Hello Hello!

AussieTanker

Hi Folks ...

I just signed up on here a while ago so thought that i would add a bit of background.

I recently decided to research using an "old style razor" after noticing one day that the cost of the replacement cartridges for my "modern" razor was almost as much as it cost me to buy the entire razor in the first place! Then i remembered that my Dad used a simple DE razor for most of his life so figured i may as well give that a go and see how it works out.

After a bit of "reading up" I'm now happily in the DE wet shave camp and doubt that i will ever go back to the modern cartridge razor again. I have even managed to convert my son who is also getting quite excited about the various aspects of wet shaving and really seems to appreciate the art and skill of the process along with the "pampering" nature of the experience. "Unfortunately" I also think he is fascinated at the multitude of "new and shiny things" that he can possibly talk his father into buying him! Maybe i will end up regretting my decision to 'convert" him!

To start the journey I signed up to a couple of shaving forums to improve my knowledge. While i have learnt heaps in a very short time I know that i have even more to learn!

To get started i bought myself a restored 1955 (my birth year) Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed DE razor that looks as good as i imagine it looked the day that it came out of the factory in 1955. I also picked up a big bunch of sample blades off Amazon Au. I started with the Derby Extra's because i read somewhere that they were reasonably "forgiving". I'm using a tub of TOBS St James Collection Luxury Shaving Creme, mainly because almost everything else that i looked at seemed to have a sandalwood scent and i have vague memories that sandalwood irritates my nose. I also purchased a small TOBS alum block & styptic stick as well as a Vikings Blades White Knight badger brush. I use Nivea "sensitive" post shave balm and while i have some Col Conk "pre shave oil" i can't actually tell if it makes any difference or whether it simply gets wiped off when i brush on the lather.

But I've decided to stick with those basics for a while until i find my feet and get more of a feel for what I'm doing. I do have 2 relatively inexpensive "modern" razors - a Viking Blades and a micro touch (from Amazon Au) but have never used them. In regards to razors i a really only interested in vintage Gillette and Enders speed razors. I am however on my 3rd shaving bowl and third brush / razor stand - i just can't seem to find the right ones!

One of the problems that i found with some of the other shaving forums was that while they might have tons of information they are very USA/Ca based and this can be frustrating at times. Anyway, a huge vote of thanks to a couple of members on another forum that quietly pointed out that there was an Aussie based forum called "Paste & Cut!

So here i am!

I'm looking forwards to continuing to learn heaps - and maybe even contribute a little one day! I am also very keen to get along to some of the "meet ups" once all this cv19 stuff has settled down. While I'm currently based in Sydney i am originally from Adelaide and intend to move back to Adelaide with my son early 2021.

For me, one of the most important aspects of the journey is being able to enjoy the sense of "pampering & luxury" that a wet shave brings each morning.

Stay well and hope to chat again soon.

Aussietanker

Welcome @AussieTanker - certainly a great introduction. Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful journey!

Another NSW fan..... Welcome to P&C @AussieTanker :happy:

LNgfOk7.gif

@Mark1966 what’s the P&C State of Origin score so far, for example, how many NSW wet shavers vs the QLD wet shavers. ;):smug:

I'm not sure - but what I am sure about is that shaving is the real winner.

Hi Folks ...

I just signed up on here a while ago so thought that i would add a bit of background.

I recently decided to research using an "old style razor" after noticing one day that the cost of the replacement cartridges for my "modern" razor was almost as much as it cost me to buy the entire razor in the first place! Then i remembered that my Dad used a simple DE razor for most of his life so figured i may as well give that a go and see how it works out.

After a bit of "reading up" I'm now happily in the DE wet shave camp and doubt that i will ever go back to the modern cartridge razor again. I have even managed to convert my son who is also getting quite excited about the various aspects of wet shaving and really seems to appreciate the art and skill of the process along with the "pampering" nature of the experience. "Unfortunately" I also think he is fascinated at the multitude of "new and shiny things" that he can possibly talk his father into buying him! Maybe i will end up regretting my decision to 'convert" him!

To start the journey I signed up to a couple of shaving forums to improve my knowledge. While i have learnt heaps in a very short time I know that i have even more to learn!

To get started i bought myself a restored 1955 (my birth year) Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed DE razor that looks as good as i imagine it looked the day that it came out of the factory in 1955. I also picked up a big bunch of sample blades off Amazon Au. I started with the Derby Extra's because i read somewhere that they were reasonably "forgiving". I'm using a tub of TOBS St James Collection Luxury Shaving Creme, mainly because almost everything else that i looked at seemed to have a sandalwood scent and i have vague memories that sandalwood irritates my nose. I also purchased a small TOBS alum block & styptic stick as well as a Vikings Blades White Knight badger brush. I use Nivea "sensitive" post shave balm and while i have some Col Conk "pre shave oil" i can't actually tell if it makes any difference or whether it simply gets wiped off when i brush on the lather.

But I've decided to stick with those basics for a while until i find my feet and get more of a feel for what I'm doing. I do have 2 relatively inexpensive "modern" razors - a Viking Blades and a micro touch (from Amazon Au) but have never used them. In regards to razors i a really only interested in vintage Gillette and Enders speed razors. I am however on my 3rd shaving bowl and third brush / razor stand - i just can't seem to find the right ones!

One of the problems that i found with some of the other shaving forums was that while they might have tons of information they are very USA/Ca based and this can be frustrating at times. Anyway, a huge vote of thanks to a couple of members on another forum that quietly pointed out that there was an Aussie based forum called "Paste & Cut!

So here i am!

I'm looking forwards to continuing to learn heaps - and maybe even contribute a little one day! I am also very keen to get along to some of the "meet ups" once all this cv19 stuff has settled down. While I'm currently based in Sydney i am originally from Adelaide and intend to move back to Adelaide with my son early 2021.

For me, one of the most important aspects of the journey is being able to enjoy the sense of "pampering & luxury" that a wet shave brings each morning.

Stay well and hope to chat again soon.

Aussietanker
Welcome to the rabbit hole

Welcome @AussieTanker!
I'm sure you have have heaps of questions. We've all been there.
Ask away and we shall be happy to help out where we can.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!
It's deep but cozy.

Another NSW fan.....

Actually I'm originally from SA, so really an "Aussie Rules" kind of guy ... you know... proper football! :)

it is a joyful ritual this DE shaving, and can be a very zen practice compared to the artless multi blade method. Enjoy the pampering!

I agree. For me, that's a big part of the process and an aspect that turns the daily shaving experience from a mindless chore to a part of the day that i really look forward too.

Welcome to the rabbit hole

I've already found that out. my credit card has a definite ache! And the problem is that i have discovered that there are multiple rabbit holes! ie razor rabbit holes, brush rabbit holes, soap & cream rabbit holes, aftershave balm rabbit holes etc etc

The number of possible rabbit holes seems almost endless!

I have had a few computer issues over te last day or so, so i have been a bit slow getting back to the thread - but i did want to say a huge thanks for the welcome guys.

Looking forward to learning as much as i can from all the experts and "old hands" on here over the next few months ... and maybe catching up with a few of you at one of the meet ups once we get over this cv19 thing.