Hello from East Arnhem

Errol

Razor Review Guru
At the ripe old age of 17 I joined the Australian Army. Amongst the initial issues of equipment was a Gillette butterfly razor. For the next 40 plus years I shaved just about every day with that razor. Pressure pack shave cream and blunt blade. Actually I took pride in being able to get a couple of months out of a blade. Army issue of course. Could never work out why the new blade only felt good for a couple of days then it was back to scratching.

Sons started shaving and they tried electric razors. Dad tried the electric razor also but gave up after trying a couple of different ones with what could only be described as a poor shave. Felt fair when first done but the stubble was back in about three hours. Next was those multi blade cartridge things; three, four and five blade. Try getting two months out of one of those!

We have these most annoying ads on TV for just about every household item imaginable. One thing that they were flogging off was a single blade razor, and this got me thinking again. On principal I would not buy from this mob but the seed was planted again. I happened to be having a haircut and saw a display of razors. There was this nice looking razor with a bone handle that took my eye. Turned out to be a Muhle Sophist. Good choice as it was so mild and done a perfect job. The blades got blunt after only five shaves though. I must be getting old and soft now throwing the blade out after only two shaves.

As for brush and soap it's a Mondial SilverTip Badger and Mondial Line and Lavender soap. My list of razors now includes the Feather WS-D1 and AS-D2, a couple of Ikon's, AAT with five differen head options and three handle options, Weber. Waiting on the arrival of a Pils and Oristo. Was lucky enough to be able to order the Paradigm titanium razor when they were available. The offshoot of living remote is that it will take a month to get here, two weeks to go, but who's counting.

That's me. Look forward to the experience.

Welcome @Errol to P&C!
Great collection already and introduction. Lovely choice in razors also. Would love to see a Aussie review of the latest additions to your den.

At the ripe old age of 17 I joined the Australian Army. Amongst the initial issues of equipment was a Gillette butterfly razor. For the next 40 plus years I shaved just about every day with that razor. Pressure pack shave cream and blunt blade. Actually I took pride in being able to get a couple of months out of a blade. Army issue of course. Could never work out why the new blade only felt good for a couple of days then it was back to scratching.

Sons started shaving and they tried electric razors. Dad tried the electric razor also but gave up after trying a couple of different ones with what could only be described as a poor shave. Felt fair when first done but the stubble was back in about three hours. Next was those multi blade cartridge things; three, four and five blade. Try getting two months out of one of those!

We have these most annoying ads on TV for just about every household item imaginable. One thing that they were flogging off was a single blade razor, and this got me thinking again. On principal I would not buy from this mob but the seed was planted again. I happened to be having a haircut and saw a display of razors. There was this nice looking razor with a bone handle that took my eye. Turned out to be a Muhle Sophist. Good choice as it was so mild and done a perfect job. The blades got blunt after only five shaves though. I must be getting old and soft now throwing the blade out after only two shaves.

As for brush and soap it's a Mondial SilverTip Badger and Mondial Line and Lavender soap. My list of razors now includes the Feather WS-D1 and AS-D2, a couple of Ikon's, AAT with five differen head options and three handle options, Weber. Waiting on the arrival of a Pils and Oristo. Was lucky enough to be able to order the Paradigm titanium razor when they were available. The offshoot of living remote is that it will take a month to get here, two weeks to go, but who's counting.

That's me. Look forward to the experience.

G'day Errol,
You were lucky, mate! When I joined the Army in the early sixties, we were issued aluminium handled Gillette 3 piece razors and issued two blue Gillette blades a fortnight, along with 2 cakes of Ivy soap. Making those blades last in the tropics was quite a chore! The blades and soap have long gone but I still have the razor.and use it every now and then. Trouble is, with over sixty razors now, I have trouble remembering which ones I have used lately! A bit different to sitting under the hoochie in a monsoon downpour using the last inch of coffee in a brown plastic Army mug and Ivy soap to shave with! Those were the days! I hope they treat our kids today with a bit more generosity! Thanks for your service and welcome to P & C!

Welcome @Errol and great first post mate!

welcome @Errol well they don't issue us razors anymore but I still deploy with either a superspeed or that aluminum handle 3 piece bleeders talking about.

welcome welcome welcome happy to have another servicemen here

Hi @Errol ,
Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing some photos of some of your lovely razors in the future hopefully. ;)

Welcome mate! Great first post and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Paradigm.

OK, I've resisted so far, but I cannot hold out any longer -

Sorry mate, I'm sure you are sick to death of this song but ...

Welcome to P&C @Errol - great to have you here (y)

You have some fantastic gear and I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on the Paradigm - maybe a comparison to the various ATT heads?

Welcome to P&C Errol ! Its a good crew here so feel free to contribute :jimlad: