Hello from Townsville

akjohno

Hello all, thanks for adding me to the forum! I have recently purchased a Dovo straight razor from my local Shaver Shop. I was so excited I thought I'd come home and try it out, not knowing anything about how to use it, needless to say there was not much cutting of whiskers but quite a lot of skin was sacrificed that night. I have since started to think my blade isn't sharp enough or honed properly OR stropped properly and of course I have no clue what to do. I am hoping to pick up tips, product suggestions and local contacts who could maybe help out with where I can get my razor shave ready etc.
Andrew

Welcome Andrew. You'll receive readily available excellent advice and view some outstanding buys on this website. Your learning curve starts here!
Although it may take some time, you will eventually settle on a brush, razor, blade and soap which best suits you. Be patient!
I've got a mate (we served together in ADF) who lives in Garbutt.

Last edited:
Welcome. Newbie myself but have spent a bit of time here and elsewhere reading. The straight would need a strop and most likely a hone.Depending on what model Dovo you have,a set of honing stones could be worth more than the razor.I know that @Substance has extensive knowledge on this subject,and may have some advice to help you.
Good bunch here and I am sure you will find this place a fount of knowledge.

Welcome to P&C @akjohno - great to have you here (y)

You certainly didn't make life easy for yourself...your razor is almost certainly not shave ready - it will need a hone...

I am sure you will get great tips from the straight shavers around here

..... there was not much cutting of whiskers but quite a lot of skin was sacrificed that night .....
Andrew

Paste&Cut Directive #1: Lacking a photo, it didn't happen!

Give us a "P"
Give us an "H"
Give us an "O"
Give us a "T"
Give us an "O"
And what do we have?
Give us a laugh :LOL: !

Apologies Andrew, the little voice in my head :troll: made me do it.

@akjohno welcome and as you have noticed the cheeky bastards are out already :)
Expect more of it :whistle:
Sorry to hear your first straight shave was a little messy. Plenty of boys hear to give you some great advice.

Welcome mate!

As others have said - a lower threshold to a good shave with a DE. You can always come back to straights.

@Mark does some honing for a reasonable cost and I think some other straight users can help too.

An initial hone to get the edge shave ready will be needed, then you will need to stop each (?) use to keep the edge keen.

I say all that as a DE shaver who has never ventured into straights!

The lather will be important too BTW - without a good lather that provides slip and protection it will not go well.

Married? Getting married? Well congrats but that will need a whole other thread for advice!

Gday Andrew
I would near guarantee that any str8 from the shaver shop is only a factory edge, and will need a hone or your shave will be hell,
Not sure if there are any lads in the Townsville area to get face to face advice from or a honing, hopefully if there is they will pipe up soon
I am in Gladstone QLD and I think Mark is in Sydney either way only a post away.
You will definately need a strop to maintain it also once honed
A correctly honed str8 will be night and day to the factory edge,
Don't feel bad mate my brother recently bought a wahl from a shave shop n Perth without seaking advice ( thought if little bro can do it he can hahahaha ) well he paid the price factory edge on what looked like a rebranded gold dollar that was absolute crap to put it nicely, that I reshaped and rescaled from being an RSO to a usable str8,
but when he came over in September i gave him a 1800's Bengall and one of my customs for Christmas he is hooked now LOL

Welcome good sir. You've come to the right place as P&C is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to shaving (y)

Welcome @akjohno . Yep, yep; My firstirst venture into real shaving was purchasing a DOVO. I bled much, shaved little. A long journey but very much worth it (says me who hasn't had a shave since the beginning of September and now sporting a full beard). Your new pride & joy needs honing. I can recommend @Mark . You may think, "No; not more money", but get your razor correctly honed so you know what a sharp razor "feels" and cuts like. After that, delve into honing. Mark can recommend stones and methods.

DO NOT turn back. The joy and self esteem you receive from mastering this o' so manly ritual is priceless.