Hi from Brisbane

TroyTools

Hello all, a new member here in Brisbane. Having recently left the rat-race workforce temporarily, I have been able to slow down and take a bit of time out for myself to enjoy the finer things in life (and feed the addiction and buy enormous amounts of new tools too (Thanks Tony F. :D)). Imagine my surprise when I found out there are better ways to shave than the heathen way I have been for many years. So I dug out that old Gillette safety razor and blades that I knew were too good to throw away, made myself a few new brushes, and now I feel just so young and cool again. How good it is to be able to turn the tables on the women in my household and hog the bathroom myself for nothing more than a nice long shave. Looking forward to indulging in "shaving like a man" again, and this forum is clearly the place to learn, share and enjoy. Thank you.

Hi @TroyTools, sounds like you've already got a good handle on the most fun part of this rabbit-hole, the DIY make-your-own-solution part. Congratulations.

Incidentally, my recommendation for an image hosting site is Postimages, but of course there are plenty more. If you want to post multiple images in a sequence, Imgur isn't too bad if you don't mind them selecting the image size. (Optimum is generally 950x712 for modern devices, 640x480 to be conservative.)

As promised, quick photo below of what I have turned and polished over the long weekend, including today.
Firstly though, Credit where it's due. Sincere thanks go to Tony Forsyth for the materials and knowledge I am having so much fun with now.
These blanks were cast but never used, so I don't claim these resin blanks to be my own work. These are what I made from them. But I just can't wait to start pouring resin!!!!

Be gentle, I'm still playing with curve lines, features, sizes, knot combinations, loft heights etc etc. You know how involved all of this can be, the subtleties are endless.
Only 3 knots are glued in, the rest are just sitting until I'm happy with loft specs (I might remount on the lathe to do some tuning if needed, or just for fun)
yj1o52G.jpg

Welcome to P&C @TroyTools - great to have you here (y)

As promised, quick photo below of what I have turned and polished over the long weekend, including today.
Firstly though, Credit where it's due. Sincere thanks go to Tony Forsyth for the materials and knowledge I am having so much fun with now.
These blanks were cast but never used, so I don't claim these resin blanks to be my own work. These are what I made from them. But I just can't wait to start pouring resin!!!!

Be gentle, I'm still playing with curve lines, features, sizes, knot combinations, loft heights etc etc. You know how involved all of this can be, the subtleties are endless.
Only 3 knots are glued in, the rest are just sitting until I'm happy with loft specs (I might remount on the lathe to do some tuning if needed, or just for fun)
yj1o52G.jpg

Nice work for a novice. From the multiple colours and various thicknesses in 1 & 2 looks like you scored the slop bucket blanks as well

yj1o52G.jpg
Hello mate, the second from the left looks lovely. Nice work

From the multiple colours and various thicknesses in 1 & 2 looks like you scored the slop bucket blanks as well
Hello mate, the second from the left looks lovely. Nice work

Well spotted, the slop buckets were the first ones I did. Needed to feel how the tools cut resin, how deep and fast you can and can't cut, sand and polish regime and techniques, etc. For the slop buckets, they turned not too bad. Don't know how stable they'll be though, hopefully won't break across a colour join midshave.

Nice work @TroyTools and welcome!

If you picked up half of @Tony Forsyth's knowledge as well as his tools you will be off to a great start :)
Thanks Mark. Yes I now have some really nice tools out of Tony's collection. Everthing to do with shave handle making I now have. They didn't even need cleaning, thats how well he looked after his gear. Much up close tuition went along with them as well. Thanks Tony :D