Harris Tweed

Sigh, you open up to the world and this is what happens.

I see the general public is not yet ready to embrace us Tweed-wearing folk just yet :laugh:

Instead of Tux, I am now imagining that your avatar is Elmer Fudd.

Sigh, you open up to the world and this is what happens.

I see the general public is not yet ready to embrace us Tweed-wearing folk just yet :laugh:

Just remember, we fear that which we do not understand.

Agree, but I think what it is, is that Tweed is a Thin thing. The bigger you are the bigger those little squares get.
You eventually look like your wearing a Vintage red and black Hunting outfit.
Just not for everyone.

Living in the land that brought you tweed fabric, proper Harris Tweed is virtually indestructible. Not particularly thin either, nor is it that bloody awful material that American tourists seem fond of wearing (imagine an oldish bloke weighing in at around 140kg having 6 squares of the pattern on his back and optional cocoa mat on top... like a 1950s bookmaker's suit)

A love of Harris Tweed products is one of my semi-secret quirks. Personally, a good Harris Tweed jacket embodies the same qualities I like about most of my interests:

-Timeless
-Over-engineered/made to last
-Quality materials
-Great at what it is designed to do

I currently own two jackets (will post photos if there are other tragic out there who would appreciate seeing them). I'm not ashamed to say both of these came from 'op shops' and were under $20 each. For that you get a warm, naturally waterproof and (in my opinion) timelessly fashionable jacket.

Both my current jackets are fairly 'loud' variations of Tweed, so I hope to pick up a more subdued variety sometime soon. Will also be picking up a hat or two while I'm at it (probably a 'bucket' and a Stornoway cap)

One day I would like own a Donegal Tweed item also, as these are meant to be of similar quality.

Are there any other fans out there?
A nice fashionable cut is nice but living in the Yorkshire Dales I'm surrounded by it.
A good post this, I too like well made over-engineered things that will last a lifetime and you only have to buy once.
Quirky-ness is underated.
have you thought about growing a nice handlebar moustache?
I had a beauty for a while,ends twiddled with moustache wax and everything. I loved it,everybody else seemed to hate it but since I shaved it off its now missed.

A love of Harris Tweed products is one of my semi-secret quirks. Personally, a good Harris Tweed jacket embodies the same qualities I like about most of my interests:

-Timeless
-Quality materials

I currently own two jackets (will post photos if there are other tragic out there who would appreciate seeing them). I'm not ashamed to say both of these came from 'op shops' and were under $20 each. For that you get a warm, naturally waterproof and (in my opinion) timelessly fashionable jacket.

Both my current jackets are fairly 'loud' variations of Tweed, so I hope to pick up a more subdued variety sometime soon. Will also be picking up a hat or two while I'm at it (probably a 'bucket' and a Stornoway cap)

One day I would like own a Donegal Tweed item also, as these are meant to be of similar quality.

Are there any other fans out there?[/QUOTE

BUMP! Mr626 I too like Quality,Timeless,Well engineered products, do not own any tweed at this time but I live very near to the Yorkshire Dales and can be surrounded by miserable farmers who like it a LOT! If you are going to wear it be LOUD and PROUD that what I say. I do own a rather fetching purple spotty silk neckerchief which I like to sport on occasion.I think I look quite the DANDY when wearing it:cool:
Have you thought about growing a fine handlebar moustache? It would look well with the tweed/neckerchief/Cravat combo.
I grew a fine example,everybody hated it except me and eventually I bowed to family pressure (wife refused any loving action) and got rid.Now its gone they all miss it.
Have you thought about a nice GENTLEMANS cane?

I also believe this thread should be in the DRESSED UP section!

Last edited:

-Timeless
-Quality materials

Are there any other fans out there?[/QUOTE

BUMP! Mr626 I too like Quality,Timeless,Well engineered products, do not own any tweed at this time but I live very near to the Yorkshire Dales and can be surrounded by miserable farmers who like it a LOT! If you are going to wear it be LOUD and PROUD that what I say. I do own a rather fetching purple spotty silk neckerchief which I like to sport on occasion.I think I look quite the DANDY when wearing it:cool:
Have you thought about growing a fine handlebar moustache? It would look well with the tweed/neckerchief/Cravat combo.
I grew a fine example,everybody hated it except me and eventually I bowed to family pressure (wife refused any loving action) and got rid.Now its gone they all miss it.
Have you thought about a nice GENTLEMANS cane?

I also believe this thread should be in the DRESSED UP section!

Well, my current jacket (no longer plural- gave the other one to a friend who admired it) is certainly on the loud side. Hard to describe the exact colours, but it gets you noticed!

I already sport a goatee/moustache combo :laugh:
I could see myself with a nice cane, but I'm not sure I could justify it as I have no practical need of one (yet).

Yes, I thought about what section to post this in. By many people's standards a Tweed jacket would be dressing up, but technically its still considered casual wear.

Late twenties. Probably makes liking Tweed even more odd. Too bad, the world would be boring without odd people :D

Lynchy, I will get some pics for you soon.

You are member on a shaving forum, there is no turning back now. XD

I wear height pieces cap on a regular basis, I have a Failsworth made of herringbone Harris tweed and another made of plain tweed from Hannah Hats.

You are member on a shaving forum, there is no turning back now. XD

I wear height pieces cap on a regular basis, I have a Failsworth made of herringbone Harris tweed and another made of plain tweed from Hannah Hats.
Where do you buy your hats from @Maxime D?