Gold Gillette Slim .....cleaning info

Truggers

Hi Guys

I have a 1967 M1 gold Slim inbound ( I have never been too bothered by the whole birth year thing but this is actually my birth year and correct quarter so bonus there) it looks to be pretty clean on the outside but I have read a few horror stories re the nasty gunk that builds up on the inside of adjustables.

With the gold plating being so thin I am not sure of the best way to clean internally - I have watched the Captain Murphy video re disassembling these razors but am worried that I could end up killing the razor completely !

Would you worry about disinfecting beyond warm water and soap or should I just get on and use it and stop being a big girl’s blouse ?

Cheers

So what you actually have is a M 1 (1967) Aristocrat, as the gold-plated ones where called. Achim has an M2 on his site -

1967%20Aristocrat%20M2.jpg

Warm water, a toothbrush and toothpaste will sort out most of the exterior stuff. The interior is a different story. I would not attempt to undo. Our resident cleaning maestro @58RW will tell you all about the gunk inside but I don't get too concerned. A disinfectant like Barbercide will take care of germs (available on eBay from international suppliers) or there would be other local equivalents. Just don't soak in these too long - lest hard be done as happened to me once (overnight in Barbercide is not recommended!)

Thanks Mark - I forgot about them being called Aristocrat’s !
I would definitely describe it as user grade but sometimes bad photos leave you happily surprised when they actually arrive.
It could take a while to land from Israel but will put some photos up when it does.

So what you actually have is a M 1 (1967) Aristocrat, as the gold-plated ones where called. Achim has an M2 on his site -
Warm water, a toothbrush and toothpaste will sort out most of the exterior stuff. The interior is a different story. I would not attempt to undo. Our resident cleaning maestro @58RW will tell you all about the gunk inside but I don't get too concerned. A disinfectant like Barbercide will take care of germs (available on eBay from international suppliers) or there would be other local equivalents. Just don't soak in these too long - lest hard be done as happened to me once (overnight in Barbercide is not recommended!)

What was the result of overnight in Barbercide? I've left stuff to soak for 5 or 10 mins and forgot about it for up to an hour but got away with that.
I've got some user grade Fatboy's and Slims and was wondering same thing. Whether they get sent away for full treatment which would include dissembling or whether to have a crack at dissembling myself.

Hi Guys

I have a 1967 M1 gold Slim inbound ( I have never been too bothered by the whole birth year thing but this is actually my birth year and correct quarter so bonus there) it looks to be pretty clean on the outside but I have read a few horror stories re the nasty gunk that builds up on the inside of adjustables.

With the gold plating being so thin I am not sure of the best way to clean internally - I have watched the Captain Murphy video re disassembling these razors but am worried that I could end up killing the razor completely !

Would you worry about disinfecting beyond warm water and soap or should I just get on and use it and stop being a big girl’s blouse ?

Cheers
Show me a pic I might be able to access what you have coming if there more than one pic (angles) then include

That is one beautiful set there @Mark1966....WOW

OK OK.......... step aside let me take a closer look at this, I think I'll have to take this away with me to study it more closely.
Trust me I'll give it back honest, promise .................:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::p:p

From the price I could see it appears you did well on that score. Maybe as he has other items including a Gillette Black Beauty and one other a Schick I think he has deleted the listing following it's sale so onlyn you the winner can still see the pics