Gold prospecting/ fossil hunting

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I have either/ both of these in the bucket list. Am thinking would be good to try with the kiddies once they are a little bit older. Have any of you tried it? How was it?

Have any of you tried it? How was it?
I've found a few stones (topaz and one little sapphire) here in Tasmania over a period of several days. And I have a friend (a former workmate) who took up panning for gold as a diversion to keep him out of the betting shops. He apparently finds little bits from time to time.

Not enough to replace the day job, but healthy way of getting some fresh air. It's something that tends to attract loners, so I have no advice on whether it makes a good family outing.

I've found a few stones (topaz and one little sapphire) here in Tasmania over a period of several days. And I have a friend (a former workmate) who took up panning for gold as a diversion to keep him out of the betting shops. He apparently finds little bits from time to time.

Not enough to replace the day job, but healthy way of getting some fresh air. It's something that tends to attract loners, so I have no advice on whether it makes a good family outing.
giphy.gif

I have either/ both of these in the bucket list. Am thinking would be good to try with the kiddies once they are a little bit older. Have any of you tried it? How was it?

I was born in Bathurst NSW and grew up there as a youngling. Besides selling my fathers beer collection to thirsty customers on Race Day, My cousins and I used to go prospecting at the back of the property as we had a deep gully that had a creek. I spent many a weekend prospecting for gold for fun in between trapping rabbits and hunting foxes. From time to time after heavy rains you would find the occasional small granular pebbles. Once in a while you would find something larger than 10cm in diameter. (Was able to fund two dirt bikes :))

A lot of the Tourists head up the hwy to Sofala where they have prospecting for families. Central Western NSW is famous for gold prospecting, as that is where the first recorded gold find was discovered at Ophir in 1849. There are also alot of wineries in the area to keep the other halves sedate.