G'Day from the Blue Mountains

Extra Medium

Howdy Folks,

The name's Matt
  • I have started using a Feather AS-D2 as my first DE razor. Probably a bit of an amateur mistake but I love stuff that's made in Japan so I guess that appealed to me.
  • I have Proraso Blue, Oaken Lab Batavia Barber and Blue Devil Shave Co Huon Pine scent shave soaps / creams. The Blue Devil is by far and away my favorite so far.
  • I only started wet shaving probably around August this year. So only around 3 months and I have made plenty of mistakes so far and no doubt a lot more to come.
  • I started looking into why I was getting ingrown hairs and the article mentioned going back to old school shaving with a single blade. So a bit of research online and here I am. I am really enjoying shaving now. It use to by such a chore but I find it really enjoyable now, I am actually shaving more frequently than I use to.
  • I have been using Feather blades with my razor and have been managing to cut myself quite frequently. My last shave I used a Voskhod which I received as a free sample from Blue Devil with the soap. It felt much safer than the Feather blade. It almost gave me as much confidence as using a cartridge razor. Tried the blade again and it was pulling an tugging so I think they might be only good for one shave... Got a brand spanker out of the packet and it was great again.
    Anyway I thought I would say hi so I can hopefully start spamming all of the topics in all of the forums asap.

Cheers,

Matt

G'day Matt welcome to the world's deepest P&C rabbit hole.

giphy.gif

Welcome Matt AKA @Extra Medium

There are many wet shavers that swear by Feather AS-D2 as their go to razor. It is a quality razor and solid performer although too mild for many. Get yourself some sample blades, enjoy the variety and marvel at the difference in performance. @SpeedyPC's list is a good base and anything above middle of the road potential match for the AS-D2

Feather Hi-Stainless <---- Very very sharp
Kai Stainless
Gillette Nacet
Vintage Gillette Aussie 'Gold' Super Stainless (spoiler)
Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum
Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Stainless red & white (old) the old version is no longer available on the market
Gillette Minora Stainless (new) see above FYI
Polsilver Super Iridium (old) & Wizamet Super Iridium (new) both are the same blade
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black Super Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Gillette Platinum & King C Gillette
Wizamet Polsilver Brown Stainless
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra Superior Stainless
Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword
Treet Platinum (orange & white)
Astra Superior Platinum <------ Middle of the road everyday shave

Welcome aboard @Extra Medium, you'll find some good company here. WRT your blade issues, I'd suggest just a little more time devoted to your pre-shave. I'm not sure that it matters much what you do, eg shower, soap/water, hot towel etc so long as you do something to soften up those whiskers and make your hide easier to shave over... HTH

Great advice from @Holiday and @Gargravarr above.
The AS-D2 was one of my first razors - still have it. Like your experiences, Matt, I found the Feather too bitey, and the Voskhod too tuggy. The blades that I find work really well in this razor are Polsilvers and Permasharps. But as anyone will tell you, the most variable variable in wet shaving is DE blades - a highly personal and subjective matter. Experiment with various blades, and go easy with your pressure, which took me a while to get right.
Another tip - most razors work at an angle of approx 30 degrees, but I found that the AS-D2 works best for me at approx 45 degrees.
Best of luck, and trust your instincts.

Welcome to P&C @Extra Medium - great to have you here (y)

I agree with our trusted members here - the ASD2 is enjoyed by many experienced wet shavers - you just need to pair it with the right blade for you

Hey @OP
Say hi when you get the chance to see Con and Kim @TSW up your way.
Probably one of, if not the best shaving stores in Straya :)