Harsh edge

Using tape won't correct that - unless - you add extra tape in those mangled areas. Or spend an afternoon with calipers and hone the spine to the correct uniform profile width so if you need tape it is only complete pieces.

I spent this morning killing and resetting the bevel on my problematic blade 3 times and now it is ready for a face test tonight. I cannot see a reason why but I did all the finishing with oil on my Coticule in case there was an issue with this particular blade and a Jnat. I don't think so but who knows.

You have misunderstood me but doesn't matter. Glad you got it sorted unfortunately we are still speculating as to the reason.

Plus 1 to kill the edge and start fresh, I have done this using a piece of horn before and seems to knock the serrations out of it and smoothed it back out, have also seen Mastro Livi do a similar thing with his new razors when first setting the bevel and honing but I see he only goes to a lower grit (3k) if I remember right then goes to the pasted strop

Just resurrecting this thread.

I put the Broken Hill Bengall back on the 8k and 13k the other week, and did a really light-handed hone. I would say that it is now sharper than the Wester, and that takes some doing.

It is slicing through week-long growth without even a single tug. Last night it also sliced it's way through a good section of skin just under, and to the left of my left nostril. D'oh the pain, the pain of it all! The aftershave certainly made that spot come alive!

But I will +1 to a brittle edge. After getting down to more malleable steel, the edge really stepped up to a new level.

I had a vintage Boker that was doing the same thing to me - scary sharp, but soooo uncomfortable.
I eventually solved the problem by finishing on a Thuringian - still as sharp, but really smooth.
Why - I have blind elk (no eye deer)

Late to the party but interested and interesting.

Things can look superb under the scope but feel shit on the face. This has happened more times than I care to remember. The common denominator is the bevel. The scope just don't see this. A HHT with a picture-perfect edge might suggest you naild it. But the face knows best. Mate I'd suggest back to the 1k - or 5k if you're a masochist - and work that bevel again.

Has worked for me. I revisit the bevel a second or third time and even just a few strokes and BAM. It all falls into place. A top polish (JNat or Coticule metal depending) just adds cream to the cake.