Gold dollar

Dan.05

Hi all,

I just received a gold dollar razor with a leather pouch I bought for my beaujeu Dumontel. It says it's made in china. Are they all like that or is this one the cheap of the cheap and not worth looking at?

If it is going to be a half decent shave I might hone it up just for the sake of it. If nothing else I'll get practice at honing for my other 2 decent razors.

Any thoughts and any comments on my china gold?

"Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities."

MacGyver

This is the razor btw
038e0355f113996d4dbe18088f78d70c.jpg

MacGyver

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are all like that. They are cheap for a reason but that is not to say they don't shave well or hold an edge because they certainly do, or rather can.
Someone like @Mark buys them by the box full and starts honing. Some will be rubbish and will be thrown in the bin, others will take a nice edge and be sold to those looking to try SR shaving without the expense. . Basically, they are hit and miss. So, did you get a hit, or a miss?

I had one for a short time I got it off Mark Gerges it was a great buy I gave it a go 3 times Had some success with it I think Mark kindly had honed it up a bit more for me so if was my lack of skills rather than the razor the first go was awesome but the 2/3 go was a bit of a dogs breakfast. It was an experience but in answer to the question it seem to me to be a great little straight to try out on

Yes, they are all like that. They are cheap for a reason but that is not to say they don't shave well or hold an edge because they certainly do, or rather can.
Someone like @Mark buys them by the box full and starts honing. Some will be rubbish and will be thrown in the bin, others will take a nice edge and be sold to those looking to try SR shaving without the expense. . Basically, they are hit and miss. So, did you get a hit, or a miss?

No idea yet. I'm waiting for my lapping film to arrive as my stone collection is small and I don't have one fine enough to get a nice sharp edge. I'll keep you posted I guess. The scales feel like utter rubbish though. They are flimsy and creak as I open and close.

MacGyver

And this from our resident Honmeister himself

Damn fine video

MacGyver

Yeah I wouldn't get carried away with scales just yet. It's a $10 razor after all.

You want to make sure the edge is not warped and you may need to do quite a bit of work on a low grade stone to get the bevel anywhere near set. They often require quite a bit of material to come off (the spine). I would recommend you start even as low as a 500 grit. You will notice Mark is doing quite a lot of heavy half strokes to set the bevel.

I have a spare set of scales so it isn't going to cost anything.

MacGyver

Looks like she is a winner. Got her sharp enough to shave the hairs off my arm with no resistance. Next to shave the face when it grows

MacGyver

First shave with her the other day. Winner winner chicken dinner!

MacGyver

Well done @Dan.05, another good cheapy is the Chinese ZY brand.
A lot of the the comments on the Gold Dollar razors are --

[1] Inability or lack of skill and patience honing
and [2] Simple snobbery

I have one and it is as good as any of my other straights. As good as most not as good as others.

Well done @Dan.05, another good cheapy is the Chinese ZY brand.
A lot of the the comments on the Gold Dollar razors are --

[1] Inability or lack of skill and patience honing
and [2] Simple snobbery

I have one and it is as good as any of my other straights. As good as most not as good as others.

I honed it 1st go without issues. I'm no master at it, actually an amateur at best. But it isn't as hard as people say.

Yes it's not the most lavish blade but it shaved me well. I'll recommend one to any newbie that wants a blade to start with.

MacGyver