Hi from Melb!

neongas

Greetings! So this is the rabbit hole that is wet shaving. I shouldn't be surprised though as I'm a serial hobbyist (photography, transformers, action figures, guitars) so how would this be any different :p

Been using Mach3s since forever until recently I think I got a dud batch of cartridges which dulled so quick and gave me terrible shaves. So I took the plunge and bought a Henson Mild and a Qshave Adjustable with magnetic top cap (don't judge). Been going ok with both but surprisingly the Qshave seems to be giving me better shaves overall (maybe its not as picky with blades) than the Henson which I think needs sharper blades to be good. It did all right with the included Astra SPs and Qshave blades (supposedly Personna blues). Tried a Dorco St-300 which was given to me and it was meh. And then an impulse buy of King C Gilette at $21 special at Coles, which I actually quite enjoy using, as the King C blades are quite smooth and sharp, rumored to be Nacets.

So in the month since I started, I've probably clocked up an unhealthy amount of time reading reviews on razors and blades and I now have a Razorock Lupo SS 72 and Muhle R96 Rocca on the way. Thanks to everyone for their shared knowledge and curse you lot for your enabling!

Welcome aboard @neongas, good to have another virtual voice on our little forum. Cost is no barrier here - solutions that work from Coles/Woolies are just as valid as boutique offerings from overseas costing hundreds of dollars, and we all can have insights that help everyone else...

Hello and welcome! I'm a new member myself and currently only own the King C Gillette. I'll be keen to hear what you think of the other razors when they arrive!

I'm debating between various purchases, notably a Rockwell 6s/6c or Karve razor as they have changeable baseplates. I've currently joined the Pearl Flexi group buy to get my hands on essentially the Rex Ambassador knock off and am not sure if I should try another razor in the meantime or just wait until that goes through.

I really like the King C Gillette blades as well, although I wouldn't buy them at the price Coles charges haha.

Haven't heard the term serial hobbyist before but that's definitely me...photography, 3D printing, drone racing, trail riding, bouldering and now DE shaving! I've convinced myself shaving is different though because I will always need to shave and I don't always need to go race drones haha!

Welcome to P&C @neongas - great to have you here (y)

I'm debating between various purchases, notably a Rockwell 6s/6c or Karve razor as they have changeable baseplates. I've currently joined the Pearl Flexi group buy to get my hands on essentially the Rex Ambassador knock off and am not sure if I should try another razor in the meantime or just wait until that goes through.

I really like the King C Gillette blades as well, although I wouldn't buy them at the price Coles charges haha.

@Castcore my recommendation would be a Rockwell 6S as you get all the plates and it’s readily available. It’s a solid razor and will last a lifetime.
Pick a plate and a maintain the same set up (brush, soap, and blade) until you can achieve a consistently good shave. For me this is a crucial step.
As for other adjustables, they are not all that they are cracked up to be. How may SOTD pictures do you see with adjustables? Many beginners assume that an adjustable is the answer but in my experience it rarely is.
Shaving is a lifetime journey, you will likely accumulate more shaving gear than you will ever need, there is no need to rush especially when starting out.
Just my two cents.

$14 for 10 blades? bargain!! :p

Haven't heard the term serial hobbyist before but that's definitely me...photography, 3D printing, drone racing, trail riding, bouldering and now DE shaving! I've convinced myself shaving is different though because I will always need to shave and I don't always need to go race drones haha!

My wife has a different, less flattering term for it lol.