Hello at last

Marzocco

I figure it's time to come out of Lurker's Corner. I've been spending quite some time looking and learning on Paste & Cut.

I'm in Sydney and have been wet shaving for most of my adult life, but until about 3 months ago mainly with a cartridge style razor. I did, however, buy a couple of Simpson brushes from Remo in Sydney back in the day when they were still in business and have used those ( a Chubby 1 and a Major both in Best) and a tub of Proraso Green seemingly for ever.

Then came the Road to Damascus moment and I thought I'd give DE razors a try. Talk about stuffing things up initially! I bought a Feather A2D2 and a packet of Feather blades. Even though I now know the Feather to be a mild razor I managed to cut myself to shreds and became quite disillusioned with the DE experiment. However I figured it had to be me making the mistakes so I started to read and explore the net to find out why mankind hadn't bled out due to DE razors.

Big mistake!! After a few months I now own a Gillette Fatboy, a Slim Adjustable, A Blue Tip, a Red Tip and even an Aristocrat President and I'm afraid to say I'm now delving into British Gillettes. It's a disease....but very enjoyable.

Of course my trusty old Proraso Green has been edged out of the cabinet by an array of Italian, English and French shaving soap, both hard and soft.......and don't start me on brushes! Our postman thinks I'm some sort of drug dealer due to the regular influx of small packages from very strange and far flung locales.

So - all in all I'm afraid I'm hooked. The thing I find funniest about the whole escapade so far though is that even though I almost bled out with my initial experience with my A2D2 and a Feather blade, after learning all I could crash course wise and buying quite an array of hardware, the old mild A2D2 with a Israeli Red Persona is giving me the best shave so far. I could have just stuck with it and saved myself a small fortune, but I don't regret any of it all, and I'm sure I'll keep experimenting.

Glad to be here!

Welcome @Marzocco !

Nice kit (although it is just a President not an Aristocrat President - although they are from the same 'family' or razors) and good to see you persisted :)

Welcome @Marzocco to P&C ... sounds like you've got a great assortment of soaps and razors ... whats your favourite soap and splash ?

Welcome @Marzocco !

Nice kit (although it is just a President not an Aristocrat President - although they are from the same 'family' or razors) and good to see you persisted :)

I'm pleased I persisted too, as it's opened up a fascinating world of equipment, knowledge and expertise from a bunch of very entertaining like minded people.

You made me think when you rightly and gently corrected me with "just a President". Gillette have produced such a range of superbly engineered machines in order to sell razor blades over the years. The range of what they have produced is amazing, the engineering superb. The appeal of these vintage razors is quite consuming, yet I have to admit, frustratingly, because I didn't want to acknowledge it, that I find the modern offerings like the Feather AS-D2, Charcoal Goods razors, some of the Mercurs, RazoRocks offerings, actually give me a more comfortable and closer shave. I hate to admit this, because I want to wallow in the nostalgia of Gillette and I know I'll continue to track them down and they'll be an important part of my daily shaving routine. But maybe modern metallurgy and engineering is edging ahead.

Welcome to P&C @Marzocco - great to have you here and some fantastic gear you have (y)

I'm pleased I persisted too, as it's opened up a fascinating world of equipment, knowledge and expertise from a bunch of very entertaining like minded people.

You made me think when you rightly and gently corrected me with "just a President". Gillette have produced such a range of superbly engineered machines in order to sell razor blades over the years. The range of what they have produced is amazing, the engineering superb. The appeal of these vintage razors is quite consuming, yet I have to admit, frustratingly, because I didn't want to acknowledge it, that I find the modern offerings like the Feather AS-D2, Charcoal Goods razors, some of the Mercurs, RazoRocks offerings, actually give me a more comfortable and closer shave. I hate to admit this, because I want to wallow in the nostalgia of Gillette and I know I'll continue to track them down and they'll be an important part of my daily shaving routine. But maybe modern metallurgy and engineering is edging ahead.
I'll agree that some modern offerings including cheapies like the futur clone make it easy to get a great shave however I find some vintage items to make it just as easy like my Parat and aristocrat jr, I can only hypothersise that perhaps it's the changing of the blades, modern blades for modern razors being more suited togeather perhaps?

Welcome to P&C @Marzocco - great to have you in the family with us! Any idea yet how many rooms you'll need to add onto your house to accommodate your new passion? From the sound of your initial posts, it looks like you'll need a minimum of 3 double rooms! ;):happy::)

Hmmm, maybe. I'm still a little partial to the vintage Gillettes myself :)