Got something cool? Non-shaving Acquisitions Thread

Hang on isn't it Turkish coffee ? :LOL:
Yeah almost tempted to get one for my mum/aunty as they use a copper cezve or a cheapo electric thing that they brought over from the old country. :dead:

I'm not that much of a coffee drinker myself and find 'Balkan coffee' too bitter but the descriptions from this machine make it almost worth a try...? :unsure:

Yeah almost tempted to get one for my mum/aunty as they use a copper cezve or a cheapo electric thing that they brought over from the old country. :dead:

I'm not that much of a coffee drinker myself and find 'Balkan coffee' too bitter but the descriptions from this machine make it almost worth a try...? :unsure:

hiya mate, the cafe maker itself is amazing in the way it automatically turns off the machine making it convenient and also the timing giving you the perfect kaimaki

BUT

it won’t make your cafe taste any my better, you can polish a turd but it’s still a turd :)

to make great cafe you need top quality coffee beans (and freshness) to start with.. the cafe I have listed before is the stuff you want..

coming from Australia it would be safe to assume the balkans cafe u tried was bushels? (Red cap) if so this is rubbish

hiya mate, the cafe maker itself is amazing in the way it automatically turns off the machine making it convenient and also the timing giving you the perfect kaimaki

BUT

it won’t make your cafe taste any my better, you can polish a turd but it’s still a turd :)

to make great cafe you need top quality coffee beans (and freshness) to start with.. the cafe I have listed before is the stuff you want..

coming from Australia it would be safe to assume the balkans cafe u tried was bushels? (Red cap) if so this is rubbish
All great points... The balkans cafe might as well be bushels red as it always ends up bitter and we're way too lazy to grind our own quality beans.
I've bookmarked this one as an alternative/affordable to a fancy cafe machine. All I need to do now is start drinking coffee more often :giggle:

Just throwing in my 2 cents: although both the turks and greeks claim this type of coffee (fine ground coffee beans with boiling water), it has been around way longer and comes most likely from the Ethiopian region.

In any case IMO the bet way to make it is the Lebanese method: rather than starting with cold water, you poor almost boiling water to your pot with ground beans. Then you put your pot on a small flame and once it starts to froth take it off straight away.

Now if you add to that, what has been already said by @StratMan (quality beans freshly ground) the resulting brew is actually very nice...

Thanks to some advice from our resident metallurgist

TOJIRO DP3 SERIES 17 CM SANTOKU KNIFE F-503
MXZGVS4.png

Description
TOJIRO DP3 SERIES knives are well known and respected by professional chefs and being economically priced they are gaining favour with home enthusiasts also. The DP3 series has a 3 layer blade, the cutting edge being a core of high cobalt alloy steel. This is clad on each side with a layer of high chrome rust resistant steel. The western style handle is made of a recycled timber product that is food safe, has a warm feel and is wear resistant.

SPECIFICATIONS
Overall Length:
Blade Length: 170 mm
Blade Thickness:
Style: Fully Forged, Full Tang, Stainless Triple Rivets
Steel: 3 Layer, High Cobalt Core, High Chrome Sides
Hardness: 60 HRC
Handle Material: Food Grade Recycled Timber Product
Weight: Grams
Made in: Japan
Product Code: YJF503

Thanks to some advice from our resident metallurgist

TOJIRO DP3 SERIES 17 CM SANTOKU KNIFE F-503
MXZGVS4.png

Description
TOJIRO DP3 SERIES knives are well known and respected by professional chefs and being economically priced they are gaining favour with home enthusiasts also. The DP3 series has a 3 layer blade, the cutting edge being a core of high cobalt alloy steel. This is clad on each side with a layer of high chrome rust resistant steel. The western style handle is made of a recycled timber product that is food safe, has a warm feel and is wear resistant.

SPECIFICATIONS
Overall Length:
Blade Length: 170 mm
Blade Thickness:
Style: Fully Forged, Full Tang, Stainless Triple Rivets
Steel: 3 Layer, High Cobalt Core, High Chrome Sides
Hardness: 60 HRC
Handle Material: Food Grade Recycled Timber Product
Weight: Grams
Made in: Japan
Product Code: YJF503

Who else did what I did ...

https://www.knifeshopaustralia.com.au/tojiro-dp3-series-17-cm-santoku-knife-f-503

https://www.chef.com.au/knife-brands/tojiro/santoku-knife-17cm-dp-3-series-by-tojiro/

https://www.amazon.com.au/Tojiro-DP-Santoku-6-7-17cm/dp/B000UAPQEA

Just throwing in my 2 cents: although both the turks and greeks claim this type of coffee (fine ground coffee beans with boiling water), it has been around way longer and comes most likely from the Ethiopian region.

In any case IMO the bet way to make it is the Lebanese method: rather than starting with cold water, you poor almost boiling water to your pot with ground beans. Then you put your pot on a small flame and once it starts to froth take it off straight away.

Now if you add to that, what has been already said by @StratMan (quality beans freshly ground) the resulting brew is actually very nice...
Cheers for the history lesson and the next time I'm at mums I'll have to try this method... Just need to find some decent beans and the grinder :LOL:

regarding the 'cooking' method, I will certainly give this method a try, same coffee and maker but mix one in cold and the other in hot water in a side by side shootout and let you know.. cheers

no mate.. just get the this cafe, its the best i have had to date by far

turkish-coffee-kurukahveci-mehmet-efendi-250gr-291485_900x.jpg
Better still, if you roast your own beans, score some Yemen (preferably, but at a price) or Ethiopian beans from Coffee Snobs, roast them to a much lighter roast than you would for (say) espresso, and grind them as fine as you can. This defeats most "proper" grinders, but a mortar and pestle is great, and the cheapie blade-type coffee or spice grinders work well.

It's more work (and more fun), but it's a whole 'nother experience.

Edit: roasting doesn't need expensive equipment, you can get the job done with little more than a stainless colander inside a stainless bowl (colesworths or Ikea) and a $40 heat gun from Bunnings. Or you can get by with a popcorn machine...

Last edited: