Hello gents (Perth)

patchwork

Hello gents

I'm looking to start wet shaving since my electric razor is no longer shaving close enough and the charging is about to fail. The Rockwell 6S seems like the best bang for your money at the moment from all the reviews I've read on wicked_edge and youtube. I only shave once a week and would prefer something that will last. As for soaps and creams, I have no idea what to get.

Looking forward to this journey

Cheers!

Hey mate.

My advice start off with a merkur 23c razor it's a perfect for beginners And won't cost you an arm n a leg.
Soap try going into shaver shop n smelling a few to start with

Hi @patchwork and welcome.

Mate i think your bang on with the Rockwell. Yes it is around the $140 mark but your getting a stainless steel razor of quality and adjustability. Also i think any of the Proraso soaps with a razorock synthetic would be a good start. If i had my time as a beginner again that is what i would of started with. :)

Welcome to P&C @patchwork - great to have you here and I am sure the experts here will soon recommend more than enough great products (y)

Welcome @patchwork. The 6s would be a good choice. I would recommend a cheap synthetic brush, they perform well for the cost. For soap, Stirling are a good choice and do great sample size pucks so you can buy a few samples of different scent categories and work out what you like. The Stirling soap lathers very well so you shouldn't have any trouble there. For blades, a sample pack from the likes of tryablade will let you test out which blades work for you.

Welcome @patchwork ask anything and they shall answer, though not always to your liking. Mainly a bunch of Aussies on here and sacasim is thick like their breads :whistle:
Have been offended a hundred times but laughed as much too. :LOL:
So the advice train has started.
Before you go further and want everyone's ideal set-up you may impart a few things first to guide them.
Like, so you shave once a week because you have sensitive skin, thick bread or maybe as your alias suggests a light beard growth with patches (y)
I'm a hairy guy with sensitive skin and a very full face of facial hair that joins my neck so I should shave daily to look good at work.
That means my shaves, setup and advice will differ alot to others.
Now my advice. Quality razor speak for themselves and until you try a razor you'll never know. 6c is cheaper than a 6s. Second hand is always a great option.
Soaps scents are personal and as mentioned before, sniff them all! :woot:
Brushes... Meh.. I'm synthetic all the way. Many reasons why and there are endless options out there for all. Yagi and TurnNShave (esty) are great bang for buck. But then again you have premium badger which I'll never know.
Splashes and balm. No advice here. What works is what works.
Again welcome, you'll learn alot and teach us too. Just make sure you take the piss at the veterans as they love it :sneaky:

Last edited:
Welcome mate!

Hello gents

I'm looking to start wet shaving since my electric razor is no longer shaving close enough and the charging is about to fail. The Rockwell 6S seems like the best bang for your money at the moment from all the reviews I've read on wicked_edge and youtube. I only shave once a week and would prefer something that will last. As for soaps and creams, I have no idea what to get.

Looking forward to this journey

Cheers!

With the Rockwell there is no bang for buck, especially for a once a week shaver/beginner. I would never suggest anyone new to this jumps in for a premium price razor. You're paying for the all SS construction. It's purely an aesthetic thing. Plus, they're far heavier. They do not shave any better than the Merkurs already suggested, which are a third of the price.

A Merkur or Muhle/Jagger is a better approach, as it leaves far more cash for everything else. Like blades, soaps and a good Synth brush. They're objectively the best performers - people buy badger and boar for preference and feel.

With the Rockwell there is no bang for buck, especially for a once a week shaver/beginner. I would never suggest anyone new to this jumps in for a premium price razor. You're paying for the all SS construction. It's purely an aesthetic thing. Plus, they're far heavier. They do not shave any better than the Merkurs already suggested, which are a third of the price.

A Merkur or Muhle/Jagger is a better approach, as it leaves far more cash for everything else. Like blades, soaps and a good Synth brush. They're objectively the best performers - people buy badger and boar for preference and feel.

It's all in your perspective.
6C is six razors in one so you can step through the gauges and learn faster.

Nice deal going here, veterans lay off ;)

Actually wished I did this than suffered with one initially.

Last edited:
It's all in your perspective.
6C is six razors in one so you can step through the gauges and learn faster.

Nice deal going here, veterans lay off ;)

Actually wished I did this than suffered with one initially.

Couldn't disagree more. It's not about "perspective", by which you mean "opinion", it's about approaching it in a common sense way, to make it simple.

More options do not make people learn faster. Having too many options is a sure way to make learning slower, and make it seem like DE is a pain in the arse to use.

The first thing people should be learning is how to make a decent lather, and the basics of razor and blade control. These aren't hard, but it's quite a few things to get to grips with to begin with, and most first time DE shavers are also really nervous. Add more variables, like razor options, different blades, different soaps etc, and you get inconsistency.

Plus - the OP shaves once a week. His learning curve is already increased by less practice. I've always shaved daily during the week, as many do, so my learning time was much reduced by daily practice. Probably took me 3+ weeks to get a handle on everything. A lot longer to refine everything to the point where different gear makes little to no difference to the result I get.

Gizmos, adjustability and preferences are for when you've got your technique sorted.

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree more. It's not about "perspective", by which you mean "opinion", it's about approaching it in a common sense way, to make it simple.

More options do not make people learn faster. Having too many options is a sure way to make learning slower, and make it seem like DE is a pain in the arse to use.

The first thing people should be learning is how to make a decent lather, and the basics of razor and blade control. These aren't hard, but it's quite a few things to get to grips with to begin with, and most first time DE shavers are also really nervous. Add more variables, like razor options, different blades, different soaps etc, and you get inconsistency.

Plus - the OP shaves once a week. His learning curve is already increased by less practice. I've always shaved daily during the week, as many do, so my learning time was much reduced by daily practice. Probably took me 3+ weeks to get a handle on everything. A lot longer to refine everything to the point where different gear makes little to no difference to the result I get.

Gizmos, adjustability and preferences are for when you've got your technique sorted.
Agreed you don't want to be changing things up when learning.

In terms of the razors and investment, Merkur will run you between $50-60 ($59 from Beard and Blade for the 34c) and the Rockwell 6C (not S), will run you $89. The razor itself, even in chrome plated zamak (both merkur and rockwell 6C) will last years. Looking at worst case scenario, you drop an extra $30 and don't like it. Alternately, you keep for at least 3 years, the extra $30 equates to $0.20 per week for a razor that gives you much more room to grow. I wish I had gone for a progress/parker variant or rockwell type when I first started, but the 34c/DE89 are awesome razors as well.

The extra $50 for the 6S could be amortised over a much longer term, but that would be assuming you stick with it and enjoy it. The extra $50-80 for the 6S over the 6S/34c is a jump in price and depends what you can afford and are comfortable with. What I will say, wet shaving is like pringles. Once you pop, you can't stop. Don't get many people that turn up here and not stick with it.