Hello from sunny Sydney

Itsonlyblood

Hi,
It's great to finally find an Australian Wet Shaving forum.
I have been wet shaving now for almost 12 months after using carts and electrics since I had facial hair to shave.
I hated shaving with carts, then I got an electric for my birthday, The one with the 3 circular cutters, It was ok to start, but then I hated that too. I then purchased a very high-end electric, a Braun 799. It was very very good but... I wear a goatie, how do I make the edges of it nice and clean and straight. That started my search.
First I found straights, they still scare me. Then I saw this funny looking metal thing that you put a Double Edge razor blade into. The rest is, as they say, history.
My previous hobbies have been alot more expensive i.e Golf, Electric bass guitar so the prices I see for wet shaving are considerably less and this is basically a necessity, it's a win/win.
First purchase was from Maggards, their 3 (at the time) combo pack of heads and an MR8 handle, the huge one. I dont know why the MR8, but it's very manly, no?
I also purchased an Ikon X3, because it looked cool and the slant intrigued me. I'll bore you the details of every purchase but at this moment in time I am somewhat of a Barrister and Mann "fanboy". I love the complexity of the scents and how they evolve during the shave. I have 8 of Will's soaps so far , a few splashes and an EDT.
Razors, I now probably use an ATT R1 the most but I have 2 Ikon Slants, an Ikon B1 Standard DLC, a Razorock Wunderbar, an Ikon Shavecraft Tech, an Ikon Shavecraft shortcomb, an ATT SE1, an Ikon El Jefe and an Ikon B1 Standard. Recently I have started lusting very hard for a BBS-1 but the price, aftermarket, is putting me off.
Brushes, I started with 2 Semogue Boars and a Maggards synthetic. My first Badger was a Saville Row 3824, which I loved bu it was a little too "Floopy" before I knew the phrase "backbone".
Then I found Badger and Blade, Youtube and B/S/T forums. I now have a Simpsons Chubby 2 in best, A Simpsons M7 Manchurian Butterscotch, A Simpsons Case in Best (for travel) and my favourite, A Chubby 2 Manchurian in Faux Italian Marble. I have a M&F/BSSW's brush somewhere along the production line and a Chubby 3 Manchurian Disco and Chubby 2 synthetic Faux Tortoise, somewhere in transit. Also waiting for a Colonial General in Brass.
Wow, thats enough rambling for now. Its great to be here. Looking forwards to absorbing knowledge.
Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:
Dave

Awesome intro - you will fit right in here!

Welcome mate :)

Welcome to the forum @Itsonlyblood :)

We have a Sydney meetup occurring next Saturday, you are welcome to come along, say hello and hang out for a couple of hours if you are free.

Details Here

Welcome to P&C @Itsonlyblood - great first post and fantastic gear (y)

@Snooze I have actually looked at vintage gillettes more than a few times, its just hard knowing what to look for and what is and isnt a good deal. Perhaps this forum will be of help. Im also not sure how big I want my collection to get, still testing the waters as far as what point certain people start to question things haha.

@Benjamin I currently have 8, so I will make a quick list
1, 2, 3 and 4 are almost totally interchangeable given my mood that day.
1. Seville
2. Night Music
3. Leviathan
4. Soapmakers Of Awesometown
5. Cheshire
6. Petrichor
7. Diamond
8. First Snow

Welcome Itsonlyblood - you've found a good Forum. Great kit you've accumulated - enjoy!

Welcome @Itsonlyblood . You've got an impressive kit!
I like to justify my expenditure by telling myself "It's *still* cheaper than buying disposable razors". (ie: The multi-blade Gillettes I used to use)
:D

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum!

Straights aren't at all scary, once you get past their nickname. And as @lerenau has said above, it gets a lot cheaper than cartridges, very quickly... unless, like the rest of us, you are a compulsive collector of things shavey.

Ask any questions, especially the obvious ones. That way I can interact, too!

@Arnold J Rimmer Hehe, yes i'm am certainly steaming head-on into compulsive collector territory. I stopped using the "saving money" excuse a few months back but it's a strange hobby we have. It's a necessity for some to shave, but WE just slide the dial to extreme and for the first time in my life I would actually say I love shaving.