Hello from Bangkok

Chris R

I'm an Australian working in SE Asia and currently living in downtown Bangkok. Returned to brush and DE blade shaving because of the high cost of multiple blade replacement cartridges. This is my first foray into shaving forums. I have amassed a bevy of brushes and razors, not to mention soaps and creams.
Look forward to being a member and juming in with constructive comments from time to time.

Great to hear from you Chris and welcome! Love Bangkok, one of my all time favourite cities to visit. Please tell us more about your shaving rituals and the gear you use...vintage or stainless steel, badger or boar? What's your favourite soap?

Hi there Chris! Welcome. I hope you find being a part of a shaving forum helpful. Just make careful note of how much you will now spend from now on...

Hi there Chris! Welcome. I hope you find being a part of a shaving forum helpful. Just make careful note of how much you will now spend from now on...
Thanks for the welcome. If you mean take careful note of how much I spend on more shaving stuff then I have to confess my shaving cabinet is near maximum capacity. To be honest I really don't need any more "hardware" and have enough consumables to last well past their use by date. But you know how things go with the DE shaving addiction. Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome. If you mean take careful note of how much I spend on more shaving stuff then I have to confess my shaving cabinet is near maximum capacity. To be honest I really don't need any more "hardware" and have enough consumables to last well past their use by date. But you know how things go with the DE shaving addiction. Cheers.
Oh we know alright! Maximum capacity just means it's time to fill up another cupboard. Or swap out and welcome in...

What shaving products do you recommend for purchasing locally (ie Bangkok)?

Great to hear from you Chris and welcome! Love Bangkok, one of my all time favourite cities to visit. Please tell us more about your shaving rituals and the gear you use...vintage or stainless steel, badger or boar? What's your favourite soap?
Many thanks for your welcome words. Get stuck in the traffic as often as I do and your love for Bangkok may wane somewhat.

I have Merkur Vision and Futur razors, but my go to favourite is a Mergress aka Progress. Do like the Muhle razors as well. Blades - number is one
the Russian made Iridium, of which I have several years supply; equally I also favour Schicks which I was able to source through a Japanese friend's father who happens to have an old style barber saloon in Japan. Alas the Schicks were expensive and are no longer available. I do have a small stash though.

I have enough bruhes to rotate one each shave for a week. Favourites - Simpsons M7s and my go to favourite is the Simpsons Colonel. All the brushes are badger of varying grades and quality.

As for soaps etc I like Trumpers and Tobbs. We do now have a Truefill and Hill shop here in Bangkok but it would be cheaper to go to Singapore for a bulk
purchase. I also use a small nob of cream with the soap to make a thicker lather - works in my situation and water quality.

In a nut shell that's it. Thanks again for the welcome and cheerio.

Oh we know alright! Maximum capacity just means it's time to fill up another cupboard. Or swap out and welcome in...

What shaving products do you recommend for purchasing locally (ie Bangkok)?
I make all my shaving purchases online. Until last year there was practically little available locally. Thai men aren't endowed with the same facial hair as us Westerners. There is a new Truefitt and Hill shop in the Central Embassy shopping complex. You'd need to pawn the wife and kids to shop there. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome mate.

If you can afford the shipping, I highly recommend Shaver Heaven soaps. Great Aussie quality - as good as anything you'll get in the world. I just got their barbershop and enjoy it.

Welcome mate.

If you can afford the shipping, I highly recommend Shaver Heaven soaps. Great Aussie quality - as good as anything you'll get in the world. I just got their barbershop and enjoy it.
Thanks for information. I have seen several reviews of Shaver Heaven soaps and am sorely tempted. You are right re the shipping costs from Oz. Much more than from the UK. I visit Adelaide about once a year and get my local supplies whilst there, thus avoiding OS shipping. Cheers.

Welcome Chris R, I am new around here but the others make you feel very welcome.

Welcome Chris. How I miss the beautiful beaches of Thailand, especially Koh Chang and Krabi. Don't get me started on the wonderful food!

Nice to have you in our group.

Thanks for information. I have seen several reviews of Shaver Heaven soaps and am sorely tempted. You are right re the shipping costs from Oz. Much more than from the UK. I visit Adelaide about once a year and get my local supplies whilst there, thus avoiding OS shipping. Cheers.

You can buy Shaver Heaven from the UK and US as well, so perhaps that's a better way to get it...

Welcome Chris. How I miss the beautiful beaches of Thailand, especially Koh Chang and Krabi. Don't get me started on the wonderful food!

Nice to have you in our group.
Thanks for the welcome. It is dead easy to make/cook/prepare Thai food. The best Thai food is home made. Get a cook book, fresh ingredients, a few small bottles of different Thai sauces and have a go. A lot can be cooked on the good old Aussie BBQ. Cheers.

Reactions: MrT
Hello and thanks for the links. Alas Shaver Heaven does not ship to Bangkok. The UK might be the answer.
Oh really? Hmmmm... @Anthony any reason you couldn't help a fellow member out ;)
....otherwise there might be a chance of one of us extending ourselves mate - though you'd have the additional expense of Anthony shipping to us and then onward.