Haven't started yet.

jono

Hi everyone, I'm Jono. I'm completely new to the scene, but pretty eager to get started.

Whether you are using double edge (DE or safety) razors or straight (or cut-throat) razors
Cartridge. Pretty excited to move away from these.

What soaps / creams / aftershaves you have and/or like
Just water (don't hate me!) - but I'm looking to actually take more care of my skin now.

How long you have been wet shaving
Completely new to it, but have been watching so many videos.

Where you are in the world, more or less, exact GPS co-ordinates are NOT required (we have members from across Australia and the world)
Melbourne, Victoria. Based in the western suburbs, so if anyone can recommend a local honer, please let me know.

Why you started and how you have found the process so far.
I've always been interested in straight edge shaving, but was always quite nervous about it. That said, I'm feeling much more confident now (I think WFH means I don't need to worry about how long it takes me to get ready), and I'm quite eager to get started.

A little bit more information:
I've been looking at good starter shaving sets/kits, but I'm a little unsure what to look for. I tried to find a beginner's guide here, but my search results yielded nothing - if anyone can find one, please help me. I've been looking at the GD ones, but I'm not entirely convinced. The kit from beardandblade has caught my eye, and it's around $240 after the Christmas discount. Would anyone recommend anything else?

welcome @jono, enjoy your stay..

sorry cant help you with Straights.. but any questions regarding soaps/aftershave and DE shaving happy I am to help

G’day @jono
Welcome aboard mate,
Any questions don’t hesitate asking,
I do have a few vintage str8s on my site but a lot more not on it,
if you want a str8 beginner set we can arrange some options and all will be truely shave ready and tested when sent.
I do restore vintage str8s and make complete custom Str8s, Brushes & Strops
E: dcblades@bigpond.com

if you buy a new str8 from nearly any big shop, Dovo, Thiers Issard etc you will still need to get it honed as a factory edge is not a face friendly edge, and will get most put off from shaving with them,
a truely shave ready edge will take a factory face grater to a smooth comfortable shaving experience

I am 1 of very few in Aus who hone str8s for others, so you count that into your budget when buy from the big guys.

either way take your time and enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole
cheers Dion

Welcome to P&C @jono - great to have you here (y)

While not a straight shaver myself, I 100% agree with Dion (@Substance) - new straights from the big stores are not shave ready and need to be honed in order to give you a good shave - it doesn't matter if you buy a 10$ Gold Dollar or a 1000$ museum piece.

From my experience honing and stropping is what put a lot of people of straight shaving as it is quiet a steep learning curve and adds to the challenges for new straight shavers - so if you choose to got down that route, please talk and listen to experienced straight shavers and honers like @Substance ;)

Another piece of advice would be, to start working on your lather and map your beard grain, before you make the change. This will be definitely beneficial for you - even if you stick to carts (yikes) or change to DE razor and/or to straights.

It is always challenging to deal with many new things at once ;)

Welcome aboard @jono! You've chosen a long road with straights, but there are plenty of people with good advice around here. Good luck, and enjoy. :)

Welcome @jono I have been straight shaving for 22 years and have loved every moment, my son started this year. I find the starter kits are often over priced for what they offer. Go to Woolies and buy the Jack the Barber shave cream tub ($10 if not on special - I got mine for $6) and the synthetic Jack the Barber bush ($10 if not on special - again I got it for $6). Start by wet shaving with a cart if you need to, learning how to make a good lather and use a brush. If you can't or don't like it, you only spent $20 so no loss.

I bought for my son a 'Comoys of London' straight from an Australian retailer (Comoys, which I can no longer see on line??). It's a Chinese razor probably made at the Gold Dollar factory for $30 (I got mine for $15 when there was a clearance sale). They come with a rubbish edge and you must hone it to not get a cheese grater effect, but once honed they are a great way to see if this is for you. If not, you only blew ~$30 so no big deal. I shave with modern razors, in particular Thiers Issard (TI) as I like the aesthetic but Dovo are a solid brand (now gone bust).

If I was to buy a new straight and avoid the Chinese line, I'd go TI or Dovo. I hear reports from people saying quality is suspect (I looking at you Substance) but have never experienced this issue; mind you Substance may have a sample size more than my 3 TIs :D. If you buy a quality razor it will last decades (I still use my first razor, it's a German made razor) so price works out quite well.

You will need a strop to keep the edge, and as a newbie you will nick and cut it through concentration lapses. Usual advice is by a cheap strop to practice on, then once a year or so in, buy a quality piece. Again, I'm still using my Australian made strop 22 years later. I got my son a Frank Shaving extra wide strop for ~$50 so he can learn.

For a reasonable price you can set yourself up when buying the pieces rather than a kit. Spend the most money on a good razor, then the strop, then the brush, and finally the cream. You can also try Gumtree or eBay for razors, but it's best if you know what you are doing and how to fix them; I have picked some real bargains off the bay. I have made purchases off Beard and Blade and had no issues with them. If I were you I'd be more interested in the Ralph Aust despite it having a square point, he makes nice razors according to the Straight edge Community.

There are two Australian options. Collo77, a site member, makes them in Proserpine Qld, I have seen them but not read a review. He sells on eBay for a very reasonable price. Alternatively, see what Substance can do for you. He's Australian so delivery nonsense is eliminated (the problems I have had with Amazon!) and he sounds like he knows what he's doing. I have no affiliation with either gentleman, this is purely my opinion based on my experience.

I’m not saying they are suspect but have had quite a few, new “Dovo best quality” and Thiers Issards base models out of about a 100 new str8s honed, that have had warped bevels and high or sharp shoulder to heal transitions that all need work to correct, the rareity is a base model new factory str8 that does not have issues, could be junior grinders learning etc
where as the higher grade items have a lot cleaner Lines and finish to the blades, but then the scales can be clunky
e.g. like a Dovo mammut top of the line has a beautiful hollow ground blade and finish, but the metal lined mammoth scales are heavy and the torpedo shape is thick and clunky,
this is just my opinion and YMMV

Harts, Portland’s, Rigarasor, and a few of the better small makers straights have all had great geometry, some model scales can be questionable also lime earlier larger Harts

as mentioned don’t hesitate to ask, I can only comment on those brands I have honed, however have many brands run over my hones, from new & high end Maestro Livi’s, Damascus Bokers, RigaRazors, Harts, Portland’s, Dovo’s, Thiers Issards, Ralph Aust, Wacker and a multitude of vintages blades from every country to as early as pre 1770 stub tails
You would be lucky to find a bad vintage blade, as long the original gemoentry is intact without to much hone wear, scales are always replaceable if not in as good shape as the blade

cheers
D

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it.

welcome @jono, enjoy your stay..

sorry cant help you with Straights.. but any questions regarding soaps/aftershave and DE shaving happy I am to help

I've been wondering if there are any "absolute-no's" or "must-haves" for the ingredient lists that I should look for... Or with a slightly different take, what factors determine how willing you are to try a new soap/aftershave? I'm interested in what insights you have to share.

G’day @jono
Welcome aboard mate,
Any questions don’t hesitate asking,
I do have a few vintage str8s on my site but a lot more not on it,
if you want a str8 beginner set we can arrange some options and all will be truely shave ready and tested when sent.
I do restore vintage str8s and make complete custom Str8s, Brushes & Strops
E: dcblades@bigpond.com

if you buy a new str8 from nearly any big shop, Dovo, Thiers Issard etc you will still need to get it honed as a factory edge is not a face friendly edge, and will get most put off from shaving with them,
a truely shave ready edge will take a factory face grater to a smooth comfortable shaving experience

I am 1 of very few in Aus who hone str8s for others, so you count that into your budget when buy from the big guys.

either way take your time and enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole
cheers Dion

I was so caught up in Christmas events, that the starter kit I was looking to buy is now sold out. Pretty glad though, as that allows me to support the smaller businesses which I wasn't sure how to find to begin with. Google doesn't yield many results. Anyway, will be emailing you now. (y)

Also, happy holidays to everyone!

...I've been wondering if there are any "absolute-no's" or "must-haves" for the ingredient lists that I should look for... Or with a slightly different take, what factors determine how willing you are to try a new soap/aftershave? I'm interested in what insights you have to share...
I think the first (and only) rule is that there are no rules. (Other than that pineapple on pizza is evil. :p) I avoid any soap or scent with even the slightest hint of patchouli or ylang-ylang, since I loathe and despise them, while others have the same aversion to lavender, which I love. So start with what you think you might like, and go from there. Oh, and merry Christmas. :LOL: