Hello from Eastern Melbourne! :D

Hey guys, just came across you and decided to join in the fun and love wet shaving!
I'm 18 and have been wet shaving for the past 2 months my arsenal isn't anything insane, I'm unemployed and currently studying Civil Engineering and it's literally like a full time and eats up practically all my time but here's what I've got:

Razor: Merkur 33c
Blades (Currently using): Astra SP's
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Cream/Soap: Cella and Latha Sandalwood

Super keen to learn a lot about Wet shaving from you guys and surfing this forum
Lovely to know there is quite a community of wet shavers in Australia and happy to be a part of it now :D

mate welcome.

don't worry when I started I was about the same.
don't feel you need to have a million soaps or brushes or after shaves etc etc
I still don't and I'm happy as a pig in shit.

feel free to ask us all questions we're all here to help no one will give you a bum steer here.

but most of all have fun.

and welcome again

mate welcome.

don't worry when I started I was about the same.
don't feel you need to have a million soaps or brushes or after shaves etc etc
I still don't and I'm happy as a pig in shit.

feel free to ask us all questions we're all here to help no one will give you a bum steer here.

but most of all have fun.

and welcome again

I've noticed you use the aftershave balm from The Stray Whisker, been eyeing it myself and what are your thoughts on it? I currently use and Alum block, but I feel it's not doing a good job for some reason (maybe I'm using it wrong, i'm not sure) but yeah i've been meaning to purchase it. Also you're shaving soap I think is either a Crown King or a PAA was wondering if they're hard soaps otherwise could you comment on their longevity?
Sorry if I look like a creep, Waiting for my account to be manually approved I was lurking throughout this forum and noticed you posted in the SOTD hahaha also you live in Vanuatu? In my engineering course we're doing a project about Vanuatu and water filtration :)

Love your work man!

Last edited:
Welcome @TheShavingPariah ... Been a long time since I attended a Materials 101 class, and still hasn't been long enough :)

Crown King is a little softer than the Latha, however wouldn't say it's close to the Cella softness. You can dent it with your finger. Triple milled soaps like MWF (mitchells wool fat), tabac, saponificio varesino, will be the hardest and most long lasting. TSW balm is a good performer, however personally I think there are better cheaper balms (opinion only and subjective).

Triple milled soaps like MWF (mitchells wool fat), tabac, saponificio varesino, will be the hardest and most long lasting.

Haha Materials, it's actually not to boring

In terms of performance of these triple milled soaps how do you think they compare to something like the Latha range? The latha range of soaps have been the best I've used out of the only 2 soaps I've ever used, Cella and the Latha Sandalwood, so I don't have much to compare anything with either than those two

Depends which triple milled soaps you're talking about. The 3 I mentioned are found regularly in top 5 soap lists on forums. Like anything though, different strokes for different folks :)

Do you have any more knowledge on other soaps/cream/brands that are triple milled/hard soaps? I've done some research on the 3 you've mentioned and they're quite out of my budget, was wondering if you knew other hard soaps around the <$30 price point?

Thanks for your help man!
Should be able to get refill pucks of tabac and MWF sub $30 easy mate. @SpeedyPC often knows the cheapest places. From memory, connaught shaving have very reasonable shipping and the pound to AUD rate is reasonable. Mitchell's appears slightly cheaper by a hair http://www.connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsrefill.html
You also have all the traditional English brands as well like DR Harris you can get from there (but I've never used it or TOBS in my time shaving). Lea balm is available from connaughts and is quite good.

If I don't have the tub that the non-refill version comes with, anyway I can put the refill pucks of either the tabac of MWF shaving soaps somewhere/in?
How fancy do you want to be :) You can get something like this from Ikea, or just a cheap plastic thing from Coles/Woolies or a $2 shop. Will post a pic of my cheapy in a sec.

fe5f5d094e3da99a01b0ad88582cd467.jpg

Does it matter if the refill puck moves around in one of those tin tubs as I'm lathering it? Or is there a way to make it not move, (Could I melt it down and let it set in one of these tubs?) Thanks for your reply man!
You can use a grater and press it into the container. I'd advise against melting :) The plastic container I have my MWF in is so tight it doesn't move anyway.

Does it matter if the refill puck moves around in one of those tin tubs as I'm lathering it? Or is there a way to make it not move, (Could I melt it down and let it set in one of these tubs?) Thanks for your reply man!
Yes it makes lathering up a pain...

Soft(er) sopas: just press them in
Hard(er) soaps: use a fine (cheese) grater and then press them in