Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Repost from the acquisitions thread that started some discussion (and I was suprised that we didn't have a garden tools thread!) -

I've had a hedge trimmer attachment to my whipper snipper for a while, but it was heavy and unwieldy. When I had some professionals in to really give the front hedge a good trim they were all using cordless trimmers, so I've been looking at one for a while. Finally bit the bullet yesterday (nobody at Bunnings at 8:30pm on a Friday night BTW so very COVIDsafe) and got a Ryobi 36V cordless trimmer.

IOxEC9el.jpg

This is part of the results from using this afternoon, battery still 1/4 charged. Note the thickness of the branch at the end, 30mm on my clipers, beyond the stated 25.4). Not the cleanest cut, but did the job

R3iIaIal.jpg

There is a more expensive brushless one with a slightly longer (650 rather than 600) blade but the 600 on this was still longer than the 450 on the attachment and being lighter I could stretch further on the ladder. Happy camper so far

Last edited:
@Holiday followed suit with an Ego purchase (his post below) -

One of the many things I like about P&C is all the good advice and not just about manscaping there is some good advice about landscaping too ;)
Is why I recommend EGO cordless electric gear.
Their self peopelled mower cuts through thick wet grass better than some petrol mowers I've used for example!
Their blowers are beasts.
Heeded @borked advice because my old B&S 4 stroke is on it's last legs and I wanted something quieter
$799 Special includes the Beast of a Blower that feels more like a jet engine than a blower. I'd love to hang this off the back of a dinghy
nDsB9QV.jpg

Thanks @borked

Last edited:
Not to be outdone, @borked decided to 'show off' -

Cheeky buggers I wonder if the deal being $1 below was intentional

https://egopowerplus.com.au/redemption

MORE BUZZ FOR YOUR BUCK
1 Spend $800 or more on participating EGO products between 1 October and 31 December 2021
2 Register your claim by January 31, 2022 at egopowerplus.com.au/promo
3 Receive your free battery once approved

I'll definitely inquire but if not eligible it is still a great deal and I reckon the battery will last 2 x weeks mowing the whole yard
Nothing else in their range to grab to get you over if they quibble over a single dollar?

Oh and for those wondering...
MY self propelled EGO munching through wet grass high enough to partially camouflage it!
A pic to show it's not just talk!
A9QoKhp.jpg

I miss the crap out of bunnings…
I got this guy out of the ground with a hand saw and a crow bar.
xBZI2kNl.jpg

I need new tools..

Well done, and just the man I wanted here!

My petrol Ryobi whipper snipper is giving me intermittent grief, so I was tossing up between Ryobi 36v and Ego when I noticed the Ryobi 36v Brushless Power Head with a 4.0Ah battery and charger - that fits the old petrol expand-it accessories (which I already have!)

Only trouble, just one review -

HUpmIhBl.png

... but then I thought, if Dave from Canberra was a reliable and trusted P&C member - it must be a solid review!

(is this your review @Ferret619?)

Last edited:
I got this guy out of the ground with a hand saw and a crow bar.

Neanderthal :)

Seriously good effort, I still reach for the hand tools first when it comes to pruning, sawing and trimming.
My makeshift crowbar is a rear axle from the dump a bit heavier and stronger than your average crow bar and a good concrete breaker

Top effort @Ferret619
Surprising what can be done with just hand tools.
At times they're quicker than using powered tools.

@Mark1966 if you have Ryobi 36v batteries, you're best to stick with that platform.
I have to admit that they've more range than EGO, particularly for their 18v range.

Top effort @Ferret619
Surprising what can be done with just hand tools.
At times they're quicker than using powered tools.

@Mark1966 if you have Ryobi 36v batteries, you're best to stick with that platform.
I have to admit that they've more range than EGO, particularly for their 18v range.

my one and only is from the 36v range.

the ability to convert my existing petrol accessories to battery though is very appealing

OK, I'm not sure if it was a review from @Ferret619 but I ordered the the Ryobi 36v Brushless Power Head with a 4.0Ah battery and charger - and I can confirm that it fits the old petrol expand-it accessories which I have!

Used it this afternoon after picking it up this morning (Bunnings was FERAL) and it did all I needed to do around my place and some work on the Territory land next door running to about 1/2 of the last battery light left. Very impressed, so much easier and quieter and lighter than the petrol.

huge_3cd9b1a2-2cdb-432c-b8a4-811df4d5a60d.jpg

When I need to replace my mover there will be no question -

Ryobi Lithium+ 36V 5.0Ah 18" Brushless Lawn Mower Kit!

huge_c0039b2c-b5d6-4381-a092-66a33bf59d0e.jpg

Last edited:
I’m so gonna get something like this.
I’m sick of petrol, thanks for the write up.
Just make sure the neighbour sees you using it, mine got to talking shit about me to me because his "neighbour" who he didnt recognise in front of him started using electric (despite it being easier and alot quieter) and gave away his manly hood among other things said. Needless to say he had an embarrassing end to the conversation and i havent seen or heard from him since though so win win🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

OK, I'm not sure if it was a review from @Ferret619 but I ordered the he Ryobi 36v Brushless Power Head with a 4.0Ah battery and charger - and I can confirm that it fits the old petrol expand-it accessories which I have!

Used it this afternoon after picking it up this morning (Bunnings was FERAL) and it did all I needed to do around my place and some work on the Territory land next door running to about 1/2 of the last battery light left. Very impressed, so much easier and quieter and lighter than the petrol.

I have both @Mark1966 as well as a blower. Got 2 spare batteries for the mower on Ebay - somewhere in China but you really need at least one extra battery for the mower. We got 2 cause 2 out of chine were cheaper than one from here. All work well

I have both @Mark1966 as well as a blower. Got 2 spare batteries for the mower on Ebay - somewhere in China but you really need at least one extra battery for the mower. We got 2 cause 2 out of chine were cheaper than one from here. All work well

With that mower kit is a 5.0Ah battery, I have a 4.0Ah with the power head and a 2.0Ah with the edger - so between them I hope I will be OK!

Not in a rush to get it - petrol mower is still doing OK

For the average residential property, battery really is the way to go imho.
Compare it to electric vehicles and the direction they're going.

Yeah that 36V mower is really tempting as I've had bad experience with the 18V gear as killed a hedger trimmer and a drill but the mini hedge trimmer does a decent job around my small block.

Yeah that 36V mower is really tempting as I've had bad experience with the 18V gear as killed a hedger trimmer and a drill but the mini hedge trimmer does a decent job around my small block.

Yes, I've heard very mixed reviews of their 18v range, much better on their 36v, or I think I would take anything in the EGO 56v range (although hard to tell their models apart I must confess).

OK, I'm not sure if it was a review from @Ferret619 but I ordered the the Ryobi 36v Brushless Power Head with a 4.0Ah battery and charger - and I can confirm that it fits the old petrol expand-it accessories which I have!

I hope their 38v mowers are better than their petrol ones, my 2018 Ryobi mower with a Subaru OHC engine is garbage.

At @Mark1966 how big is your lawned area? I've heard great things about their Electric ride-on mowers like this one

3ab02fc945304330ad648757c0c64078

but the cream of the crop is this bad boy!
a6465d20ef104fda96da978d8112581c

I hope their 38v mowers are better than their petrol ones, my 2018 Ryobi mower with a Subaru OHC engine is garbage.

At @Mark1966 how big is your lawned area? I've heard great things about their Electric ride-on mowers like this one

One way to brag about owning an electric vehicle I suppose!
Now to wait for the EGO one at a reasonable price despite NOT needing it, yet what's that matter?
My ManCard insists I get an EGO ZeroTurn ride-on mower.
Suppose that's cheaper than all that makeup, clothing and shoes the fairer sex need!

Not THAT big!

Not THAT big!
Refrains from the obvious "That's what she said" comment and in lieu politely suggests purchasing a hobby farm so you've the acreage to justify it :)
A nice bubbling brook running through it, old log shack on top of a hill overlooking the valley, brook and your modest collective herd and crops.
Open fire to sit by with family.
And that beauty in the shed looking back at you with equal anticipation.
Can life get any better?