Help picking a good DE for head shaving

Dustin L

I've been DE shaving for a few months now and am loving it.

I had been continuing to use a cart on my head up until a few weeks ago when I started using my DE on my head as well.

I currently have a Merkur 34C and it works but as I only shave every 2 or 3 days sometimes it seems like it struggles a bit. I am thinking there may be other razors that would be better suited to head shaves.

I haven't had any problems with irritation on my even though I have been a lot more aggressive in trying to get a BBS than I am on my face.

I've also been using mainly Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blue but am thinking I might pop in a Feather and see how that fares on the dome.

I am thinking either a slant or an open comb may be my best bet but hoping some of you gents may have some good suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Whilst i don't shave my head (yet), if i did, I'd use a long handle Merkur progress or Parker variant for the following reasons...

- The long handle
- Adjustability to fine tune the shave
- The head geometry for easily attaining angle
- Large lather channels to prevent clogging.

I know you asked for suggestions for a DE, but honestly a Gem Clog Pruf loaded with a PTFE blade is my go to head shaver (I generally shave my head a couple of times a week). It gives me the best results the easiest.

I use the Muhle R89, I just do a WTG and a few clean ups and I'm happy with results. Feels better than any cartridge shave I've done and no irritations.

While I mostly use vintage Schick injectors for head shaves, a Merkur 39C is excellent and I've recently been using a Baili with great success and no problems.

What about a Lady Gillette?

Cheers fellas, I am thinking I may go in the slant direction.

Been looking at the Maggards slant and open comb with one of their handles. Can anyone compare the Maggards to the Merkur?

I might have to give one a whirl.