GC-84P vs AS-D2

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Anybody own both these razors and care to give a comparison? They look very similar in photos and RAD is saying I must try AS-D2
Even the EJ 3one6 for that matter. They all look very similar Tech design

Anybody own both these razors and care to give a comparison? They look very similar in photos and RAD is saying I must try AS-D2
Even the EJ 3one6 for that matter. They all look very similar Tech design
The AS-D2 is very mild. I use it with a Feather blade. I like to pull it out for the occasional shave as it is a very nice razor but generally it's too mild for me. The 0.68P Game Changer might be a fairer comparison.

Exactly the AS-D2 is definitely milder than the 84P...maybe even milder than the 68P

If the 3one6 is the same head design as the Muhle Rocca, then we are talking a completely different beast here...

The Feather AS-D2 is very mild and slightly more effective than the vintage Gillette Tech. They both shave very much the same side by side.

The Game Changer .68P is nowhere near as the Feather AS-D2, .84P is far more effective and smoother than the Feather AS-D2

Thanks guys, you have convinced me not to waste money chasing the AS-D2.
Do you lose enabling points? :greedy:
I expect the Karve CB "E" Plate may be my last purchase for a while. Very happy with GC-84P and the other quality razors are $$$$$

...and then there is the nagging feeling..."but what if the razors is perfect for ME"
:D :D :D

The Feather AS-D2 is great for everyday shaving for half a day growth or a whole day growth, with no irritation or razor burn using a very sharp smooth blade that works fantastic with the Feather AS-D2 which are:-

Feather Hi Stainless (for those who love or hate)
KAI Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Stainless (red & white pack)
Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (yellow pack)
Astra Superior Stainless (maybe YMMV)

Also forgot to say that the Feather AS-D2 is not suitable for shaving no more than 2 days growth maximum, it’s mainly for everyday shaving, that’s why the razor is very mild.

...I do not often post here, but felt I maybe able to offer a different perspective. I have the AS-D2, .68, .84 and the Karve. Firstly, all of these razors are great shavers. The AS-D2 though, can be a bit of a Jeckel & Hyde razor. In use it is very different from the others. It can shave close, is smooth and most importantly very gentle on the skin. The caveat?' It was designed for the Feather blade and works best with this blade, it is not an easy razor to learn, at least not for me, the optimum shaving angle is like an on off switch. It rewards monogamy and time spent with it; if you have it in rotation it takes a while to tune it in again. Some times I want to throw it against the wall but when it delivers, it really delivers a close, comfortable, smooth, irritation free shave. Many AS-D2's end up on BST often after a week or so of purchasing, I think people do not have the patience to learn the razor and just dismiss it as being too mild. It must rank as one of the most traded razors. The AS-D2 can shave close it just has a longer learning curve than the other razors. No instant grastification like the other razors. I would not discount an AS-D2 if you find one on BST at a good price and you have patience.

Worth a watch if you are considering an AS-D2

I have both and the Feather is milder, a lot milder. I use the gamechanger .84 if I haven’t shaved for a couple of days. Definitely not a daily shaver for me.

AS-D2 is one of the mildest razors you can purchase. It will last for generations. With a feather blade it is a mild and effcient shave. Not everyone has 30mins for a shave. YMMV.

GC 0.84 with a shorter handle like the RR barberpole or radioknob is a very efficient mid aggressive razor.
I recently changed my handle to a barberpole from a 100mm+ Titanium, and have found a new liking to the razor. Astra Stainless (blue pack) was an instant success for me and the GC 0.84.

Not everyone has 30mins for a shave. YMMV.
giphy.gif

Asked your wife to help you finished your shave, just sit back and let her sit on your saddle and let her do the shaving for you ... easy peasy ;)

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Asked your wife to help you finished your shave, just sit back and let her sit on your saddle and let her do the shaving for you ... easy peasy ;)
Not sure about this one @SpeedyPC. The gif shows a guy thinking, 'if she shaves me then I can get intimate with her and shave her, a great trust exercise.' 'Yeah sure honey I'll let you shave me'. The moment the blade touches his face he realises that this is not a good life choice on so many different levels.

Not sure about this one @SpeedyPC. The gif shows a guy thinking, 'if she shaves me then I can get intimate with her and shave her, a great trust exercise.' 'Yeah sure honey I'll let you shave me'. The moment the blade touches his face he realises that this is not a good life choice on so many different levels.
I thought marriage is supposed to be about TRUSTING each other, otherwise, and if, you’re wife didn’t married your handsome blazing saddle between your finest hairy jockstrap, she’s only relying on your strongest money tree and you wouldn’t be complaining about her bloody credit card bill.

And you still couldn’t allow her to shave your handsome face with a straight razor on so many Sweeney Todd levels.

Last edited: