G'day from a Long Time Lurker

At the moment I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE89, Body Shop Synth Brush and some ToBS Sandalwood soap. I used to like Wilkinson Sword blades, but recently picked up a sampler as I'm not entirely happy with the shave I've been getting from the swords lately. I'm also looking to replace the ToBS with some APR or Noble Otter as soon as Beard and Blade have them back in stock.

If anyone has any recommendations especially for a razor, I'm all ears. I'd also love to hear about some of the better Tobacco-y/boozey scented soaps.

Welcome @ollietwo!

Ignore @alfredus - he will lead you down an expensive rabbit hole :)

Want razors?

Check out the Weekly Review thread - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/weekly-razor-review.5077/

Or you can find a specific razor using the index - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/weekly-razor-review-index.6066/

Soaps? A little dated now buy @SpeedyPC's soap lists would be a good place to start - http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/speedys-soap-lists.4446/

Enjoy!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

@alfredus Thanks for the add for the SA/Adelaide thread, appreciate it. That wolfman is something else, although, I think I need to ease the finance minister into it if I want to stay living 😂.

@Mark1966 - those threads are a wealth of knowledge, thanks heaps!

@StratMan - I’m looking for something that can get closer to BBS in one or two passes. At the moment I can get there with three plus touch ups. I’m liking the look of the Rockwell 6c/s for its adaptability with the different plates.

@Holiday - cheers for the heads up about Squadron Soaps, I’m keen any one to recommend? The Group Captain’s Blend sounds good but am open to others, it’s even better that they’re a South Australian artisan as well.

I’d forgotten what a rabbit hole this hobby was - back down I go!

out of the squadron soaps my favorite is the Warden, if you are into old school barbershop scents you cant go past that one, its my favorite barbershop scent period. Will get one soon as that comes back into stock

My first razor was the DE89 and i cant get a decent shave from it but i find it way to mild. The rockwell 6C is a good choice as the plates gives you options allowing you to find your level of comfort and also practice against a more efficient plate. It is made from zamak though.

I would also recommend you look at the game changer .84 P (solid bar). This is made from stainless steel and wont break the bank at $120 with free delivery and sent from within AU, dont bother with the 68 plate as it wont be much more efficient than what you have. The 84P is a very smooth shaver while being much more efficient.

Game Changer 0.84P in Australia

@Holiday - cheers for the heads up about Squadron Soaps, I’m keen any one to recommend? The Group Captain’s Blend sounds good but am open to others, it’s even better that they’re a South Australian artisan as well.

I have Scramble and it is a nice sweet scent but Group Captain's Blend is more popular on the forum. You can't go wrong with any of them.

out of the squadron soaps my favorite is the Warden, if you are into old school barbershop scents you cant go past that one, its my favorite barbershop scent period. Will get one soon as that comes back into stock

I would also recommend you look at the game changer .84 P (solid bar). This is made from stainless steel and wont break the bank at $120 with free delivery and sent from within AU, dont bother with the 68 plate as it wont be much more efficient than what you have. The 84P is a very smooth shaver while being much more efficient.

+1 GC.84-P especially if you just want a single head and don't want to experiment with various base plates and +1 Squadron The Warden but currently out of stock.

+1 GC.84-P especially if you just want a single head and don't want to experiment with various base plates and +1 Squadron The Warden but currently out of stock.

I ended up going with the Rockwell 6c, I figured the options are better for me at the moment while I work out what I like, seeing as my only experience at the moment is the DE89 which hasn't done it for me. Plus, I like tinkering and am interested to see the results with different blade/plate combos.