured by Cormay, based in China...
http://www.cormaynm.com/en/a/Beauty_make...echnology/
Possibly Maggard knots are sourced from there also with claims their G5 is from China as opposed to Germany...?

Silversynth Fibre (Omega EVO) is manufactured by K R Filament Co. (Krex), based in Thailand...

Simpsons Soverign Fibre resemble the Omega Roma in appearance with only difference being how each set their knots or overall size...???
• Omega Roma Colosseum, Nylon, 31x55x105mm, 84g
• Alexander Simpson Trafalgar T3, Sovereign, 32x53x103mm, 86g
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=62371

The Yaqi BEAUX G4 knot in Atlantis Brush strongly resembles the Trafalgar & Roma with some knots being dyed brown to resemble the Omega EVO & Simpsons Premiun Fibre (Chubby 2/M7) adding to the confusion.

To confuse things even more Frank Shaving released their own G5 Anti-Bacterial knot last year that resembled a Boss knot but browner in colour with claims of pink dye loss upon initial use. The FS G4 knot was greyer in colour with comparisons made to the Oumo T4 knot.

The only real issue I have noticed is how each manufacturer sets their knots as reviews on the many wet shaving forums talk about such and such knot being the same but some feel distinct due to overall loft resulting in density, feel, splay, backbone with optimal loft for the G4+ knots being above 50mm otherwise the shorter fibres struggle to splay and feel scrubby on the face or as was my experience with a FS G4 knot the shorter loft meant the knot wouldn't release lather and since adjusting it it now works amazingly well but still no way as natural as any badger or boar.

I hope to compare a Oumo G5 knot against the competition next week as keen to see how well it stacks up against my badgers as reports indicate the feel and performance comes close with improvements in water dispensation and lather retention... :unsure:

I'd love to grab a G5C myself but was put off by the fact that of the AP Shave Co knots I've tried (Faux Horse, SynBad, SilkSmoke) the Faux Horse is the only one I enjoy as they're all quite long bristled requiring them to be set deep otherwise way too much splay for my liking. On top of the $$$ for shipping and time it takes to arrive from Canada I was less inclined to go back which is a shame as reading good things about the G5 range. :( YMMV