Hi from Sydney

Old+School

Hi all,

I am a wet shaver in Sydney, using DE razors mainly. Can't say I have a favourite razor or blade as I have a few that I really like and a few that I dislike too. Suffer from RAD as many of us do... is there a cure? I enjoy trying different razors, blades, soaps, creams etc.

I shave pretty much everyday and my wife dislike facial hair... grown a moustache only twice in my life (for movember) and a goatie once, didn't like the itchiness.

Own a couple of SRs but never got into it due to learning curve. So got a feather SS folding recently, haven't got around to using it yet. I figured the feather SS is like the DE of SRs design wise and that's it's an injector style. I am looking forwards to trying it soon, the day will hit me and I'll give it a go. Probably just do a WTG pass and DE clean up to start the ball rolling.

I like brush and bowl lathers due to being able to perfect a lather using a precise amount and think modern synthetics have become pretty good.

Would very much like to see men everywhere give plastic disposables razor, cartridges and canned supermarket products the flick, help the environment and switch to "traditional" shaving like D.E. or S.E. razors. Also enjoy supporting the little guy by buying artisan products.

Another point I'd like to make is that the whole canned products and disposables came into existence because of marketing and profit making. Though I really do lay the responsibility at the feet of those who did not pass on the tradition of shaving to the next generation. I do see a place for cartridges in the marketplace but more for people who are on blood thinner, have parkinsons etc. I encourage those men whom I get to know to try DE shaving and gift products. I've been honoured to teach men older than myself how to do a DE shave as they should have been taught my their fathers.

Interesting story, I met a gentleman today in Castle Hill... we spoke about shaving and he mentioned he has some SRs that he has, as he collects old things especially from the 20's, 30's and 40's... he was in his late 50's and said his late father use to use them... "with the whole brush and lather thing"... I saw something in his eye as he recounted the story... That my friends is why I think we need to pass on these skills and keep the tradition alive.

Please accept me as part of this online community...

John

Welcome @Old+School !

Absolutely - we want ALL men (and women) to use traditional wet-shaving tools :)

Welcome to P&C @Old+School - great to have you here (y)