Gem Featherweight

Just 17 days and then...
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I was a bit spoilt yesterday, firstly my Rockwell 6s turned up, very quickly, thanks to a great deal and super fast delivery from @stillshunter, thanks again. On the same day my Gem SE blades arrived from Connaught for the Gem Featherweights I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I decided to wait for the weekend, when I have more time to enjoy it and experiment to try out the 6s but tried the SE today.

What a great shave for my first SE! I thought it might be a bit of trial and error to get used to it after a DE. But no, the SE seemed simple and intuitive to use. It gave a great mild and efficient shave with no dramas at all. Loving the Gem! The gauntlet has been thrown down, it will be interesting to see how the 6s, which looks and feels fantastic, stacks up. Is it fair to pit the DE against the SE? Well its all about the shave and, of course, the journey.

I confess that I sometimes wonder if DEs are to SEs what carts are to DEs ....

Was it simply the Gillette marketing machine that resulted in the shift to DEs from SEs which were, arguably, a better technology in the early 1900s?

I was a bit spoilt yesterday, firstly my Rockwell 6s turned up, very quickly, thanks to a great deal and super fast delivery from @stillshunter, thanks again. On the same day my Gem SE blades arrived from Connaught for the Gem Featherweights I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I decided to wait for the weekend, when I have more time to enjoy it and experiment to try out the 6s but tried the SE today.

What a great shave for my first SE! I thought it might be a bit of trial and error to get used to it after a DE. But no, the SE seemed simple and intuitive to use. It gave a great mild and efficient shave with no dramas at all. Loving the Gem! The gauntlet has been thrown down, it will be interesting to see how the 6s, which looks and feels fantastic, stacks up. Is it fair to pit the DE against the SE? Well its all about the shave and, of course, the journey.

Unfair to compare? Maybe... it's a battle that is lost from the start. SE all the way.

Why did the DE take over? My guess is the blade cost was lower but as all SE users know, they SE actually affords more shaves despite the edge spending half the time on the face. Then, as today, most consumers don't care too much for long term financial gains, only short term. "Only a rich man can afford to buy cheap tools"

Mate, I'm still considering doing a trade for the heavy.... just a few things on my plate ATM.

Was it simply the Gillette marketing machine that resulted in the shift to DEs from SEs which were, arguably, a better technology in the early 1900s?
How do we reconcile this very insightful and accurate comment with your being Head Curator of the National Gillette Museum?
...out of interest, where do straights fit in this continuity? Are SEs to straights what carts are to DEs? ;)

Firstly, I forgot it's an Eveready not a Gem, sorry, but it all adds up to the same thing I guess.

The Featherweight is an amazing razor, hey? The SE Rabbit Hole is definitely one worth venturing down.

Yes, it is a great little razor and I may be going down that rabbit hole. Could be a couple more heading my way soon.
I was wandering how the modern SE compares to the vintage, are they worth looking into?Not that I will be doing that for quite a while.

Early days for me but maybe the SE is a better technology. I guess we could forgive the Gillette marketing machine for pushing the DEs over the SEs but not for pushing their modern multiblade monstrosities!

Unfair to compare? Maybe... it's a battle that is lost from the start. SE all the way.

Why did the DE take over? My guess is the blade cost was lower but as all SE users know, they SE actually affords more shaves despite the edge spending half the time on the face. Then, as today, most consumers don't care too much for long term financial gains, only short term. "Only a rich man can afford to buy cheap tools"

Mate, I'm still considering doing a trade for the heavy.... just a few things on my plate ATM.

So maybe it's a backward progression from Straights to SEs to DEs to Carts. And always telling us the next thing is better and cheaper. Well bugger that! I'm glad I'm off that train an heading back the way we came.

@Sxot, if you want make that trade some time that's good but no problem either way. The Featherweight will be around for some time so no worries and no hurries

And lastly, the Rockwell 6s is yet to make it's play, the contest is not lost. It's a heavyweight with a good track record and a few tricks up it's sleeve!

The SE blade is heavier and more rigid and lasts longer than DE blades - a "straight on a stick" indeed.

Im sure that King Gillette was a marketing genius and with his constant development of new razors that all used the same blades...buried the competition.

SE's are a great razor and deliver a fantastic shave - they look amazing too, and prices are so much cheaper than vintage DEs. (y)

How do we reconcile this very insightful and accurate comment with your being Head Curator of the National Gillette Museum?
...out of interest, where do straights fit in this continuity? Are SEs to straights what carts are to DEs? ;)

Both SEs and DEs use disposable blades - that was the improvement over straights and the valet type strop-able blades

I was wandering how the modern SE compares to the vintage, are they worth looking into?Not that I will be doing that for quite a while.

No one that I am aware of makes a modern SE that accepts the GEM style blades. I have faint recollection that the One Blade might if you take the spine off. The all (that I know of) take the much thinner blades - injectors or shavette. Is that an issue? To me it is because I don't want to buy another set of blades, and I don't like the short head form typically employed. If someone were to make a modern razor that would accept the GEM style blades I will be on that bandwagon!

Are they worth looking into? Sure if you like what you see. Also try the vintage injectors.

Thanks for the info @Sxot. I think, like you, I would be more inclined to look into a modern SE if they could fit a standard Gem type blade. The vintage injectors sound interesting and, who knows, that might lead to more interest in a modern SE. I think for the time being I will enjoy the DEs and SEs and leave that treat for the future. One day, I have it in my mind to try a straight but that will be down the road quite a way.

@Mark1966

What, after bought a mach 7 (or whatever it was), the started a thread about it, then used it and said it was a great shaver, then passed it around to others who swore it was a good as their favourite DE?

As a SR & SE users, I'd have to agree though.