Hello from Perth, WA

Gimli

G'day,

For the past 5 years I have been growing a beard and this year I will be doing Worlds Greatest Shave. It's been cool having the beard but miss having a clean shaven face

A few years ago I received a heirloom straight razor from my Pop which got me interested in the idea of a more sustainable way of shaving should I ever decide to remove my beard! In that time I have collected over 20 "vintage" straights, mostly from English makers but a few German straights also. Eventually I'll put up some photos of these in the traditional shaving section

I've ordered some soaps/creams - Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream and Australian Private Reserve Fenchurch soap, a Muhle shaving bowl and a Vulfix Old Original Super Badger brush. Yet to get any aftershave but I do have fond childhood memories of my Grandad using Brut. Quite a potent scent from memory! I purchased the TOBS one because I have a small Sandalwood plantation (Santalum spicatum - WA Sandalwood) here in the wheatbelt which will hopefully yield some oil in the next 8-10 years. Pretty sure TOBS uses a different but directly related sandalwood. Cool nonetheless

Some of my other hobbies include homebrew (cider, meads) and beekeeping. I hope to attend a WA meet in the near future

Thanks

Welcome to P&C @Gimli - great to have you here (y)

Welcome @Gimli, I am about to break into str8s with great caution.
You have some appealing hobbies there, are you aiming for self sufficient living?

Welcome to the forum @Gimli .what meads do you make? My favourite that I've made is a straight orange blossom semi sweet mead with71b. I split some off with d47 but just can't find any love for that yeast it just seems to blow off to much flavour for my liking.

Welcome to the forum @Gimli .what meads do you make? My favourite that I've made is a straight orange blossom semi sweet mead with71b. I split some off with d47 but just can't find any love for that yeast it just seems to blow off to much flavour for my liking.

Done a few traditional meads of just honey, water and yeast. Recently did a viking blood style with cherries and am currently doing a melomel (using blueberries as the main fruit)

Always using champagne yeasts, forgotten which. Good temp range and has a high alcohol tolerance. Viking blood one came out to 14%. Bit too sweet for my liking though