Have an itch that needs scratching. 1966 birth year razor and Rockwell 6s vs Merkur 39c

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hi all, I was using various blades in the Sledgehammer and getting bored when @eggbert introduced me to Aussie Gillette Spoilers and I realised there is still more to shaving. I am now keen to have the most efficient and smooth shave I can get every time. I had stopped rotating razors and settled on the 39c as favourite when @astinus4 and another enabler :) got me interested in the Rockwell 6. I could have bought a 6s on eBay for $95 last week but procrastinated too much, so not ready yet. I thought I would dust off the 34c and try it with the Spoilers. (its back in my cabinet as a nice display item). I am still not sold on the Rockwell 6 because it would have to be better than 39c or it will become another display item. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else that has gone from a 39c to Rockwell 6. I love the 39c and dont think I have ever nicked myself with it, although I get a good smooth shave after one pass and it cuts through the weekends stubble with ease. It does seem to blunt blades quicker and a standard DE razor.

On another note, I am definitely getting myself a birth year razor and have seen some good reviews of the 1966 Gillette Slim, Super Speed or Aristocrat although have avoided both adjustable and butterfly razors from bad experiences with really cheap no name brands in my earlier years and memory of my fathers razors. I know a few other members share the same birthyear. What razor do you recommend and does anyone have a decent one for sale? Have seen from $60 - $100 on ebay shipped to Aus.

Thx @Holiday

Hey mate, I'm a L 1 and started my little collection off the back of a SuperSpeed but would recommend a Slim as a great razor. You might have seen another thread about the Aristocrat I got for my son but that is really just a gold plated Slim and harder to maintain!

+1 for the Slim, shaves great :) . I loaned my 1967 Slim to my son and never got it back :facepalm: . I had to replace it, ended up with a mint 1962 Slim. Scored it from a deceased estate auction for around $40.00.

I never owned a 39c but can say the Rockwell 6S shaves very smooth and efficient and is highly regarded in the shaving community.

Good luck. (y)

I don't have a 39C but i do have a 37C and can say it is a very nice razor to use, albeit a touch light (but lighter than the 39C of course). I've also got a 6S which up until a few weeks ago i used daily.
The rockwell is a breeze to use with very little fear of cutting one's face up, even on the higher plates. For me, i found using plate 2 provided an easy and comfortable shave and up to plate 5 was fine also, which was probably more similar to the slant in my opinion.

The rockwell's are popular and probably for very good reason. If you were to pick one up and not get the best shaves you are after, i'm sure it would sell easily on the BST thread for a small loss.

Hi all, I was using various blades in the Sledgehammer and getting bored when @eggbert introduced me to Aussie Gillette Spoilers and I realised there is still more to shaving. I am now keen to have the most efficient and smooth shave I can get every time. I had stopped rotating razors and settled on the 39c as favourite when @astinus4 and another enabler :) got me interested in the Rockwell 6. I could have bought a 6s on eBay for $95 last week but procrastinated too much, so not ready yet. I thought I would dust off the 34c and try it with the Spoilers. (its back in my cabinet as a nice display item). I am still not sold on the Rockwell 6 because it would have to be better than 39c or it will become another display item. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else that has gone from a 39c to Rockwell 6. I love the 39c and dont think I have ever nicked myself with it, although I get a good smooth shave after one pass and it cuts through the weekends stubble with ease. It does seem to blunt blades quicker and a standard DE razor.

On another note, I am definitely getting myself a birth year razor and have seen some good reviews of the 1966 Gillette Slim, Super Speed or Aristocrat although have avoided both adjustable and butterfly razors from bad experiences with really cheap no name brands in my earlier years and memory of my fathers razors. I know a few other members share the same birthyear. What razor do you recommend and does anyone have a decent one for sale? Have seen from $60 - $100 on ebay shipped to Aus.

Thx @Holiday

Jeff if the 6s is still a bridge too far, another option is the 6c at almost half the price....From what I've read it's an identical shaving experience, just not finished in Stainless steel.

Jeff if the 6s is still a bridge too far, another option is the 6c at almost half the price....From what I've read it's an identical shaving experience, just not finished in Stainless steel.

I have owned both and yes, they shave the same.

Thanks Francis, I am also thinking of longevity. Maybe a false assumption but I assume stainless will outlast electroplating. Having said that I have also heard the chrome being a shinier polished finish is smoother and glides a little better.

Thanks Francis, I am also thinking of longevity. Maybe a false assumption but I assume stainless will outlast electroplating. Having said that I have also heard the chrome being a shinier polished finish is smoother and glides a little better.
There are beautiful and wonderful razors out there. Unfortunately if a zinc alloy and once it is pitted or damaged the alloy will start to decay. Modern zinc alloys are far superior to older generations which once pitted eat out in a couple of years when used. The latest alloys will be a decade.
I have a hundred year old steel DE razor and as good as it was new. I have a zinc alloy Pal razor from the 50s and nearly useless as the top cap thread has degraded.
Buy a heirloom steel razor or choose to buy a one generation razor. Still a good choice for either but if you want to past it on there is only one choice.
The 6C to me is the winner here. Cheaper and if you don't like it you can sell it with a small loss.
Later on invest big when you know what you like. This is why it is called the rabbit hole.

Hard to go wrong with a Slim or Fatboy...but...for even less dollars you could get a lovely NEW SC (or LC).
Now that would be all the razor you ever really need. There now, I've just saved you a bunch of money. Too easy.
For about $50 - $60 you can get a really nice condition NEW and that could easily last you for another 50 - 60 years.
That's only $1 a year cost, plus then it will be worth some astronomical price because all razors will be made of bio-degradable plastic by then, but you Sir will have a real manly, staunch razor to pass on to your kin.
I'm so pleased I could help with your decision.

Thanks @Blackie, forgive my ignorance are you referring to 1930's Gillette NEW Short Comb (SC) and Long Comb (LC)?

I do have a 1930's Long Comb Ball End Gillette. Made in Canada. Diamond Logo. No Serial Number. If this had been my first and only razor I would have been happy with it but IMHO it doesn't compare to the Sledgehammer for efficiency and more of a nostalgic piece. Looks good in my display cabinet and definitely will be handed down to Kin.

Thank you all for your assistance and advice. I ended up purchasing the Rockwell 6s from Ministry of Shave pre-order at 20% off and just got a nice 1966 Gillette Slim L1 on eBay as well as a few other bargains that were too good to pass up. I'll work out how to post photos once I get over my social media phobia and distrust of all things internet based :) .

I'm putting myself on a self imposed sabbatical until I have sneaked these past SWMBO. Bring on the charity auctions!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gillett...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/450915

Thank you all for your assistance and advice. I ended up purchasing the Rockwell 6s from Ministry of Shave pre-order at 20% off and just got a nice 1966 Gillette Slim L1 on eBay as well as a few other bargains that were too good to pass up. I'll work out how to post photos once I get over my social media phobia and distrust of all things internet based :) .

I'm putting myself on a self imposed sabbatical until I have sneaked these past SWMBO. Bring on the charity auctions!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gillette-Slim-Adjustable-Vintage-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-1966-L1-NICE/254203205507?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/450915
Well done you, got two fantastic razors for a great price. Lovely work and timing (y)

Both of them should out live you too as solid units.