Hey all from Sydney

LukehGee

Hi all. I'm glad to of stumbled over your corner of the web

I have been wet shaving for about 4 or so months. I took it to save money of razors, however I think I have spent more in the last few months then I would of in a year on Mach 3 blades! But I love how it has turned a mundane chore into almost a hobby. The experience of the smells is something I would never of thought I would fine myself becoming (almost) obsessed with.

Also I am amazed there seems to be such a strong community around this.

Anyways, I look forward to lurking around here and sharing this new hobby with you guys.

Welcome mate... It certainly does become a hobby, and you're quite right, liberating to actually enjoy something you've viewed as a chore for so long. A lot of people join with intention to save money, however this is probably not the best forum for that lol :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

For gear I am using an Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Razorock Plissoft brush.

So far I have tried 3 brands of soaps Proraso, Barrister and Mann and Phoniex and Beau.

My favourite scent so far would be the B&M fougere gothica. Although I got it for Christmas and feel like it has been a bit to hot to really enjoy it. I got the Fern reserve last week and feel that is much better matched for the heat. Though the smell amazing as it is does not stick around for long.

I have not tried any Australian soups yet but have tried an Australian private reserve aftershave fougere burbon rose (soap was sold out) which I really love the scent and feel, I have used it with the fern reserve.

One thing I am finding a bit frustrating is the availability of all the aftershaves!

Welcome and hope that you make it along to a meetup, where you can experience a wider range of products in sharing/discussion :)

Welcome.Reading a couple of your posts,it seems you are already well on your way down the rabbit hole.

This place can have that effect.

Haha yeah I think the journey has started.

I'm yet to buy different brushes or razors. Do different razors contribute a lot to different shave experiences? Or is it just the aesthetic?

@LukehGee welcome abroad and lovely first large order. Darkfall should be great and heard wonderful things about it. B&M is my favourite also especially the reserve base which the fougere gothica uses.
Look forward to your Shaves of the days (SOTDs).

Welcome @LukehGee!

Your story is a familiar one.
"Come for the savings. Stay for the smellies, shinies, and community"

Welcome! :)

Haha yeah I think the journey has started.

I'm yet to buy different brushes or razors. Do different razors contribute a lot to different shave experiences? Or is it just the aesthetic?

Belated welcome mate - seems like you are progressing well and enjoying the ride!

Do different razors contribute a lot to different shave experiences? - Yes, although I would actually say it is different razor/blade combinations. So in your Edwin Jagger DE89 a Feather blade will produce a different result to a Derby, or an Astra or a Rapira etc etc. In many cases the differences will be slight - and often a matter of personal taste.

When it comes to razors you have a whole range again of weights and balances, how it feels in the hand. They can be open comb or solid guard bar - different again. Blade gap and head design also contribute to aggressiveness of the shave, your Edwin Jagger DE89 is generally considered on the mild side.

So lots of fun to be had with different shaving experiences!

Welcome to P&C @LukehGee - great to have you here (y)

Blade gap and head design also contribute to aggressiveness of the shave, your Edwin Jagger DE89 is generally considered on the mild side.

Aggressiveness is due to the blade edge being stiffer? A more aggressive blade or razor gives you a closer shave in less passes?

Aggressiveness is due to the blade edge being stiffer? A more aggressive blade or razor gives you a closer shave in less passes?

Aggresiveness is due to more blade exposure or blade gap or head design. A more aggressive razor can give a closer shave in more passes and/or more nicks / weepers / irritation! Horses for courses, or more correctly, razors for beards

Aggresiveness is due to more blade exposure or blade gap or head design. A more aggressive razor can give a closer shave in more passes and/or more nicks / weepers / irritation! Horses for courses, or more correctly, razors for beards
That would be a great test!

”Which hardware is best when shaving your horse? The ever mild Gillette Tech or the super aggressive Mühle R41? See the amazing results* after tonight's episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians"...

*Spoiler: It doesn't end well. :D