Hone of the Day

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
12027110_10203786560142939_8900580972614911658_o.jpg

What a great way to spend the weekend so far. Had a new project. Swapped a Wade & Butcher wedge blade (no scales) for a Puma 89 blade only with a mate. What can I say I'm a sucker for Soligen.

So first up was fitting the scales. Just a cheap interim job for now, but was happy enough with the result...did my first peining without incident.

Then to the stones. The bevel took some attention setting as there's a small dent/warp in the blade. But I think I got it...eventually. The Chosera 1k did great work. Followed on the Shapton 5k, which was a nice step between the Chosera and jnats. I absolutely love spending time with the natural stones...anyway preaching to the choir here I know. So Botan, Tenjyu and then Mejiro and then wet laps all on the Honyama Asagi Tomae...all thanks to @Mark of course!

12030374_10203786559902933_8777929676979881833_o.jpg

Now for the shave...

I am a convert!

I can feel the excitement oozing out of the post mate...
Great photos and great idea for a thread. (Although I'd be mighty impressed if it was a HOTD- more like HOTWeek [emoji6]).

My Filarmonica #14 gets a treat here.

Progression:
My most trusted 1k Chosera for bevel set
Midrange work - soft and very fast Nakayama Maruichi Kiita prefinisher
Finish - Very hard Nakayama Maruichi Kamisori

Fili_zpssrbcwbrz.png

Now this is more like it. About time mate (y)

That is an absolutely gorgeous razor. Treasure her always or otherwise remember my PM address. Also you got a nice slurry up on the Chosera mate. Do you give it a good going over with the DMT for starters? I normally take the Atoma for a spin before I start but have never gotten this amount of yeti snot going on it.
...and what slurry you got going on the kiita?

Twin set of Vintage Thiers Issard #14 7/8 Bellied hollow ground.

One finished on my Nakayama the other on my Ozuku Asagi to have a choice between 2 slightly different edges during the rotation.

12071667_10204864367680013_344975027_n-2_zpsbrx3w6xb.jpg

This notion of customising your edges, especially to get the most out of different metals and grinds, is what intrigues me most and will be my undoing acquisition-wise I suspect. :sick: Can you talk us through the 2 slightly different edges on the same metal and grind, what have you achieved on these TI?

Also you got a nice slurry up on the Chosera mate. Do you give it a good going over with the DMT for starters? I normally take the Atoma for a spin before I start but have never gotten this amount of yeti snot going on it.
...and what slurry you got going on the kiita?

I basically draw a quick grid line on my chosera and I give her a good beating with the Atoma #400 to lap it flat and the slurry comes as a bonus. The more slurry, the more aggressive it will cut, and the more aggressive the more laps you will need to do on plain water for clean ups before moving onto the next stone. This Fili was dull as a spoon when I first got it. If the bevel was in good shape I would draw the edge on the stone and set the bevel on the shapton 5k instead and ease into it nice and slow to ensure that not much metal is getting wasted.

The slurry I use on my natural stones are base slurry that I generate with my worn out DMT or Atoma 1200, both work perfectly and aren't too rough on the stone. I don't play with naguras as often as I use to due to having courser Jnats that act very similar but I try to give them some love when possible.

This notion of customising your edges, especially to get the most out of different metals and grinds, is what intrigues me most and will be my undoing acquisition-wise I suspect. :sick: Can you talk us through the 2 slightly different edges on the same metal and grind, what have you achieved on these TI?

No matter what, different stones will always give you different edges, even if they're from the same mine and layer. No 2 natural stones are the same, both are equally as good, I can't say that one's better than the other, they're just as keen, they cut the same, they're both buttery and smooth but have a different feel to them, I guess that would be the hardest part to explain but can certainly tell them apart. I guess it's the same with synthetics too, different brands, different compounds, even the number of laps on a strop makes a difference in the edge. It's actually harder replicating an edge if anything.

Great info here, bookmarked, thanks @Mark - esp. love the last part, reads like the introduction to "The Metaphysics of Honing" ;)
No matter what, different stones will always give you different edges, even if they're from the same mine and layer. No 2 natural stones are the same, both are equally as good, I can't say that one's better than the other, they're just as keen, they cut the same, they're both buttery and smooth but have a different feel to them, I guess that would be the hardest part to explain but can certainly tell them apart. I guess it's the same with synthetics too, different brands, different compounds, even the number of laps on a strop makes a difference in the edge. It's actually harder replicating an edge if anything.

I got in on the action.

OszBKKk.jpg

All three kamis got a touch up with water. (The nagura was only used for a gentle lapping at the end. Which nagura is best suited for this job?) Some needed more work than others. By the time I was finished, all three edges were reaching out to grab my thumb pad. Let's see how they shave now.

The small Fujisuke was noticeably more difficult to hone than the others. It wanted to suck down on to the hone. I wonder if a very very sparse slurry would help it glide a little more?

I got in on the action.

OszBKKk.jpg

All three kamis got a touch up with water. (The nagura was only used for a gentle lapping at the end. Which nagura is best suited for this job?) Some needed more work than others. By the time I was finished, all three edges were reaching out to grab my thumb pad. Let's see how they shave now.

The small Fujisuke was noticeably more difficult to hone than the others. It wanted to suck down on to the hone. I wonder if a very very sparse slurry would help it glide a little more?

This brings a tear to my eye. Great set-up and a fellow traveller along the same part of the route. Looking forward to journeying with you for many, many a mile to come my friend.

Last edited:
HOTD

Bevel set: Chosera 1k (we all know what that big green sucker looks like)
Newly acquired Gevoso Solingen blade, had lots of nasty microchips, eventually scared them off.

Midwork: This is a very fast and unique looking Shiro Suita. It's a workhorse for midrange work, wiped the 1k scratches with some slurry which is yellow, red and pink. This stone is full of colours, photos don't do justice. Final strokes on plain water.

Finish: Nakayama Maruichi Koppa, very fine and results are very promising and consistent as always.

Gevoso-2_zpshd7jw8ae.jpg

Yes yet the results are in the shave, how did that go ?

Pumas are brilliant shavers, if anything I slightly prefer them over the Henckels but thats personal preference. I recall you removing a slight frown, I'm guessing you honed it flat to cause that sharp point? When removing a frown you want to hone it like a smiling blade to put that little bit of curve on the toe, a 100% straight bevel isn't what you should aim for. Easiest way to fix it without removing too much precious steel is to go back to your 5k and mute the point (and heel if necessary) just run it down the side of the stone once or twice, that will leave a burr at the very point, hone it out on the 5k using x-strokes which will concentrate more towards the point and carry on with the progression. They take Jnat edges very well too.
@Mark, mate, your advice rang in my ears all morning, couldn't get back to sleep....so I went and hit the stones. Followed the Scallywag's instructions to the letter. The Puma's toe was in a bit of a mess but shaped it on the Shapton 5k and polished things up through the nagura set of three.

11224624_10203800647335110_5864447850452196023_n.jpg

some fresh Mejiro slurry...oh yeah!

Finishing on clear water. First ever early morning hone, weirdly addictive and I kind of felt guilty and a little naughty sneaking back into the house...though the wife didn't wake so she's none the wiser to my small lonely pleasures on the stones.

Never looked so forward to shave.