General question on Gillette Fatboy Adjustable

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day P&C,

Last year early December I've send my Gillette Fatboy Adjustable G2 1961 to NZ at Restored Razors.com for a replated and repairs and it came today in the mail looking like brand new WOW and this is my very first Fatboy fully operational ready to used.

My question is before I go any further what is the general rule when I want to change the dial number settings do I open the butterfly door first and than change the dial settings, or I change the dial settings while the doors are closed because I have no idea and I'm afraid I might break it.

Last edited:
(y) thank you @Tony Forsyth

Also for got to ask what's the best way to keep Fatboy clean and do I need mineral oil to apply all moving parts once every 2 months or more to keep the Fatboy in great shape for a very long time.

@SpeedyPC I drop a little mineral oil down the hole every other shave which was recommended to me. But with regards to cleaning I give it good rinse and wipe with a cloth after each and every use :) Not 100% sure what if any other recommendations would be though.

Not sure if applicable to brass razors as well, but I would loosen the TTO slightly, when leaving a blade inside...

My routine is to

1. Remove blade
2. Blow out any water from the bottom of the handle
3. Wipe with soft cloth

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it might be my last post but I guess I need to butt in here.

Maintenance
1. Remove Blade after shave each time
2. Thoroughly rinse after each use under a strong flow of water if available.
3. Shake of excess water
4. Use a microfiber cloth or soft cotton towel to dry.
5. Leave after use with the blade doors open to air dry.

Ongoing Maintenance.
1. Every few weeks take toothpaste & soft toothbrush and give a light scrub.
2. You can say every 6 months soak the razor overnight initially with hot tap water and add some washing up liquid. In the morning rinse off and dry thoroughly as described previously.

As a testament to knowing this works my own FatBoy is immaculate still after 12 months along with my examples as some have experienced.

And above all enjoy

G'day P&C,

Last year early December I've send my Gillette Fatboy Adjustable G2 1961 to NZ at Restored Razors.com for a replated and repairs and it came today in the mail looking like brand new WOW and this is my very first Fatboy fully operational ready to used.

My question is before I go any further what is the general rule when I want to change the dial number settings do I open the butterfly door first and than change the dial settings, or I change the dial settings while the doors are closed because I have no idea and I'm afraid I might break it.

First of all... PICS OR IT DIDN"T HAPPEN!

Second, Dave does fantastic work. I had him re-plate some Cobra Classic razors (in Black Chrome, Gold and Rose Gold) while he was still in the UK.

Thirdly, as for loosening the mechanism prior to adjusting I never did and the instructions don't say to either, but I'm sure its gentler on the razor to do so. @Tony Forsyth et al. maintenance tips above are spot on. I especially agree with @FatBoy58 and @Young Buck regarding removing the blade (I do after every shave and with every razor).

1958%20Fat%20Boy.jpg

The above instructions accompanied the 1959 Fatboy with super blue blades.