Hello from Perth Western Australia

Trapezoid

Hello

A couple of posters over at whirlpool.net.au directed me here.

I am completely new to DE safety razors. The choice was made for environmental and minimising plastic reasons as my previous razor, a Gillette Sensor3, gave me perfect results and had no other reason to change. Bought a Wahl safety razor from the local shaver shop here in Perth, WA. Got a pack of Wilkinson Classic and Feather blades to go with it and a styptic pen. Skimped on the brush, bowl and cream due to budget. No point buying something only not to like it and be a few more dollars out.

However, even with canned cream, I enjoyed my first DE shave and will be getting the other accessories sooner rather than later. First shave was 2 days ago and second shave was today. The result is quite acceptable and better than expected even with my lack of skill. Granted there were nicks and blood (that styptic pen stings like a bitch!) but I will continue. Shaving now feels like an actual skill to be had and enjoyed as opposed to being a typical chore.

So far with these 2 shaves I have given myself a better shave on my head than my face. Better being less nicks, no redness, bumps or discomfort. I will be trying the feather blades in couple of days to see if it is my lack of skill or whether the Wilkinson blades don’t like my face.

Anyways thanks for reading
Daniel

Welcome @Trapezoid you have come to the right place!
You will find many answers in here but remember the saying YMMV (Your Milage May Vary) will always apply....
I'm not a head shaver but there are plenty of guys in here who are and will give tips i'm sure.
As far as getting a lather, 1000% you should invest in a brush and a decent soap. For a brush, i strongly believe a synthetic will suffice, and this can be something like a Yaqi tuxedo knot which are very popular and inexpensive. Forget the bowl as your face will be a great surface to work the lather onto, but if you must, a kitchen bowl or cheap plastic one from a $2 store would work fine.

Since you are in Perth, i believe @todras has his soaps available in-store somewhere so you can go and have a sniff and see what you like the smell of. I'm sure he or someone else can let you know where it is.

Enjoy the ride, and if you keep at it, you will naturally become much more proficient.

Welcome @Trapezoid , better you are warned early on, you have just stepped into a world with dozens of rabbit holes to get lost in. As with many of us in P&C, we made choices to step away from the plastic disposable razors and goo in a can for environmental and economic reasons. However the potential to get caught up in this as a hobby is real and any arguments for economic benefit may soon fade to oblivion. However, it is possible to stay disciplined and to choose some reliable kit which will serve you well for many years to come without spending a fortune. I am not one of these.:)
You will find many of us that report the move to DE's, SE's, and straight razors and the use of good quality shaving soaps has immediate benefits for your skin. Hope you find P&C helpful, enjoyable and informative.
I recommend you purchase a good brush (hasn't got to be expensive, and it's worth trying at least boar, badger and maybe synthetic) and try some good quality shave soaps, we have a number of artisan producers in Australia that make excellent shave soap.
And most of all, enjoy. As you've already alluded to, shaving can be transformed from a tedious chore to an enjoyable pastime.

Welcome mate!

There is a relatively active, and generous, Perth crowd here @Trapezoid who do meet up regularly. A worthwhile investment of your time if you can make it - samples and the opportunity to sniff and hold gear you haven't got.

A decent lather will provide protection that canned goo cannot do - it will be worth doing but you only need a brush and cream to start.

Ask questions, poke around and make yourself at home!

welcome @Trapezoid..

just a quick couple of tips for you..

1. feathers are amongst the sharpest and not the smoothest around so tread carefully when you start with these.. I use feathers from time to time so nothing wrong with them at all.

2. Try the polsilver blades.. these have the changed the game for me in a major way, quite sharp and extremely smooth. Just buy a sample pack, only $1.50 for 5 blades, free shipping and if you like stock up like i am

enjoy your stay ask away with any questions you have

Welcome @Trapezoid. I fell down this rabbit hole while trying to save money and environmental reasons. The reduction in plastic disposal is a success. The money saving will never be discussed or uttered in the presents of my wife.
I shave my head on occasion, mainly clipper but do enjoy a head shave.
If using the Feathers use it on your face first. Preferably with a few days growth. They are sharp but as stated previously not the smoothest blade.
Secondly, take your time and re-lather often.
Don't worry about your bowl, I still use a $4 soup mug.
Brushes are a personal thing. There a lot of relatively cheep, very good brushes out there. There is also some expensive but oh so glorious ones as well.
Soaps' as mentioned above grab some Proraso or order something from the likes of Face Fat, APR, Squadron or Abbie & Grace.
Would recommend you get a sampler pack of blades though. These are another personal thing that will make a huge difference to your shave.
There are quite a few very knowledgeable people on here that are more than happy to answer questions or share experiences.

Welcome @Trapezoid. Take on board the suggested path in the replies above but ask any question, someone will have done it or know someone who has.

Welcome to P&C @Trapezoid - great to have you here (y)

Welcome! Also from whirlpool ... resurrecting the classic shaving thread. And also new :)

Welcome @Trapezoid
Some really good advice above. Feathers are sharp. Ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on P&C. Join the local wet shaving members to sample products, share experiences and socialize.
Your kit doesn't have to be expensive but there are some basics required for a good shave. A decent brush, good quality soap (preferably Aussie made), razor and blade combo that work best for you. YMMV
Once hooked you have to be very disciplined to stay thrifty but jut think about how much you are saving compared to cartridges.

Thank you to all for the advice and feedback.

Today I went and had a look around for a blade sampler pack and found this - https://www.barbersuppliesco.com.au...e-edge-razor-blades-premium-safety-de-sampler . 100 blades, 13 brands. Surely one kind or another in there will be acceptable. Very likely will be my next 12 months supply.

I also went to the local shave supply shop for some soap and a brush cause I don’t have those and didn’t want to wait for delivery. Bought some Proraso White. I’ve always used sensitive cream or gel with my previous razor. I didn’t see any point in bucking the trend now. While getting some milk at Woolies I bought the “Shave” cream in the brown and mustard box just so I can compare with the Proraso. Played with both a few moments ago and the wife reckon the “Shave” one smells like her grand father. Proraso White is rather neutral in scent.

As to the brush the cheapest one at the store was a $50 badger brush. Yeah, nup. Went to the chemist next door and found a Windsor Boar brush for $8.50. Yeah I’m stingy I know. Haha. I don’t expect it to last long as I’ve already lost a few hairs out of it just playing with it. The lather coming out of the “Shave” and Proraso are a significant improvement from the canned goop.

Tommorow is shave day and I’m look forward to trying the Proraso.

Cheers
Daniel

If you're in Perth, try Guy's Grooming. Otherwise Beard&Blade or any of the other online forums (even Amazon) are a cheap source of blades. I go halfsies with a mate.

If you're in the CBD, the shave shop in the arcade is somewhat pricey but have a great range. If you've not used a hard soap before, then it does take a few goes to get right loading the brush and / or blooming it prior.

Welcome @Trapezoid -from a fellow WA head and face shaver.

If you're looking for a few good cheap supplies, Charlie's deli in Morley (https://goo.gl/maps/8L2r4uQXFMTX5CwW6) have a great selection of shaving gear, nice cheap Omega boar brushes, plenty of proraso etc. I use it now and again to stock up. Worth it if you dont want to wait for delivery and certainly for proraso stuff tends to be cheaper than all the online stores.

@Trapezoid welcome to the rabbit hole mate. That boar brush will almost definitely outlast your expectations and may still be getting better to use in 6 months. (Boars have a break in period). Enjoy the journey 😀

Posting here cause I wasn’t sure if it is appropriate to start a new thread simply for a shave report and question. No need to spam up the place I guess.

Today I used the Feather blades with my Wahl safety razor. What an improvement over the Wilkinson Classic blades. Significantly less redness, discomfort and nicks. I am certainly putting the improved experience down to the blade as this being my 3rd ever DE shave I doubt very much it would be my improved skill. Also I shaved on 3 days worth of growth instead of 2. I assume shaving on a less irritated face would result in less irritation if that makes sense. I’m quite sure if I had a shave tomorrow, regardless of blade brand, I would be in a world of suck.

Question: Something I noticed today that I hadn’t with the Wilkinson blades is that the Feather blades do not sit perfectly parallel with the safety bar. In addition one edge of the blade is slightly more exposed on one side of the head. Is this the tolerances of the blade or the razor head and would such positioning of the blade affect my shave?

Granted I took the time to loosen the head, readjust and tightened to get it sitting right. Took a couple of attempts but I eventually got it to sit in a manner that I found acceptable. I just don’t want to be fidgeting to get it right. I acknowledge its an extremely minor complaint in the larger scheme of things but I am curious as to your thoughts about it.

Sounds to me like poor tolerances in the Wahl razor.

The impact is likely to be minor but could have an impact.