G'day gang

datho87

Happy to be here!

I'm a Sydney based Melbournian, having been DE shaving for about a year now. Started out with a 34C, now in love with a recently acquired Timeless .95 with scalloped baseplate, teamed up with Astra SP blades. And at the risk of ruffling some feathers, I also have to say I prefer synthetic to badger and boar brushes...

I'm into both commercial (love Tabac and MWF) and artisan soaps. The local artisan talent we have here in Aus is seriously impressive - APR and Squadron Soaps are particular favourites.

It's gonna be great learning more about this great hobby from you guys.

Dave

Welcome to P&C @datho87 - great to have you here (y)

@datho87 welcome. Yes, Sydney is better than Melbourne these days :p
Nice shave setup already. MWF and the Tabac are great performers, personally found them later on but still use them once and a awhile. bc the local Artisan stuff is too good, especially in winter.

Synth guy, yep hearing you. Just love the simplicity during a morning face shave on a work day. What brushes have you explored to affirm your choice?

@datho87 welcome. Yes, Sydney is better than Melbourne these days :p
Nice shave setup already. MWF and the Tabac are great performers, personally found them later on but still use them once and a awhile. bc the local Artisan stuff is too good, especially in winter.

Synth guy, yep hearing you. Just love the simplicity during a morning face shave on a work day. What brushes have you explored to affirm your choice?

Thanks for the kind words @RustyBlade . I've tried natural hair brushes from Omega, Vulfix and Simpsons. They're really good, to be sure, but I think the best synthetic brushes match them in performance, maybe with the exception of water retention. The lather and massage I get from the synthetics are as good as I want and need. So my vote is with synths, given they're far cheaper and, at the risk of sounding like a tree-hugger, don't put some poor animals through the ringer.

I agree the artisan soaps are absolutely incredible, and definitely my go-to. However I don't want to forget or snob off the commercial classics - I think they're good, unpretentious performers (not saying artisan soaps are pretentious). Using them is also a nod to the heritage of wet-shaving.