HHT (Honing Hair Test)

Jamie

My own personal version of the HHT.

I use a fairly long hair so has to create as little resistance as possible, and a very slow movement, this tells me two things one I can rule out my own pressure and downward force involvement in the test, and secondly by picking a longer hair you can also rule out the hair creating a greater resistance than needs be, so you can come to the conclusion that your edge has reached the optimum sharpness through your honing progression, I have seen loads of videos where it shows the HHT and I don't except their method technique or findings.

PS so there are two elements that I leave out of my tests, I see many people who use this test practice, number (1) a shorter hair thus creating more resistance means a less sharp razor will also seem to cut easier, and number (2) force and speed of movement which will also make a less sharp razor cut easier.

Will create an issue for many - were to get a long piece of hair :D :D :D

Good demo vid @Jamie . I use my stomach hairs,those things are tough.Hold the blade about 3/4" above the skin and lightly pass the blade through the hair and if it cuts then I know I am pretty right to go.I will try this method though...two daughters under 11 equals plenty of long hair.

Excellent video demo @Jamie.

A couple of questions?

How do you personally test your bevel set?
What is you hone progression?
Have you done a video of your honing method?

Steve

Steve,

My progression starts with a Chosera 1K bevel setter, the rest of the lineup 3K Chosera 5K Chosera 8K Naniwa Snow White 12K Naniwa 20K Suehiro Gokumyo, how I judge firstly I check the entire edge with my x10 Belomo triplet loupe, if everything looks fine I then check how well it cuts hair along the whole length of the blade, it should easily shave the hairs on your arms off the 1K all the magic happens on the 1K the rest of the progression just becomes a small step purely edge refinement, always remember the most important stone you will ever own is that 1K stone.