Hones of the day

Started by lapping my Sungari CNat with cheap Chinese diamond plates (300, 400, 600) followed by an Atoma 600. Set the bevel on the Ralf Aust with a Suehiro Cerax 1k, then 3K. Followed that with Shapton 8K and finally used Mejiro nagura slurry on the CNat followed by Koma slurry. Pretty happy with the edge but the ultimate test will come later today.
qzO0mFc.jpg

nW53MQO.jpg

[

Started by lapping my Sungari CNat with cheap Chinese diamond plates (300, 400, 600) followed by an Atoma 600. Set the bevel on the Ralf Aust with a Suehiro Cerax 1k, then 3K. Followed that with Shapton 8K and finally used Mejiro nagura slurry on the CNat followed by Koma slurry. Pretty happy with the edge but the ultimate test will come later today.

No images showing up, Bernie... :(

Spent most of the day honing three Filarmonica Doble Temple 12's that arrived. I took a bit of a gamble as the vendors photos weren't great but they've honed up OK despite a big dent in the edge of one of them (See Acquisitions).
Bevel set with Suehiro Cerax 1K/3k, then Shapton 8K and Naniwa SS 12K. Finally Nagura slurries (Mejiro and Koma) using my new CNat as an awasedo.
WIpxv2C.jpg

I generally go 5 shaves before a touch up. I have a tough beard, and I enjoy a fresh edge. I also have a toolbox full of expensive rocks that I need to justify... 😋
😂
5? Most of the guys use a DE blades for longer😂.
I think the last reason is the one😂👍🏻
And obviously if you have a right gear, skills, time and you like it then why not. I believe for some ppl it can be more fun than actual shaving😂

It is definitely meditative: solitary repetitive action with a singular focus. A fresh sharp edge is just a byproduct! :)
👍🏻
And if you refresh the edge so often what is the procedure? Just finishing stone for 10 laps (like some youtubers advice) or full honing process?
How much time do you need to refresh the edge?
Also are you using all of your razors and when they are 5 uses each you go and refresh all of them or you like to hone 1-2 times a week just one razor?

And if you refresh the edge so often what is the procedure? Just finishing stone for 10 laps (like some youtubers advice) or full honing process?
How much time do you need to refresh the edge?

Depends. Sometimes, you just want to experiment or switch it up; so I might move from a JNat edge to a slate, or an Ark.

I'll generally go back to the bevel after three or so touchups.

Also are you using all of your razors and when they are 5 uses each you go and refresh all of them or you like to hone 1-2 times a week just one razor?

No, I like honing, but I find that honing more than one or two razors in a session starts to feel more like work than pleasure, so I try and spread them out. I don't post them all here because I don't want to swamp the thread... :D

Intended this to be just a touchup, but a look under the loupe revealed a deformation of the edge a third of the way down the blade. Jointing the edge left a series of small chips, so back to the SG2k for a new bevel we went. Then Iromono with a diamond slurry, before Ozuku with botan then koma, finishing on water. Shave in the morning.

jLlee5k.jpg

Testing out this small stone, about 3"x3", not super hard, maybe 4.5, but with a hint of cool tiger shark pattern. A few sets of circles on a small amount of slurry, went black pretty fast and killed the edge. Washed most of the slurry away and did X strokes on water for 5 minutes or so. Results was an excellent HHT and a great shave.

W3sIAzW.jpeg