Hello from Perth Western Australia

Yes, what @Mark1966 said.

I find most razors have *some* alignment issues. This is also exacerbated by different blade brands. Ie: There are so many variables, it's impossible to get every blade working in every razor without some jiggering.
Don't worry too much about it. Just check every time you put a new blade in and adjust as necessary.

Failure to adjust could cause cuts if the blade isn't straight.
If one side is more exposed that the other, the exposed side might feel more aggressive while the other will be milder.
Don't let any of these happen. Just make sure the blades are straight.

NOTE: Different razors use different methods to get the blade straight.

Also I shaved on 3 days worth of growth instead of 2. I assume shaving on a less irritated face would result in less irritation if that makes sense. I’m quite sure if I had a shave tomorrow, regardless of blade brand, I would
I shave no more than once every two days. My skin just gets too irritated.

Welcome to P&C @Trapezoid from a fellow Sandgroper. As General 66 states above, we have meet-ups here in west from time to time - they are always good fun and a great way to learn about the wonderful world of wet shaving., and you will invariably find members generous with advice, samples, and PIFs.
My old mate @RazorPlay still dreams about the Creed Green Irish Tweed he turned down at a most reasonable price at the last meet ;).

Hello again

Shave reports, update and questions. I’m not sure if these are appropriate. The Welcome mat isn’t exactly my personal blog spot. I’ll post this for now but please advise.

Saturday (08/06/2019) was shave day. Tried a new product. The King of Shaves Shave Oil. Yeah sure it says Shave Oil on the container but I used it as a pre shave under the lather. Saturday has been the best shave yet. Saturday I also tried 2 passes instead of 3. North to South then South to North. 95% of my face was glass. Gonna keep this method going.

Monday (10/06/2019) was an experiment. I used the same Feather blade from Saturday for today. Same prep and methodology. More nicks and redness than on Saturday. I am reasoning that my beard is thick enough for a blade to be considered dead after a single use. Having said that the same blade ploughed through my head hair without issue. It could also be the affirmation of my research that once a blade hits head hair its dead.

Today (13/10/2019) was testing with a new blade – Derby Extra. I quite liked these. They feel less harsh than the Feather and my face feels better for it. The styptic pen even stung less. Though I thought Saturday has been my best effort today was better again. Maybe skill and care levels are improving? I will be keeping this blade for my next shave. If the next shave is inferior I will be concluding blades are a single use item for me.

An update to my previous post. It is the Feather blades that have the looser tolerances in relation to my Wahl razor. The wife was curious as to what a DE razor felt like and asked me to shave her legs. Okay cool I’ll use the Wilkinson blades for that and what did I discover? The blade reveal was perfect as was the Derby. She was impressed with the result too.

Question time.

1. How long does your typical shave routine take? I know shaving with a DE is not a race but I’d like to take some time off with my shave. Or is an improved time more a result of improved skill and experience?
2. Is it typical that a blade would only last a single use? I understand YMMV but so far the second shave as always been poorer than the first and isn’t congruent with all the things I’ve read about a blade lasting 3-5 shaves.
3. Do you share your equipment with your partner?

Cheers
Daniel

it usually takes me 10-15 minutes for a shave but i can knock over a single pass in 5 or take my time with the lather and prep and take 30 mins. it is a lot easier to get a quick shave with experience but will never be as quick as slappin on some goo and racing around with a cart.
blades can vary by brand with feathers lucky to make 3 full passes for me while a russian Gillette blade is usually good for 4-5 shaves before needing replacing but at its best for shaves 2 and 3. i have found for me at least that blades last longer with experience once you've really nailed technique .as much as i would love to share my shaving hobby with the missus but she wont even give a safety razor a chance for fear of cutting herself to ribbons no matter the assurances ive given her.one day maybe.

G'day @Trapezoid .

Q&A
1. How long does your typical shave routine take? I know shaving with a DE is not a race but I’d like to take some time off with my shave. Or is an improved time more a result of improved skill and experience?
My shaving routine usually takes me around 10-15min. Work on your technique. If you rush it you will most likely get a bad shave.

2. Is it typical that a blade would only last a single use? I understand YMMV but so far the second shave as always been poorer than the first and isn’t congruent with all the things I’ve read about a blade lasting 3-5 shaves.
I average 2-3 shaves per blade.

3. Do you share your equipment with your partner?
I have no issue with Mrs Nico using my gear but she was a little hesitant using a DE razor. I scored a Leaf razor for her and she absolutely loves it. No more disposable plastic razors in the household.