Hang or sit.

pvsampson

Interested as to how members have their brushes.Do you hang them on a stand knot down after use,or sit them on the shelf knot up?
Curious as to whether there would be any issues with knot up and hygiene.
I've looked through threads,tried search but couldn't find anything relevant to question.

I've always stood mine upside down on its handle. nearly 10 years of doing so, and no hygiene or drying issues doing this. Brushes take the same time to dry regardless which way they're stored.

The suggestion water can get into the knot with this method is a myth. A shaving brush has such a deep, tight and well glued plug, water can't get in.

Always hang timber handles, synthetic handles no worries.

I've always stood mine upside down on its handle. nearly 10 years of doing so, and no hygiene or drying issues doing this. Brushes take the same time to dry regardless which way they're stored.

The suggestion water can get into the knot with this method is a myth. A shaving brush has such a deep, tight and well glued plug, water can't get in.

Yup, i agree with this.

But i hang them on a stand just cos i like how that looks.

Stand/sit.
This is where a poll would come in handy to keep track of responses. but I remember reading on another forum that there was almost no difference in drying time between the two. I think stand was slightly quicker to dry, but not enough for anyone to say one way is better.

I've always stood mine upside down on its handle.
Isn't that right way up? o_O

@pvsampson I have synthetics and you can stand them as nothing is going to rot or stay wet long.
Wooden handles I would hang as it will just extend their life more.
With natural hair there is a theory that if the knot at the base is wet then it will degrade so most hang. However hair naturally wicks moisture away so standing should be ok.
Mixed bag really.

But i hang them on a stand just cos i like how that looks.

Really the bathroom bling factor is the only reason for doing so. My Dad had an old Vulfix super that hung for years, barely used so never wet, and when I rescued it the hair fell out in clumps.

@pvsampson I have synthetics and you can stand them as nothing is going to rot or stay wet long.
With natural hair there is a theory that if the knot at the base is wet then it will degrade so most hang. However hair naturally wicks moisture away so standing should be ok.

I use synths mostly now, and after a few flicks and a towel strop, they're virtually dry.
Some sad sack over at you know where, actually did a spreadsheet on the drying times, sit or hung. Naturally Mark got excited about this.There's no discernible difference.

It doesn't really matter BUT ...

... you NEED at least a seven day rotation so they can completely dry out.

.. or maybe a fortnight?

... or even a months ?

What do others suggest? @Drubbing ???

(of course you would need a spreadsheet to track use)