George Butler & Co "Shakespeare" SR

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I recently won this, my first vintage SR on eBay. Vendor's pics.
3sm6K4d.jpg

Fp7zcti.jpg

6/8 full-hollow, original ivory scales, Sheffield "silver" steel, manufactured about 1870.

I should have this within a week or two.

Last edited:
Nice!

The one straight I would almost like to own ...

Last edited:
The case appears to be original, although someone has attempted some restoration on it.
full

full

full

full

full
The blade is 6/8 Dutch (round) point, full-hollow grinder, single stabiliser, jumps top and bottom. The scales are definitely true ivory.
full
full

full

full

full
Based on the spine wear, I would say that this George Butler "Shakespeare" straight razor has not seen a lot of use over the past 150 years.

A sharpie test shows that it has been properly honed. The edge passes a TTT at about 5mm to 6mm from toe to about mid-length, after which it drops off towards the heel. I will give it a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression before shaving with it.

The ivory scales are very thin and care must be taken when closing the razor not to bend the scales or the toe will catch. With such thin scales, I thought that the balance point when opened 180° would be well away from the pivot pin. The wedge may be of lead as the razor balances within about 4mm or 5mm from the pivot pin towards the blade. That is what I am use to.

The razor weighs in with a mass of 47g. This is one of my lightest SR's. That is probably attributed to it being a full hollow.

The case appears to be original, although someone has attempted some restoration on it.
full

full

full

full

full
The blade is 6/8 Dutch (round) point, full-hollow grinder, single stabiliser, jumps top and bottom. The scales are definitely true ivory.
full
full

full

full

full
Based on the spine wear, I would say that this George Butler "Shakespeare" straight razor has not seen a lot of use over the past 150 years.

A sharpie test shows that it has been properly honed. The edge passes a TTT at about 5mm to 6mm from toe to about mid-length, after which it drops off towards the heel. I will give it a full diamond pasted balsa strop progression before shaving with it.

The ivory scales are very thin and care must be taken when closing the razor not to bend the scales or the toe will catch. With such thin scales, I thought that the balance point when opened 180° would be well away from the pivot pin. The wedge may be of lead as the razor balances within about 4mm or 5mm from the pivot pin towards the blade. That is what I am use to.

The razor weighs in with a mass of 47g. This is one of my lightest SR's. That is probably attributed to it being a full hollow.
Nice looking blade. Looks in pretty good condition for its age.(y)

full

full

full

full

full
full
full

full

full

full

God only knows why individuals attempt to repair antique items when they have neither the skills nor the correct material to do so; see Image 3 where it appears the case has been "bastardised" with Poly-Filla. IMHO antique should be left as is.