Gillette Foam shaving with a Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
This morning I started shaving with Gillette foam (Australian). Millions of men shave with it every day. It can't be that bad.

Ingredients are:

Water​
Triethanolamine​
Palmitic Acid​
Stearic Acid​
Laureth-23​
Butane​
Isobutane​
Sodium Lauyrl Sulfate​
Propane​
Fragrance​
BHT​

I'm no chemist but it looks like this foam is perfect for Vegans and Greenies. No animals or plants have been harmed with the ingredients.

First shave this morning, I prepared as normal by washing my face thoroughly with Pears Transparent (India) soap. Rinsing well, I squirted some Gillette foam on my hand and wiped it onto my whiskers. I then performed my normal WTG + 2 x XTG passes with a Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.70 straight razor, reapplying the foam before each pass.

Normally I would expect a DFS+ result when shaving with "real" soap. Not so with Gillette foam. The best I could get is a CCS result although it wasn't that comfortable. The foam was not as slick as my normal soaps (Proraso cream, ARKO stick, tallow Tabac stick, Palmolive cream, etc.). It also left a very oily feeling on my face that needed a lot of rinsing to remove.

The can needs a thoroughly good shaking before use. If you don't, it's not foam that comes out but rather a white milky thin cream. One day I might try it that way (as a thin cream) with a brush to see if that helps.

Tomorrow I'll try applying the foam with a brush and see what difference, if any, that makes.

Last edited:
This morning I started shaving with Gillette foam (Australian). Millions of men shave with it every day. It can't be that bad.

Ingredients are:

Water​
Triethanolamine​
Palmitic Acid​
Stearic Acid​
Laureth-23​
Butane​
Isobutane​
Sodium Lauyrl Sulfate​
Propane​
Fragrance​
BHT​

I'm no chemist but it looks like this foam is perfect for Vegans and Greenies. No animals or plants have been harmed with the ingredients.

First shave this morning, I prepared as normal by washing my face thoroughly with Pears Transparent (India) soap. Rinsing well, I squirted some Gillette foam on my hand and wiped it onto my whiskers. I then performed my normal WTG + 2 x XTG passes with a Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.70 straight razor, reapplying the foam before each pass.

Normally I would expect a DFS+ result when shaving with "real" soap. Not so with Gillette foam. The best I could get is a CCS result although it wasn't that comfortable. The foam was not as slick as my normal soaps (Proraso cream, ARKO stick, tallow Tabac stick, Palmolive cream, etc.). It also left a very oily feeling on my face that needed a lot of rinsing to remove.

The can needs a thoroughly good shaking before use. If you don't, it's not foam that comes out but rather a white milky thin cream. One day I might try it that way (as a thin cream) with a brush to see if that helps.

Tomorrow I'll try applying the foam with a brush and see what difference, if any, that makes.
I like the review interesting appreciate the post be interesting if any variable with the shave brush

I found this can of Gillette foam at the back of the bathroom cupboard in the farm cottage where I am currently residing.

full

full

This morning's shave was the same procedure as yesterday except that I used a damp brush to lather the foam that was applied to my face. I added water as necessary to get to a typical consistency that I use for SR shaving. I still needed to reapply more foam and brush before each pass.

The resultant shave was an improvement on yesterday's shave but still not up to my liking. The rinsing off of the lather residue still felt like trying to rinse off used sump oil. This shave, I decided to wash it off with Pears Transparent (India). That worked.

While shaving this morning, I was thinking, what is the purpose of canned goo if you have to use a brush to lather it. It is, so far, nowhere near as good as my regular creams and sticks. I'm not sure how many more shaves I can take using this Gillette foam.

Perhaps I need a SR with a built-in slime strip.

This morning (Wednesday) was the same prep as normal. This time I did not shake the can. I just squirted some of the milky cream Gillette "foam" into my damp brush and face lathered, adding a little water to get a consistency similar to yesterday.

First pass was WTG. A failure. I tried, I really tried hard to get this Gillette foam to work well for me straight razor shaving. I (or it) failed. I couldn't take any more!

I washed the used sump oil off my skin, pulled out my tallow Tabac and commenced shaving again. Oh what a feeling to get back to using a decent SR shaving lather.

That can of Gillette goo will never tempt me again. It is now in the garbage to contribute to our local land-fill.